Nintendo sued over seizures.

I think that there is a law somewhere that says if a company sells you a product and you get harmed someway due to improper use, it is all YOUR fault, not the company’s. And not reading the manual before use surely qualifies as improper use.

How is it Nintendo’s fault? Wouldn’t it be the fault of the game maker? There’s not even a case unless the game was made by Nintnedo. In that case, I’m going to sue RPGC (not really, clearly) for TD posting that image.

Some people are jsut dumb.

Originally posted by Bing
[b]How is it Nintendo’s fault? Wouldn’t it be the fault of the game maker? There’s not even a case unless the game was made by Nintnedo. In that case, I’m going to sue RPGC (not really, clearly) for TD posting that image.

Some people are jsut dumb. [/b]

Nintendo could be sued since they licensed the game and allowed it to be released on their system. Good old QC, or lack thereof for some games. Unlike a PC gaem where the developer does it all himself for the most part and releases it, console cgames have to approved by the owning company.

I don’t think there’s anything they can do to stop you from selling your own homemade games, or unlicensed games. The original NES had some unlicensed games, and Nintendo never approved of the game genie. Nintendo likes to control their content, so their licensing is pretty strict, and they do whatever they can to stop unlicensed stuff on their system. Other platforms are more open, like the playstation where sony tries to attract all the developers it can (resulting in tons of games), and the PC where there is no company to control development (although microsoft wants to fill that gap and become king of the personal computer, with the X-Box console as a technology testbed).

http://www.seizurerobots.com/

There’s no way that this’ll pass. He’s got almost no case whatsoever.

Originally posted by Ren
I think that there is a law somewhere that says if a company sells you a product and you get harmed someway due to improper use, it is all YOUR fault, not the company’s. And not reading the manual before use surely qualifies as improper use.

Caveat emptor?

Also, the big N should countersue these people for being dumbasses.

Studies have shown that other things that can trigger seizures in these people include venetian blinds, striped walls, stairs, striped clothing, reflected light, helicopter blades, malfunctioning fluorescent lights, strobe lights and the light from a welder’s torch, he testified.

They touch on it in the article, not just just Nintendo games cause seizures. TV, Computers, Movies, hell, pretty much all visual media can induce seizures. If anything, Nintendo should be lauded for the large amount of warnings they provide about the ability of their games to cause seizures. When was the last time you went to a movie and saw the seizure clause on your movie stub?

Let me put it this way:

If it weren’t for Nintendo putting “People with epilepsy be cautious” warning in EVERY MANUAL for EVERY GAME for EVERY SYSTEM…

…I wouldn’t even know you could HAVE an epileptic seizure brought on by rapid screen/other visual flashing.

Amen to that Kaiser.

Here’s a relevant story from 2 years back.

Situation: Holdiday in Portugal, my Parents and their friends who had a kid where in a hotel near us. They went bowling, my parents including myself went to a bar next to the bowling alley. When they’d done bowling they came out and went to this bar with us. Their kid, after some time in the bar, turned on a gameboy and was playing pokemon, he wasn’t on long and he was showing me his pokemon before he suddenly collapsed and was rushed to hospital. He was alright, he had a bit of amnesia and had his gameboy confiscated (the gameboy, was naturally blamed by everyone). I don’t know what happened but he’d only been on his gameboy for 15 minutes.

Do GC games have the warning on the screen before the title comes on too? I know the Dreamcast used to do that…have a warning on the screen before the game title comes on.

Originally posted by Neiru_3
Do GC games have the warning on the screen before the title comes on too? I know the Dreamcast used to do that…have a warning on the screen before the game title comes on.

Certain DC games had a warning, like Skies of Arcadia, but GC games don’t However, they do have a warning on the back of the box unlike DC games.

these sorts of lawsuits probably happen quite frequently. In all likelihood the parties will settle out of court.

I notice, it’s usually Nintendo blamed for games causing seizures.

For some reason this reminds me of that time this parent tried to sue Nintendo for giving her son rist pains by playing games to much, yet on the pic of her son playing the games, it’s clearly a PlayStation (1) he’s playing on.

This reminds me when the guy tried to sue McDonalds because it made him fat. This will not hold up in court especially when someone has the instruction manual for any Nintendo game and reads on page 3 about the warning. The big N has nothing to worry about in this case.