This paint job was experimental and not meant to be anywhere near pro, but I like it anyway, even though it’s totally ghetto. Take a look:
<a href=“http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll248/mikeweedmark/Guitar1.jpg”>Sanded down.</a> I deliberately didn’t sand the heel of the neck, because, well, fuck that.
<a href=“http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll248/mikeweedmark/Guitar2.jpg”>Masked up.</a> I wasn’t doing the entire thing, just the sides and neck, so I masked the back and front, which I wanted to keep.
<a href=“http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll248/mikeweedmark/Guitar3.jpg”>After a few coats, I think.</a> The paint is still wet here and looks all gooey and has a bad case of orange peel. I take care of that later.
<a href=“http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll248/mikeweedmark/Guitar4.jpg”>Masking off.</a> I had to re-mask it differently later, in order to hit different parts with polyurethane.
<a href=“http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll248/mikeweedmark/Guitar5.jpg”>Poly’d.</a> Still lots of orange peel. Time for wetsanding, buffing, and polishing.
<a href=“http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll248/mikeweedmark/Guitar6.jpg”>Pretty much done.</a> It’s nice and smooth, and shiney. I didn’t get rid of every little imperfection, because that would’ve been a huge waste of my time. It could still use some swirl remover here, but fuck that.
My goal was to make it only just pro enough for it not to look like a diy job from more than a few feet away. I think I did pretty good.