O_o

I’m most impressed about the not sleeping bit. I’ve heard that you go into a coma if you do much more than 48 hours straight without rest. Of course, that’s for normal people, and not super-human monks.

Nah, you don’t go into a coma if you go 48h without rest. I’ve read about some interesting experiments about sleep deprivation that have had disturbing effects like hallucinations.

If peopel fell into comas whenever they spent mroe than 48 hours awake, then 75% of al the College Kids would never graduate. Simple fact.

48 hours? Pah, I can do that standing on my head.

That’s pretty sweet, and I don’t really doubt that he did it. I bet he could go on for 9 days without that stuff, but after that he’d be a different person… probably from meditating for 9 days straight, and I suppose he’s doing this to reach greater truths and what not, but I don’t really know too much about the religion anyways.

Yeah, he probably was seeking Enlightenment, I wonder whether he actually reached it?

Originally posted by demigod
I’m most impressed about the not sleeping bit. I’ve heard that you go into a coma if you do much more than 48 hours straight without rest. Of course, that’s for normal people, and not super-human monks.

Yeah see, I’m kinda living proof against that :P. I’ve went over 96 hours without sleep, but it REALLY fucked me up afterwards. I really won’t be doing that again.

Congrats to Fujinami.

I had insomnia for 4 days once, and it was pretty trippy. Started seeing shit on the 4th night, and finally fell asleep.

QFG4 Narrator: You are getting tired. You are exhausted from lack of sleep.

Man, I can’t even imagine going THAT far for a religion.

That’s fucking amazing. I mean…think about it, like fifty miles a day? That requires mental and physical discipline approaching like, PERFECTION, I don’t know if any of you have done long-distance hiking/running, but this summer I did for about a week, some friends and I walked about 15 miles a day, and we were beat afterwards - understandably we had huge-ass packs, but still. Fifty miles a day? It’s crazy.

And Heaven’s Soldier, if you asked him that question, I bet he’d just smile and shrug. But seriously, think about it. Just those actions require such devotion to…to yourself, to the world, to God, I would say that he became one with that devotion in the most intimate way possible, just through the sheer difficulty of the journey. He’s seen the deepest depths of himself and his relationship to God in the most intimate sense possible, and he’s come out far more content than you or I with what he found. I’d be willing to define “Enlightenment” as that.

-Mazrim Taim

50 miles a day, 5 miles an hour as a fast walking rate, 10 hours per day. Wow. It’s even more impressive when you really think about it. That’s gotta be marathon quality athletic ability. And day after day, I’d hate to race him.

…but how would a straw raincoat work?
The same way a straw roof works. Japanese used straw for quite a few things back in the day.

Damn, anyone who could survive that must have put in a LOT of ‘training’ before.
Well, monks undergo intense training way before they try something like that. I mean the guy was 37 when he started.

Nah, you don’t go into a coma if you go 48h without rest. I’ve read about some interesting experiments about sleep deprivation that have had disturbing effects like hallucinations.
Hallucinations, yes. I’ve had a chance to talk to Navy SEALs before and they’ve told me about a bit of their training which is called ‘Hell Week’. During this week they are up continuesly with maybe 30 mins of sleep each day, usually woken up to the sound of gun fire and the like. They said that by the fourth day, which they were in a raft at the time, one of them saw severed heads floating in the water. So it’s entirely possible to stay awake for long periods of time, with side affects of coarse.

QFG4 Narrator: You are getting tired. You are exhausted from lack of sleep.
Greatest PC RPG series ever.