No crime in New York

smacks forehead

"Gee, we can’t report the mass-mass murder to the world because it would make the citizens of our country look like they were against their own country’s principles "… “Evern though the newspaper in the neighboring country is making an extra news edition on the subject, we blame them of false accusations… right?”

Originally posted by Hiryuu
I remember a few years back when my home town lost all its power for almost a week <i>in the dead of winter</i>. You should all consider yourselves lucky.

That happened in Lima (just 20 miles north of here) in 1976 (I think) and they went without power for a few more weeks than you, so my mom knows what it’s like.
Edit: Ah, it was 78. Blizzard

Last year (or early this one, i can’t remember) a blackout happened in Rio and spread to a lot of nearby states. It lasted four hours, with lots of people stuck in elevators and in the metro and stuff. After the problem was solved, the guys at the electricity company discovered the whole thing was caused because a bolt in a pole was loose, and that pole created a snowball effect on the whole system.

I actually liked the blackout! Seeing the stars in the sky… now that doesn’t happen very often!

We’ve never had a blackout here luckily, just blown fuses. I think I’d probably find it really weird if power went out over here. Are blackouts a regular occurance in the US?

A couple years back, in California, we had a power shortage and so the valley ran out of power most of the summer, then they blamed Gray Davis on the whole thing.

Blackouts in the US aren’t exactly common. Total blackout time I have experenced here probably adds up to less than 3 hours.

I think however the Calfornian power crisis and this one, come from very different circumstances though.

I was affected by that for about 6-8 hours or so… ish. Anyway, my dad got a generator running for a while so we could get some lights and the refrigerator running. We didn’t have the right plug to get the water pump started so we just played Monopoly for a while and then the power came on at about 9-10 or so. Not any real damage.

No one from around Memphis has any sympathy whatsoever for those people in the northeast with that blackout. We had most of the city without power for several days, some for a few weeks.