Ouch, we got fucked.

A 3.7 in high school is not hard to get, esp if you take AP and honors classes that give you the extra GPA point per grade. A 3.0 avg if you took nothing but honors is a C average. While she didn’t do just honors classes, a 3.7 isn’t impressive considering the context. The thing also doesn’t mention what her AP test scores were, which makes me wonder if they were on par with a C average. Just a description of the girls’ interests remind me of the airheads at my high school. Santa Barbara is very white partying shit hole. She’s a cheerleader. Do the math.

And SATs are meaningless considering bias in standardized testing.

A few things:

1. Not all cheerleaders are airheads. I’ve known plenty of them that get 3.5 GPAs with AP classes. You’re just repeating an ancient stereotype that should have died out centuries ago.

2. Just because SATs are useless doesn’t mean they don’t get counted. In fact, most schools STILL put SAT scores on the top of their list. The problem is, admissions are still run by idiots; in fact, admissions is the place where they push all the idiots who don’t deserve to work at anything above fry clerk at Burger King, but still have to hire because they’re related to either a powerful person at the college or some government official with the power to cut their funding (which is the reason why private universities don’t have this problem). Sorry, Sin, but you put too much faith into the people running the place.

My previous posts about what extra curriculars and SATs show that I don’t have faith in the system. I’m not sure where you got it the other way around.

And a 3.5 and “taking” AP classes means little as I already alluded to. Its not cuz you took it that you performed or did anything but fit your role in the group. I’ve been in the same classes as the airheads you’re trying to defend and no I’m not supporting a stereotype but presenting actual observations. Hell, I still notice it now since I tutor them so they can pass their freakin’ classes :P.

Yes, but the scale is still 4.0 standard. Also, not everyone takes AP classes to get closer. Also, hat may be easy for you may be difficult for others. If those sort of grades were easy to get, then the admission standards would have been raised a long time ago to match accordingly. However, most people don’t get 4.0s, so the scale is lower and closer to a 3.0.

And an honors 3.0 is a C average.

I know that, I took AP classes in high school too. What I’m saying is that you have to look at the average person. The averge person will have something lower than a 3.5. Forget the AP grades and jsut look at the GPA grades on a whole and it is pretty good. If everyone was getting 3.7s and 4.0s, then this wouldn’t even be an issue, hwoever, most people don’t get those sort of grades, most people get much lower, like maybe around a 3.0. If most people are getting 3.0s, then that si rpetty good. Honors, smonors, it’s the GPA that matters. By sayign that a 3.7 isn’t that ahrd, you are taking sort of an elitist view and syaing that only smart people can go to college, not the average person.

Yeah I am. I never saw anything good in anything average. Community colleges were built to deal with the average people so everyone could get some form of degree (however useless and meaningless).

Sin, you’re just trying to conform to the societal mould of being Hitler. It’s not cuz you rant about “airheads” that you performed or did anything but fit your role in the group of being Hitler. Don’t make me refer to my scientific illustration of this fact. Anyway, community colleges were actually built to teach technical skills to people who weren’t going to go off and master the abstract sciences, which is far from useless or meaningless.

How useful is taking miriad, shallow general ed classes? Don’t tech schools fulfill the role of technical skills?

And average is a very loose term and when I say average, I hope people recognize that it involves a wide spectrum of people, not just grades :P. Which of course would cut off even more people from college, but that would definetly be unfair and I wouldn’t be able to contest that, despite how irritating some of my classes can be. You can’t deny that college is often a continuation of the same jacking off as high school, nothing more than an extra level of babysitting.

They should, but the quality of such schools in this country isn’t very high.

Like pretty much everyone who had a well-adjusted, normal adolescence, heh.

True.

Well, community colleges were also built to help people with less money have a stepping stone to a 4 year degree.

And I’m equally surprised these people didn’t get into Riverside. Everyone gets accepted, but hardly anyone goes, from my experience. Hell, they even gave me a scholarship to get me to go (though I didn’t) ;p

Anyway, there are alot of really stupid people who get into the UCs regardless, and some smart people who don’t. Those’re the breaks. It won’t kill you to go to CSU or community college for two years and then transfer up. What matters is what graduate school you go to, anyway.

There is nothing wrong with graduating from a CSU. Also, if you don’t get accepted to a UC and you want to go, it is easier to go to a community college than a regular one to transfer. Also, CSU are gettign higher requirements too, not just UCs. What is happening to UCs has already happened to CSUs.

Like I said, it matters what graduate school you go to (if you go to one, anyway). I have nothing against CSU or community colleges. I took Japanese at a local community college while in high school, and I liked my professors very much.

Maybe CSU getting higher requirements will motivate some people to work harder…? shrugs