O Percy, Percy! Wherefore art thou, Percy?

I am sure that some have wondered what happened to me. I have had to reorganise my life and to devote my time and energy to some hard work on myself, first and foremost. I am faring better, but I do not expect be a regular at RPGC, at least for now. My lifestyle is becoming less oriented around the computer than it was.

I am currently getting professional help for my shyness and depression in a therapist who uses a treatment called E.M.D.R. (eye-movement desensitisation and reprocessing), which basically stimulates interaction between the two hemispheres of the brain, and thereby (in time) changes neurological pathways. The result is that one thinks and feels about the things which used to cause one anxiety very differently, and also positively. Actually, it can use other alternating signals to the brain instead of eye-movement, such as (in my case) tapping on the hands. I myself do not truly understand exactly how the treatment works (knowing very little about this area of science), but apparently it has a very high rate of success, and I think that it is beginning to work in me. It was developed in California in the 1970s to treat shell-shocked veterans and rape victims, but it was discovered that it might easily help others with less grievous psychological problems.

The patient just relaxes sitting down, closes his or her eyes, and focuses on unhappy memories or thoughts for a minute at a time or so, whilst the therapist taps lightly but rapidly on their hands. During intervals, the patient tells what they felt or saw in their mind, and focuses on what causes the emotional pain. The therapist helps guide the patient’s understanding of themselves, and helps them put new and positive thoughts on these memories into their minds.

We have begun by working on bad memories which involved social frustration, shame, anger, and sadness. Very little happened after the first few sessions, but I am slowly becoming aware that I am thinking about humiliating memories in very different (and less painful) ways. Following this, I think that we shall work on my lack of happiness and ‘teach’ me to how to feel happy again. After that, we shall work on things and events which have hitherto made me anxious.

I have had a few personal successes, as well. A month or two ago, I got help from a job-searching programme, and through it, I got some excellent information about searching for work, and later, I found good employment, and much faster than I had thought that it would take me. I now have a steady job teaching conversational English, which pays quite well, at an ESL school of mostly Japanese and Korean students. Of course, the work experience which I get is extremely beneficial to my curriculum vitae as well. The work is not an absolute cakewalk, but I enjoy it and I am happy that my days are far more productive than they were beforehand.

Things have been getting better, but I know that I still have a good step to go, and I am sure that there will be a great many unhappy times along the way. Through the treatment, I am realising that I have far less self-esteem that I thought that I did. I believe that I can conquer my troubles, but it will take time.

If anyone needs to reach me urgently, please use my email.

Funny that you should mention this, because there’s <a href = “http://agora.rpgclassics.com/showthread.php?t=18180”>a thread</a> on you. Pretty recently too! I hope that popularity on an online community can give you some confidence :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s cool that you’re getting help for being so shy. Being so shy just helps you miss out on a lot of the cool things in life.

Good luck man.

Don’t know who you are, but you seem to be a pretty good person. Maybe if I see you around we can talk a bit more; I’m shy at too so maybe you can help me if you think you could.

Glad to know you’re all right, esteemed sir.

Nice to see you back!

Next time you go away for a lot of time, at least say something about it in your signature (since bye-bye threads are no-no’s).

Well, while I was slowly typing, as usual, Sorc and SK said exactly what I wanted to say. :stuck_out_tongue: But yeah, people were wondering what was happening to you. It’s good to have news.

I was wondering where you went. Good luck percy, i hope everything works out ok. =) :cool:

I’m so glad to know that you’re concentrating your efforts to remedy what troubles you. I’ll be keeping you in my thoughts, and as always, I hope for the very best for you. Don’t be a stranger, but do what you need to do!

Good to see you’re getting help for overcoming shyness =) And good to hear from you in general… you’ll get through those rough times, patience is the key =)

Ah, Sir Percival, it’s good to see you post. To be honest, I had some people convinced you were getting married, which was why you weren’t posting much. Hope ya don’t mind. :thinking:

Anyway, I am glad to hear that you are getting help to overciming shyness. Maybe you can borrow that book from the tenda.

Well, good luck, and please respond soon. You always were the best of us RPGCers.

I hope this works out for ya, Percy. Be well.

glomps Sir Percy Glad to hear you’re doing good and even getting better. BTW me no speaky well english. >_> A intelligent guy such as you shouldn’t have to suffer depression. takes a bite outta depression RAR

YEEHA!! PERCY’S OK!! YEESS!! :biggrin:

I knew it wouldn’t be long before you would turn up and tell us what was going on, Perc. It is very good to hear that you’re getting help with your emotional problems, and that you have a good and enjoyable job. Looks like you are receiving all that we here have prayed for you to get.

Go ahead and take all the time you need to deal with your personal Life. Just make sure you give us a heads-up from time to time. Remember, there are a lot of people here that honestly care about you.

Best wishes to you. Knight Salute!

:enguard: :enguard: :enguard: :enguard: :enguard:

So you DIDN’T get your lance stuck in a windmill. That’s good to hear, especially since CH now owes me a beer.

But good luck with the real life and stuff.

It’s been awhile. Hope you get over your shyness.

It’s good to hear things are going much better for you, I hope the therapy continues to help you.

Glad to hear from you Perc :smiley: Hope the treatment goes well and Come back to talk to us every so often, we missed you. :victoly:

Great to see you again Percy- I’m glad things are starting to work out for you, and I hope things continue to get better.

Thank you for the support, everyone; I appreciate all of it earnestly.

Ren and Wilfredo: I shall try to keep you better informed in future, but I cannot always predict what will be happening to me.

Val: LOL. Just LOL.