opinions on the final fantasy series

Yeah, the sound was “Vweehehe”

To me, FF’s 6-9 are the peak of the series. The newer games just don’t seem as good. But I still have those older games, and I can play them whenever I want. The great thing about this series is that each game (with a few exceptions) is independent of all the others, so each game has a chance to be good or bad on its own. You can love or hate any of them because the good ones aren’t ruined by association with the bad ones.

Who’s to say that the newer FF’s are even “bad”?

New does not always mean bad.

I’m pretty sure we can all agree that if at the very least some of us say BAD and some of us say GOOD, it can be sumed into an agreement of DIFFERENT from the old ones. To some that is possitive, to others… not so much…

I must be one of the few who thought that FF6 was very stale :\

I’d rank the Final Fantasy games as follows:

01.Final Fantasy 6
02.Final Fantasy 7
03.Final Fantasy 4
04.Final Fantasy 9
05.Final Fantasy 5
06.Final Fantasy 10
07.Final Fantasy 8
08.Final Fantasy 2
09.Final Fantasy 3
10.Final Fantasy 1
11.Final Fantasy 10-2

The first three final fantasy games were very 1-dimensional. Final Fantasy 2 was the best of these, being the only one with any sort of plot.

Final Fantasy 4 was a real turning point for Final Fantasy games. The plot depth was unparalelled at the time.

Final Fantasy 5 was a step back as far as story goes, but as far as gameplay goes, it stands as the most addictive final fantasy game. Final Fantasy started to usher in some of the more techno-elements that dominated the next two FF games.

Final Fantasy 6 is the masterpiece of the series. Arguably the greatest RPG of all time. A very meloncholy and beautiful game, broken up into two parts. The only Final Fantasy game that had original characters, as opposed to just following a template. In FF6, The hero was a girl, the romantic relationship was subtle, the music was fantastic, and the villian was unforgettable.

Final Fantasy 7 was a masterpiece as well. Though not as strong as FF6, it did have a lot of great elements to it. There’s something about this game, even today, that just seems cool as shit. Although I never felt particularly emotionally moved while playing this game (My friend spoiled Aeris’s death for me) I still thought it was a great game. The ending sucked though.

Final Fantasy 8: I just never got into this game. I found it extremely tedious, and was unable to get 10 hours into it. I’ve heard it gets better though.

Final Fantasy 9: A sentimental favorite of mine. Having been a Final Fantasy fan since the days of the SNES, this was definitely a treat. I also fell in love with the characters instantly. The Bumbling Vivi, The Edgar meets Locke Zidane, The sighing Dagger. I loved these characters. Kuja was also a kick ass villian, equal parts Sephiroth and Kefka. The plot twist was kind of predictable, since I saw it coming way before it happened, but nonetheless, a beautiful game. The ending to this game is my favorite Final Fantasy ending ever.

Final Fantasy 10: This game was very linear in it’s story, no huge plot twists. I some how expected Jecth to be sin. I don’t know why, I just figured it out. It was a very enjoyable game though.

Final Fantasy 10-2: Rikku is so adorable in this game… that’s really all I have to say about it…everything else about the game irritates me.

I didn’t think Kuja was very interesting till the end of the game. He just seemed like your generic bad guy.

I don’t really think Kuja measures up to Sephiroth, or Kefka’s, level of eviliness. Kuja, mostly manipulated things from the back, during the like the first half of the game.

Now that really does measures up to Kefka’s posiong of villages, killing of espers, and nearly destroying the world. Or sephiroth burning of villages, killing of characters, and nearly having a huge arse meteor destroy the world. Now does it?

Kuja had his own theatrics. He was responsible for Brahne blowing up Cleyra. I meant more so in his personality. Part of him is the cool debonaire of Sephiroth, and part is the maniacal flamboyance of Kefka.

No, instead of summoning a meteor, or using the Light of Judgement, he did something quite different… he manipulated nations into going to war… kinda like ya know, a world war. Kuja wasnt too bad of a bad guy. Kuja was more of a bad guy i can relate to… i mean, he had something Sephy and Keffy didnt… Attraction to the opposite sex !

I don’t see Kuja as a true bad guy (because obviously he wasn’t). I believe Kuja showed the most personality and manipulated things from behind the scenes and was content to watch, rather than participate. I like when they mix up the adversaries once in awhile like that. Still he wasn’t interesting to me, but I can see why he is to others.

I don’t think its fair to say that Final Fantasy 1 had no plot or depth at all. While the game was less than high quality by todays standards, consider what it DID have for its time.

Multiple job classes.
Attractive (at least more than Dragon Warriors…) battles
Good Music
Plot twists. (if you dont know about them by now I might as well not point them out)
Classic (dull by some people’s standards) Story of good vs evil to save the world.

Final Fantasy is a mediocre game now. Then, Final Fantasy was a heaven sent to those who saught out more depth than walk right and stab/shoot/jump.

I’m not defending it because I loved it, I’m defending it becaues the arguments against it dont seem valid.

Ahhh…Garland/ Chaos. Yeah.

Garland/ Chaos, 4000 year time-loop, Sarda the Sage(just where is that sneaky sage ?) using a vibrating rod to break a plate. beer that makes you breath under water… buying a fairy… It was a GREAT game. I was weaned on FF1.

Dont forget that king, who sends you to the cave to get that crown… and um, isnt really the king… Yeah, theres another plot twist, FF1 was riddled with them

Final Fantasy > Dragon Warrior

hi! i haven’t around for while, i just got back from vacation.
anyway.

i’m one of those people who liked Kuja because i think the plot of an rpg gets much more interesting when the bad guy is somehow related to the hero (like in FF7).
just my personal view.

Pretty clear you don’t like the game because of “stupid” players. Uh, that’s your fault for two reasons: not partying with good people, and not teaching the n00bs how to play the game. I don’t know how many times I forced my party to /sit while I helped them set up macros, a provoke order, skill chain, magic burst, etc. And if people didn’t want to listen, I kicked them, or asked the party leader to do so (him or me). It’s funny when they thank you later. Even funnier when they pass you in level. And when you need help (you will need a LOT later on), some of those “idiots” just might be the people who help you get an AF piece.

One more thing, a THF is ~always~ supposed to sneak attack first thing, don’t bust on someone for playing their job properly. Sounds to me like you are in the same class as the players you criticize. Find some good people to play with, and you’ll find the game to be quite enjoyable. You can’t progress alone in FFXI, and really, that’s kinda the point of MMORPGs. I didn’t always like it, in fact at times I hated it. But the game is so much more rewarding and fun when you’re playing with friends. If you want to solo, play a console rpg or some gimped mmo -,-

If Square announced they had a huge budget to remake FF4 and FF6 for the PS3, with the same story and characters, but in a gorgeous 3d world with tons of expanded story and character development, I don’t think I’d be able to sleep much the week before the release. And I think they’d do rather well.

I don’t think the new ones are the best. And SquallStrife, you say up to IX is good, and IX isn’t that old, so saying the new ones aren’t good isn’t a very solid thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for me, I rank like this: FFT, FFI, FFX, FFV, FFMQ, FFX-2, FFVI, FFVIII FFIV. Why? Sure, I’ll answer. :smiley:

FFT: Probably one of the best storylines I’ve ever seen, great characters, and I loved the Job system. The music was alright, and the bonus of killing Chocobos is always good. :slight_smile:

FFI: The original. It brought about the entire series and was the first one I beat. And beating it with 4 WM’s is fun. :slight_smile:

FFX: First game I played for the PS2. I absolutely fell in love with all aspects of the story, battles, music all of it. I personally think that the battle mode leant itself more to strategy.

FFV: Again Job system. And finding out about the pirate… Heh.

FFX-2: Wraps up FFX. While the graphics are a bit overdone and Yuna goes through some radical change, I love Paine. The music is just as good, and I naturally love the Dresspsheres. :smiley:

FFVI: I think the sheer number of characters was great, but I never used most of them. I think they were mostly novelties. I do like the Apocalypse idea and having to retrieve friends again. And of course the Opera scene. :slight_smile:

FFVIII: Dunno why everyone hates it, I think it was very well done. The CG movies were absolutely awesome (<3 ballroom), but I think the rest of the graphics could’ve been better. The battles were good though, and drawing/junctioning magic was a very good idea IMO and could be retooled and used again.

FFIV: I’ve only played the easy version, and it was, well… easy. I like the characters and I was saddened by some of the deaths, but I absolutely fell in love with Rydia and some of the things she had to do were would be absolutely hard if a real person had to go through it (learning Fire for instance).

So those’re nothing more than my opinions and people will naturally disagree, especially since I did such a horrible job of explaining myself. But hey, you go your way I go mine.