Non-accessible commercial and non-commercial sites about to be sued...

Atleast according to The Guardian

Finally the web might start becoming a place for everyone… Might be time to start checking if your site is Bobby compliant, no? :slight_smile:

All I’m getting is an ad at the top of the screen?

[edit]Oooops. Posted wrong URL… Ah well, fixed now.[/edit]

That’s like having blind directions at a drive through ATM. Am I the only one that thinks its silly and just can’t see how the blind can use the internet in the first place?

Originally posted by Sinistral
That’s like having blind directions at a drive through ATM. Am I the only one that thinks its silly and just can’t see how the blind can use the internet in the first place?

I was thinking the same thing… how can the blind possibly use the internet… without seeing what there doing?

They’re probably talking about the lack of alt attributes on images.

considering the size of important websites, that would take so much freakin’ effort, its not funny. Can you imagine having an alt version of our walkthroughs? Or of government forms?

There is no way.

Disability laws are usually written to apply only to public places. I understand that every page on the internet could be considered a public place, but, the first time they tried to enforce any disability standards on the operators of hobby sites their reputation would go to hell in a handbasket - and they know it.

If you’re the RIAA or Microsoft, you can still fight on even though everyone hates you. For all other organizations there’s no way they would risk alienating everyone and their various pets.

Sin: Many blind people use the Internet. Usually with the combination IE and JAWS.

All it requires for Bobby lvl 1 compliance is that you include alt image attributes. And believe me, it doesn’t just apply to gov sites…

The Sydney Olympics, to name one, got sued and lost when they had forgotten to include the alt attribute in images. I can dig up the link if you want.

Trust me; Hobby sites? Ain’t never gonna happen, but as for the rest… They’ll crack down on those ones really hard. Discrimination laws anyone?