Not more computer help for Vicki!

I really dislike having to ask for help like this - it makes me feel like such a helpless, ignorant moocher.

My USB root hub has an issue, and I’m not sure what it is exactly or what the cause is. I do know that my computer won’t recognize anything I plug into the USB outlets, and the USB root hub has the nastly little exclamation point in the circle on the device manager. I tried updating the driver, but it said that the best one was already being used.

If it’s anything, a friend of mine installed some sort of USB memory card thing on my computer without my consent (he did it before I realized what he was doing), and I’m concerned that did something to screw things up.

If someone could help me, I’d really appreciate it.

Ok, let the Techie basics questions begin!

Repeat after me kids!

1. Is the device plugged in/turned on?
  2. Does the device display lights?

Ok, thats enough patronization :stuck_out_tongue:

Firstly, The exclamation mark means that windows has the devices for that particular bit of hardware installed, but it is having diffuculty talking to that hardware. This can be due to many reasons, the most obvious of which being 1 above :stuck_out_tongue:
If the computer can not talk to the hib itself, then it will obviously not be able to communicate to devices that rely on the hub in order to function. Secondly, The USB memory drive is unlikely to have anything to do with this. USB does not have “ports” as such and is fairly relaibly hot-swapped, so the chance of the no longer plugged in memory drive conflicting with the hub is practically nil.

USB hubs are not my area of expertise, so I cant comment further without being able to look at it :slight_smile:

When I got my PC it came with a disc I needed to activate (God knows why) my USB and other stuff like that. Did you get one of those, and if so, try running it.

I’d suggest finding the original driver install CD and then completly removing said device from the device manager, rebooting with the cd in the drive, and if windows does it’s job correctly it should detect the device when windows boots back up and will install it for you. After that it should work, in theory.

I would love to live in theory, because everything works there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah, what Epic said should fix the problem if its only corrupted drivers.