Playing Final Fantasy 1 for the first time

Yeah, I still have my old cart of FF1, but like you, i’m not feeling going back and putting myself through that. I’ll just play DoS.

I always wanted to go through and beat FF1,2,4,5,6,7,8, and 9 on the ps1 so that I could have like an “ultimate-ff” memory card, but I never got around to it. Now I don’t even think i’ll ever buy another console or handheld system; pc is where it’s at for me.

The first few times I played, I beat Garland at level 1-2 without any equipment. I’d generally wind up with a mostly dead party. The reason being that I didn’t know you had to equip weapons and armor in order to be able to use them so I always went in barehanded. Luckily you don’t have to equip magic, because that’s all I could do to him. (Punching at level 1 sucks.)

Yeah, they really nerfed FF1.

I remember beating it way back in the day and getting the best feeling of accomplisment. I recently replayed the remake of FF1 and was a bit disappointed with how easy it was. Sure, the unlimited inventory thing is good. And certain things like if you were attacking a monster that is now dead, you’ll attack a different one. Those helped with flaws in the original game. But they did way too much to make the game easier as opposed to just smoother.

Who cares, the bonus dungeons are awesome, and FF2 is obviously the better game! Well, maybe that’s a matter of opinion but I really enjoyed FF2.

Blech, I can’t stand FF2.

Now now, is battles that require you to actually think, instead of just holding A really a flaw?

FF1 was never hard, people. It didn’t require extensive levelling, the game can easily be beaten at around level 25. It didn’t require hours of moneymaking each time you reached a new town either, jusy buy what you can afford, leave the other things for later. An armor that ups your defense by 2 isn’t required for the next dungeon.

What it did require, however, was to know your enemies. Fighting a bunch of poisonous snakes is a bad idea, as they don’t give you enough experience and gold, and most of your party will end up poisoned, which is simply not worth it. Sure, you wouldn’t know these enemies can poison the first time you meet them, but the next time, you’ll know what you’re up against, and run away. Same with monsters that can stun (extremely annoying), petrify (eep) and instantly kill characters (argh). Learn what the different monsters do, and run from stuff that are too much trouble. (and of course, also remember to spread out your attack, and have a decent idea of how much HP a monster has, so you know how many hits it takes to kill it) That is the entire secret of FF1. It’s not a hard game.

I still have my FFI-II Famicom cart and the Origins remake, both being great games. I actually did purchase DoS, but quickly sold it. I’ve never played a more disappoiting remake in my life. Ew

F2 is an awesome game as well. Just like FF1, this one also requires you to use your head a bit more than your regular RPG, and is hated by an even greater amount of people, most of which don’t know how to play the game.
(The secret to FF2? Wear light armor. That’s it. Light armor will give you great agility, which, due to the way the game calculates damage, is what really does the trick in battles. Oh, and most magic sucks. Apart from some enemies who can only be harmed by magic, you only really need Cure and Life (and maybe Esuna).

I think most RPG players have an innate dislike of running away from anything.

Yeah, I tried playing FF2 but it really couldn’t hold my attention. Most games can’t nowadays though.

Except the fearsome high-school bully! :runaway:

I remember spending weeks on it, just to have a bug fart across the street and cause the NES to reset erasing my data.

I do like the PSX version though, a good “upgrade”, but i still sometimes like the nostalgic charm of playing the old cart.

Same here. PC and PS2, don’t need anything else.

However, i would like to comment on FF2. I really liked FF2, because you can create your own classes. I also find it interesting because this is the first game to start the “character death” trend(and probably has the highest death-list) and also introduces us to the Beastmaster/Tamer.

FF2 also had the first real story. FF1 had a story but uh yeah… FF2’s was more indepth I’d say.

I remember the cart of FFI. Crazy stuff, took me forever to beat it. Not helped along by the fact it wouldn’t save. :confused:

dont use weapons untill he is around Level 10-15

I felt a little cheated when I beat FFI on the Origins comp instead of my NES copy. Everytime I played it, right at the end, somethign would happen and my data would get erased. I played the origins version the “original way” I dont know how true it stayed to the original, I just remember missing. A lot. Sounds like they made DOS way too easy. Pathetic.

The first time I played the first ff on cart, I was like, six or seven years old, and did not quite understand the exploration part of the game, but the battle system was fun, I sat on the first viewable world map, just leveling for the longest time, then again, I did not get to game as much back then as I was not allowed to play too much at one time, by the time I turned ten, my party averaged level 38 or so, and I kinda blazed through the game. I have played my cart copy since, but only barely managed to keep a save long enough to finish it any more. But when a friend of mine hangs their head and says: “I have never played the original Final Fantasy” I offer DoS on my game boy player for gc, to get the experience even if its a watered down one.

Whoa whoa, maybe you’ve got it a bit backwards here, eh? The monk sucks without weapons for the first few levels (well, the first 12 levels on the original, the remakes, level 3ish) but if you use weapons with him after the points described previously, yeah, you suck at life.