One step for Man, One leap for Mars, Hopefully...

Well, the first probe of many in the next like 2 months arrived…

Well really, it was two things, an orbiter and a lander.

but only the orbiter has done its thing and been sucessful sofar.

What, you have no clue of what im saying???

Its the Mars Express and Beagle 2 probe.
Care of ESA. I hope you know what that is.

Mars Express Site

But as of when I wrote this ( 10pm EST Dec. 25) Beagle had still not made radio contact with earth, through Mars Odyssey ( another orbiter there) or though a scan by a Uk radio telescope searching for it (see the web site)

Next up… Nasa’s first twins: Sprit and Oppertunity; two landers, due to arrive in January ( hopefully:)

Nasa’s Twins

PS: suppostily Japan has an off-course orbiter too, but its off course and who knows when it will arrive ( supposidly this year too!!)

The aliens have took it :open_mouth:

Originally posted by Urkani
The aliens have took it :open_mouth:

Damn those aliens… sitting up there…just plottin’!
Pickin’ their time…

Hadn’t an european probe got broken recently while flying towards Mars?

Feh. Aliens aren’t gonna destroy the world! We don’t need their help!

Originally posted by Yar Kramer
Feh. Aliens aren’t gonna destroy the world! We don’t need their help!

Quite True, with all the nukes and junk we have on the planet.

well, the aliens could make it more painful. A death by nukes would be relatively painless. Okay, maybe not for the mutants, but the aliens could make those too!

I’m more interested in the planned exploration of Europa, but I guess information on Mars will do for now.

Most likely the probe didn’t survive the landing, and is now going to spend its time as junk on Mars along with all the rest we have sent there and now deactivated. Sad really.

snort snort You guys said “probe”…snort

Well this is interesting…I guess. I was always more fascinated by Uranus though.

All joking aside, Mars is the only planet that can potentially support life, correct? Or something to that effect? (as in we’re looking into it). My science teacher once told me that one of Jupiter’s moons (can’t remember which) was found to support some bacteria-kinda life. Argg I can’t remember the whole story so I probably sound like an ijeet but I’m just tying that into the connection that Mars may be able to sustain life or something. Long story short, I guess, sounds interesting.

EDIT: Dammit all that had nothing to do with the thread but I had to justify my really bad jokes somehow.

Originally posted by Gizamaluke
Damn those aliens… sitting up there…just plottin’!
Pickin’ their time…

OGM PLANET CAMPERZ OGMWTF

Originally posted by Evangelion
[b]snort snort You guys said “probe”…snort

Well this is interesting…I guess. I was always more fascinated by Uranus though.

All joking aside, Mars is the only planet that can potentially support life, correct? Or something to that effect? (as in we’re looking into it). My science teacher once told me that one of Jupiter’s moons (can’t remember which) was found to support some bacteria-kinda life. Argg I can’t remember the whole story so I probably sound like an ijeet but I’m just tying that into the connection that Mars may be able to sustain life or something. Long story short, I guess, sounds interesting.

EDIT: Dammit all that had nothing to do with the thread but I had to justify my really bad jokes somehow. [/b]

Mars has very little potential of supporting life. If you’re interested in finding extra terrestial lifeforms you should direct your eyes at the Jupiter moon, Europa.

Yes, they think that mars at one time could have supported life.

Also, they think Europa can and may be does have life, but it hasnt ben proven.

I’m placing bets on Titan. There’s a lot of organical molecules there. No liquid water has been detected, but the ESA guys say thet’yre ready for surprises when Huygens lands there in 2005.

Originally posted by Nulani
Mars has very little potential of supporting life. If you’re interested in finding extra terrestial lifeforms you should direct your eyes at the Jupiter moon, Europa.

The only problem there is that if there is life there, it’s all underwater, and the water itself is under a very large sheet of rock-hard ice, so getting at it will be a good task. Then deploying aquatic probes with the ability to transmit through the ice to the orbiter which will then transmit back to Earth… no wonder they’re looking so hard at Mars right now- there’s virtually no chance of finding anything but it’s easier to look. :thud:

…And I’m immediately reminded of an old Monty Python lyric- “Let’s pray that there’s intelligent life somewhere out there in space, 'cause there’s bugger all down here on Earth!” :hahaha;

Thank you.

Originally posted by Nebagram
[b]The only problem there is that if there is life there, it’s all underwater, and the water itself is under a very large sheet of rock-hard ice, so getting at it will be a good task. Then deploying aquatic probes with the ability to transmit through the ice to the orbiter which will then transmit back to Earth… no wonder they’re looking so hard at Mars right now- there’s virtually no chance of finding anything but it’s easier to look. :thud:

…And I’m immediately reminded of an old Monty Python lyric- “Let’s pray that there’s intelligent life somewhere out there in space, 'cause there’s bugger all down here on Earth!” :hahaha;

Thank you. [/b]

First, nice quote…

ummm

and second, they have a plan for a Europa probe already. A lander base will land on the ice, drill though the ice to the water ( its only about 20 ft thick ( they think) and realease a probe connected to the lander by a teather.

Also Mars Express was confirmed to sucessfully arrived. Now they are tring to change its orbit to the correct one they wanted to scan the planet ( and help look fo beagle 2)

no news still on beagle 2