Now that is cool science

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1149753,00.html

Expensive as fuck, but if it works, it definetly gives people something to learn, a reality to grasp when they want to discuss how things are. So little is known about the bottom of the ocean (for lotsa reasons). I’m curious to hear what they’ll find.

AHH! ROBOTS RESEARCH THE TERRIBLE SECRET OF <strike>SPACE</strike> THE DEEP!

Ahhaah… that’s so neat and I’ll be anticipating whatever the hell they find. Whatever is at the bottom of the ocean’s floor are one of the many things that intrigues me… and I’ve yet to read the actual article… the beggining of the article just caught my attention.

I think that this money should be spent on improving whats on land as opposed to finding out whats below water. Still its interesting.

Originally posted by Gilgamesh
I think that this money should be spent on improving whats on land as opposed to finding out whats below water. Still its interesting.

Finding out what’s below water might help us improve what’s on land, you know.

It could, but its not certain. The money could go to building schools, hospitals, etc in poorer countries.

With this research we’ll be able to build schools and hospitals underwater. And move the poorer countries there too.

Paving the way for plankton farming. Ohhhh yeahhh. :suckah:

Well it’s about time.

Hell, the space exploration gets more thumbs up than ocean exploration.

Yeah, we have a hell of a lot to find underwater, namely natural resources. We can’t continually sink money into poor countries just “because”. That’s life. Most of the ocean is unknown to us, and wouldn’t it be neat if we learned something?

And yeah I seriously hope the “we can build hospitals underwater” was a joke because it’s quite obvious ocean depth is a potentially hazardous and stressful enviroment.

It like that movie abyss.

Abyss rocked. Except the last few minutes. The nuke should’ve went off and he should’ve said ‘But they were the same colour!’ and there would have been kaboomies and it would have been cool. Yes.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the article. Ahem ^^;; It’s all good. The ocean is an amazing place. There’s probably something down there that’s be worth the cost of going down there, even if the project’s intristic coolness wasn’t enough in the first place.

That is very cool, although it reminded me of the book Sphere more than Abyss. :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Evangelion
And yeah I seriously hope the “we can build hospitals underwater” was a joke because it’s quite obvious ocean depth is a potentially hazardous and stressful enviroment.

Of course it was a joke. Otherwise I wouldn’t have mentiooned moving poor countries underwater too.

Originally posted by Gilgamesh

Imagine how silly it is for people to want into outer space when our own planet isn’t completely explored?

Originally posted by Mabatsekker
Imagine how silly it is for people to want into outer space when our own planet isn’t completely explored?

But space is a more obviously useful place than the deep sea. At least, so far.

You know, this is why the robots will revolt against us sometime in the future. We make them do all the dirty work.

Cool. It’ll be fun to learn more about the deeps and find if it has any secrets it hides.

Hopefully the robots will not realize that…

Well, if they don’t do the dirty work, are you going to dive to the bottom of the ocean? I’m not…it’s too dark down there.

We’ll just give the robots a “Bush” program. It will make them so dumb they won’t be able to do anything except destroy themselves unless they’re given step-by-step instructions on what they are to do. Then if they try to take over the world, they’ll just bomb the poor underwater countries instead.

See, the world makes sense.

Sweet, I wonder what cool creatures they’ll find under there. It should be interesting to see how the organisms live in that sort of environment too.

As a note, the bottom of the ocean can be useful. Particular compounds that are very useful in molecular biology, for example,come from archaebacteria much like those that live near hot fissures (if not directly from them).