No Child Left Behind

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2003/back.to.school/

I think this is possibly one of the funniest things America has done for us children, No Child Left Behind signed a program for the American Educational system, Bush signed for it back in Jan. 2002. I know it’s a good thing, but isn’t it basically saying, “Even though your poor and not as good as the average family, you are still welcome into the school system”

What do you think?

The easiest way to get children to succeed is to allow them to fail. Education doesn’t have to be compulsory. Hell, it might even save the government some money, which is to say save the citizernry money, as the revenues will either not be taken from them, or will be spent on other things. So why should we waste our time on children who don’t want to learn?

What nonsense. Practically all school children “don’t want to learn.” I’ve got some hot news for you: practically no child of elementary-school age <i>wants</i> to spend a nice day sitting inside, at a desk, and learning arithmetic, American history, and reading, when he could be running around outside and playing in the mud. That’s a pitiful excuse to just “let them fail,” not think about them any more, and pretend like you did a good thing, as opposed to working with them until they apply themselves and meet the standards.

Originally posted by Sephiroth Katana
What nonsense. Practically all school children “don’t want to learn.” I’ve got some hot news for you: practically no child of elementary-school age <i>wants</i> to spend a nice day sitting inside, at a desk, and learning arithmetic, American history, and reading, when he could be running around outside and playing in the mud. That’s a pitiful excuse to just “let them fail,” not think about them any more, and pretend like you did a good thing, as opposed to working with them until they apply themselves and meet the standards.

Not to mention that the kids we let fail now will cost us a lot more money in the future when they grow up to be criminals (because they have no skills or training to become anything else).

What they don’t mentoin is that Bush gave the program no money whatsoever. It is completely unfunded, and unable to do anything. Tragic, because it wasn’t a bad program.

Originally posted by Sephiroth Katana

I resent this, sure I’ve always hated math, but I’ve always loved history of any kind and reading. Once my parents took the book I was reading away and told me to go to a friend’s house, or go outside and play. What they hadn’t anticipated was that the friend whose house I went to (I was in third grade and he lived a couple of houses down the street) was a bookworm too so we sat in his room and read.

SK doesn’t mean everyone doesn’t “want to learn”, but I think it’s abundantly clear that alot of people really don’t like school…

School sucks, but being an ignorant bum sucks even more…

Originally posted by KaiserVonAlmasy
Not to mention that the kids we let fail now will cost us a lot more money in the future when they grow up to be criminals (because they have no skills or training to become anything else).

Not all undeducated people turn to a life of crime…They just fill those bum jobs that somebody has to do.

Originally posted by Silhouette
SK doesn’t mean everyone doesn’t “want to learn”, but I think it’s abundantly clear that alot of people really don’t like school…

Very true. I think it was Mark Twain that said, “I never let school interfere with my education”.

Originally posted by Kero Hazel
Very true. I think it was Mark Twain that said, “I never let school interfere with my education”.

Mark Twain was a genious, or close to one.

Living in Norway I don’t know a lot about the ‘No Child Left Behind’ programme, in Norway it has always been like that. To the extent that the good students are kept down. They’re working on changing all that though, and allow students to remain at their own level and not forced onto an average.

Every child should learn, but they shouldn’t have to learn everything. And most of all, they should have to learn what they don’t have to learn. From my experience that is what frustrates students most: All the things that seems useless, and that no one has any explanation for having to be taught.

I’m way off the actual subject of this thread, aren’t I?

I think it’s important that kids go to school, because not only does it help them get a job in the future, but learning in general is a good thing, and the more you know, the more you can do.

If you don’t shove the kids into school, strap them to the seats, and force them to read and take notes for hours on end, they wouldn’t learn anything. We’d soon become a country of maids and janitors.

On the plus side, think how clean that would be…

Ah, but would anyone be rich enough to hire the maids and janitors, Gallo? I think not. We’d all be bums then.