OSCARS ARE ON TONIGHT!!!

Sin: It’s Reneé Zellweger. The movie was “Jerry Maguire”. I think she has let herself “go” so she can play the part of less-sexy characters these days, like in “Bridget Jones’ Diary.” I’ll bet she could be beautiful again pretty easily, but staying average might be a better career choice for her.

Buh, I watched part of it and personally I think the Oscars this year are crap compared to last year. Chris Rock was pathetic when you compare him to Billy Crystal’s performance last year (and there’s been some controversy over a few of his comments). That aside, this year in general for movies has been pretty awful, and it was the few good ones (Finding Neverland, Ray, etc.) that got most of the nominations. The real highlights were Robin Williams and The Incredibles winning Best Animated Film.

Oh, and Wil, I sent you an ICQ message two days ago, you ought to check.

Om: Nobody was more disappointed about Crystal not being the host than me. But I still think Rock did a fair job. (I’ll have to read about his remarks to see which ones are being thought of as controversial.)

Oh, and I responded to your PM, didn’t you get it??

List of Winners:

Best motion picture of the year: Million Dollar Baby
Clint Eastwood, Albert S. Ruddy and Tom Rosenberg

Best foreign language film: The Sea Inside Spain

Best documentary feature: Born into Brothels
Zana Briski and Ross Kauffman

Best animated feature film of the year: The Incredibles
Brad Bird

Performance by an actor in a leading role: Jamie Foxx
Ray

Performance by an actress in a leading role: Hilary Swank
Million Dollar Baby

Performance by an actor in a supporting role: Morgan Freeman
Million Dollar Baby

Performance by an actress in a supporting role: Cate Blanchett
The Aviator

Original screenplay: Story by Charlie Kaufman, Michel Gondry and Pierre Bismuth; screenplay by Charlie Kaufman
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Adapted screenplay: Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor
Sideways

Achievement in art direction

* The Aviator 

Art Direction Dante Ferretti; Set Decoration: Francesca Lo Schiavo

Achievement in makeup

* Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events 

Valli O’Reilly and Bill Corso

Achievement in costume design

* The Aviator 

Sandy Powell

Achievement in film editing

* The Aviator 

Thelma Schoonmaker

Achievement in visual effects

* Spider-Man 2 

John Dykstra, Scott Stokdyk, Anthony LaMolinara and John Frazier

Best live action short film

* Wasp 

Andrea Arnold

Best animated short film

* Ryan 

Chris Landreth

Achievement in cinematography

* The Aviator 

Robert Richardson

Achievement in sound mixing

* Ray 

Scott Millan, Greg Orloff, Bob Beemer and Steve Cantamessa

Achievement in sound editing

* The Incredibles 

Michael Silvers and Randy Thom

Best documentary short subject

* Mighty Times: The Children's March 

Robert Hudson and Bobby Houston

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)

* Finding Neverland 

Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)

* "Al Otro Lado Del Río" from The Motorcycle Diaries 

Music and Lyric by Jorge Drexler

Achievement in directing

* Million Dollar Baby 

Clint Eastwood

I used to like watching the oscars when I was a kid, but my interest in hollywood and it’s “gods” has jumped off a cliff into a pool of hungry sharks.

Not PM, message over ICQ.

Is speechless

Wilfredo, do you REALLY think that RAY of all movies should have won over Million Dollar Baby? Are you serious? Ray shouldn’t have even been nominated. It was alright, with a stupid ending, but it had no business even being nominated for Best Picture. Where the hell was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? That should have been nominated for Best Picture instead of Ray.

I still think it’s hilarious that Jamie Foxx won an Oscar. I remember him when he was on In Living Color, and Booty Call and stuff like that. 8 years ago, you could have never told me that Jamie Foxx would win a best actor Oscar. But his acceptance speech was hilarious, and weird, and kind of disturbing, how he kept talking about his grandma whoopin’ him. o_O

And please don’t tell me that I was the only one who was absolutely sick of Beyonce by the end of the day. Did she really have to sing 60% of the songs last night? Blech. Not that the Counting Crows were any better. I ended up rooting for Santana by default, since he was the only one that isn’t completely annoying.

I still wish Bill Murray would have won LAST year. =(

I wish Jamie Foxx would’ve won both Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor. I don’t think anyone’s ever done that in a single year, and he may well be the first to be nominated for both at the same time.

Yeah right.

Morgan Freeman is like, way cooler than Jamie Foxx. Way better actor too.

I know. I just think it would’ve been funny.

Hiryuu: You DID catch the point of my review about the Oscars being about Popularity, not Quality, right?

And Ray was more entertaining than MDB, in my personal opinion.

Other things I loved about the show:

*Robin William’s tirade about Cartoons.

*The tribute to Johnny Carson.

*The screen set in the stage floor. Cool design.

I disliked:

*The fact that they didn’t bother to show scenes from the Best Animated Short Film nominees. Why not? Saving time for the inevitable long speeches?

http://movies.msn.com/movies/Oscars/undressed?GT1=6228&photoidx=4

Nope, she’s already reverted back. Needs to find a happy medium

Yeah, she looks terrible now. She looked especially terrible at the Oscars. She needs to keep on that weight. The fact that “ultra-skinny” (like she normally is) is being described as “beautiful” by Wilfredo and “normal” (like she was in Bridget Jones) is being described as “fat” by BlueMageOne makes me really sad. =(

I ment in comparison to her usual boney self, and by movie standards she was bigger then most leading roles you see. Deadly skinny is out man, curves are back in style thankfully.

After seeing The Aviator…I thought it would win…but MDB? I’m going to have to see it now.

I never said being ‘ultraskinny’ is the same as being beautiful. And at the Oscars she looked thinner than she did in “Maguire.” And Bridget Jones is supposed to be overweight, not just normal.

Besides, we’re talking about the general public’s tastes here, not our personal ones. There are lots of women of ‘nonverage’ appearance I find very sexy. Star Jones, for one.

You said she could be beautiful again, which I assumed you meant skinny again (since her weight was what was being discussed).

And the fact that Bridget Jones is considered overweight (who by all accounts is at a perfectly healthy weight… but is considered “overweight” because of the stigma of being “fat”) by the general populace is disheartening to me too. Then again, I’m really sensitive to media pressures of women to look a certain way.

I hope we can all at least agree that she looked a lot better in the Bridget Jones movies than she did at the Oscars this year. >_<

Freedom of Speech.

Hiryuu: As I said, I was talking about the Hollywood concept of beauty and its impact on Starlet’s careers. And I DID say that staying average would be a better career choice for her, precisely because good actresses are needed to fill those roles that the Divas tend to discount.

The ironic thing about current standards of beauty is that the average American (male and female) has never been more overweight (not just ‘average’.) Must be all the fast food. Of course, the fact that companies selling beauty treatments and products have investments in Hollywood probably has a lot to do with this seeming contradiction.

And for the record, I’ve always considered Zellweger attractive, in all her weight classes. Yes, even now.

The Oscars.
I watched it this morning on tape – not as much fun as watching it live, but I skipped all the commercials. Chris Rock was Ok. The fake mix-up with “a little girl from Wales” was cute and the taped segment at the Magic Johnson Theatre “rocked”, mind you, if it were done by a white host (like Billy Crystal or Steve Martin), the NAACP would kick his ass.
Speaking of Billy Crystal, he was and would have been better. But common, Billy is God.
Mike Myers and long hair? Weird. A tribute to Johnny Carson was a nice touch. But what was the reason for more than a dozen close-ups of Martin Scorsese? Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz together on the stage at the same time – love the accents.
Renee Zellweger looked much better as Bridget Jones. By the way, it looks like she wasn’t fat playing Bridget, she was a normal (average) woman:

The average weight for women the same ages increased from about 140 pounds in 1960 to 164 pounds in 2002
FDA Consumer

Edit: Re:Mike Myers and his hair, never mind, i forgot about Wayne’s World :wink: