Performing arts in RPGs

Of all I would say the Waltz On The Moon (Pardon if I got the title wrong) in FF8 was good.:enguard:

FFX has professional sports. Which I don’t recall seeing in any other RPG (though of course I haven’t played all RPGs, so anyone who wants to point out another one, feel free to jump right in).

But yeah, there does seem to be a dearth of culture in RPGs. “Culture” seems to basically be summed up by standing around and living in fear of whatever horrific evil YOU have to go deal with.

Of course, if they DO start adding more performance art and “culture” to RPGs, they’ll probably do it in the form of more longer, drawn out, unskippable-by-mashing-the-triangle-button Full Motion Videos. Just to piss me off and wish I never asked for more performance art.

Of course, maybe the reason why so many citizens of RPG towns live lives so deficient of high culture (or even pop culture) and performance art is because the ONE AND ONLY opera house in the world is always located way far away from town, accessible only by a long, monster-infested hike through the overworld map. :stuck_out_tongue:

Dude: “Hey man, wanna go to the Opera House?”

Guy: “Nah, last time I tried to go, a Basilisk killed my entire family by turning them to stone with its Petrify Breath.”

Dude: “Oh, bummer.”

Guy: “Yeah. So after that I cancelled my season tickets.”

Dude: “Of course.”

Originally posted by Admiral Nagumo
Of all I would say the Waltz On The Moon (Pardon if I got the title wrong) in FF8 was good.:enguard:

i mentioned that song earlyer.
:moogle:
and the song is called (eyes on you)

Kaiser, there were chocobos in Jidoor. If someone could afford an opera ticket, I’m certain they could afford the price for a chocobo. Aha!

Originally posted by cait sith
i mentioned that song earlyer.
:moogle:
and the song is called (eyes on you)

The song you’re talking about is Eyes on Me.

The song he’s talking about is Waltz for the Moon (unless of course, he is talking about a different song, there’s some midis in the FFC if you want to double check).

And this isn’t about soundtracks, this is about perdorming arts in the game world. Altho I suppose EoM could be included, since according to the storyline Julia wrote it, and what she does is considered a performing art. Don’t see too many piano-playing songstresses in the gaming world, now do we?

Originally posted by Dragonessa
[b]The song you’re talking about is Eyes on Me.

The song he’s talking about is Waltz for the Moon (unless of course, he is talking about a different song, there’s some midis in the FFC if you want to double check).

And this isn’t about soundtracks, this is about perdorming arts in the game world. Altho I suppose EoM could be included, since according to the storyline Julia wrote it, and what she does is considered a performing art. Don’t see too many piano-playing songstresses in the gaming world, now do we? [/b]

no we dont do we?

and whats perdorming??:moogle: :moogle: :moogle: :moogle:

It’s called a typo.

Don’t make fun of people for it.

We have more important things to do than check every minor detail in our posts.

Well. Most of us do.

steers away from things that make her grumpy for the time being

:hyperven: :runaway: :moogle: :hyperven: :runaway: :moogle: :
yes dance dance dance puppet dance!!

Oh see, I absolutely loved the performance in Chrono Cross. I didn’t think it was boring at all, but rather I was on the edge of my chair with my mouth hanging open, I think, because I was entranced by that scene. I thought it was so cool!

Originally posted by Cybercompost
Kaiser, there were chocobos in Jidoor. If someone could afford an opera ticket, I’m certain they could afford the price for a chocobo. Aha!

Ah, yes, but what about the RETURN TRIP?

Choco’s disappear after you get off them in FF6 world. :stuck_out_tongue:

That is because the chocobo owner doesn’t like the heroes. They never give them the good chocobos because they look like a bunch of fucking bums, even Edgar.

Also, they’ve been wearing the same clothes the whole game, and FFVI is loooong.

FF6 is completely masterable in 25 hours. I wouldn’t call that long. It took me 80+ hours to master Shinobi, and it’s not even an RPG.

Originally posted by Tomiko
FF6 is completely masterable in 25 hours. I wouldn’t call that long. It took me 80+ hours to master Shinobi, and it’s not even an RPG.

For its time, FFVI was very, very damned long. =p

Dude. It plays for 40-some hours if you get everything and learn a few spells, but like. Dude. In game time, more than a year goes by. And they’re STILL wearing the same clothes. Yeah, I’d say they’re a little grubby. :stuck_out_tongue:

gigle