Nintendo eyes revolution in game sector

And as for the bit about computers being more powerful than GameCube, I ask you this: WHICH computers? Sure as hell ain’t less powerful than my computer. It lags running an emulation of FF7.

No, I meant PS2. I was trying to show contrast between dead and current systems, and how one can still play both, but I can see how it would be constrewn that way. As I said, PSOne and PS2 are both still alive and well.

And, for the record, Xbox is doing just fine sales wise. It’s certainly beating GCN on a worldwide level now. It’s also the only one in America to compete with PlayStation’s name recognition. If you want to say that PS2 is doing the “strongest,” you should refer to library, because saleswise, Xbox is kicking the crap out of PS2 in console sales YTD. PS2 still has a larger installed base, but that could be just as much because people have to replace their PS2’s all the time (I’ve had customers come back with broken PS2s as much as four times, and never from neglect or misuse; the system is shoddy, and it breaks easily). We get four times as many PS2s defective as GCNs or Xboxes. Most of those broken PS2s come in as a trade towards a new working PS2, so I can’t say I’m surprised by Sony’s high sales figures, and based on stories from people who worked video game retail before me, the same happened with PSOne.

Also notice that I said PSOne and not PSX. While PlayStation eXperimental was the code name for the original Playstation, and PS-X was its original abbreviation, most people in the industry have come lately to refer to it as PSOne, PS1, or simply PS, as Sony has released a new “console” dubbed the PSX, that is like a PS2 with Tivo capabilities.

I’m still not convinced that the X-Box is doing well. I’ve read many articles that completely contradict what you just said about it.

And the PS2 is hardly shoddy. Mine’s been through more punishment than my snes, before I sold it anyway. The rubber grips at the bottom had come off, I bashed it and threw it a few times when I got pissed off at games, and it still worked fine. And I got it second hand, too. I once hit it and wrecked the DVD inside, and the PS2 came out of it working like a dream.

I don’t know what your customers do to their’s, but regardless of what they tell you, a PS2 won’t simply break from using it. That’s NES’ department.

Besides, just because PS2 isn’t bulletproof like the X-Box doesn’t make it a bad console. All 3 next-gens are built to last. I’d say the GC is the most vulnerable though. Just handling it, it feels like it’s made of glass.

The X-Box may be selling well but it’s still a failure. If a console loses money from the moment sales start then it’s a failure. Now that the price has been dropped it’s losing even more money. And if E3 is any example the PS2 and the X-Box are fodder for Nintendo’s insanely stacked line up for the next year or so.

In my opinion, Nintendo’s got enough fricking systems already.

I don’t know if you guys actually understand sales or not, but I’ll try to explain.

Nintendo always looks good at E3, but they’ve been #3 out of 3 for at least 3 years running. They’re not hurting, but they’re not on top anymore, and as much of a Nintendo fanboy as I am, I have to admit it. As far as Xbox not making money, you can’t call a system a failure because it doesn’t make money. If you can, let’s add a few more failures to the list: NES, Playstation, PSOne, N64, and Genesis. There are probably others, but those are ones that I know off the top of my head never made a dime on console sales.

Show me one. NPD, TRSTS, and every retailer can show you solid numbers that say that the Xbox is a solid #2 in installed units (meaning total number of systems sold), and #1 in units sold YTD (year-to-date, through May 31, 2004). And it’s “Xbox,” not “X-Box,” “X Box,” or “X-box.”

And other people have had luck with PS2s as well, including several of my friends, but, again, it’s <I><B>LUCK</B></I>. Check some stats, the PS2 breaks easier than any of the next gen consoles. Based on defective returns to manufacturers, Gamecube is the most stable of all current generation hardware. Playstation 2 is by far the worst. EB actually ran a campaign for a while where they put posters in all of their stores that said “BROKEN PS2? TRADE IT IN TO GET A NEW PS2 FOR $119.99!” (this was back when the PS2 was still $179.99). Sony complained about this campaign, and so EB changed it to “BROKEN SYSTEM? TRADE IT IN AND SAVE ON A NEW ONE!” but customers still read it the same; they had broken PS2s. Since EB started doing that campaign, I’ve seen on average 5-6 PS2s come in PER WEEK defective. And you don’t have to do anything to them; about 75% of PS2s on the market today have defective lasers, motors, and disk drives. Sony just never cared to put the effort into them.

Just read some periodicals. Play Magazine, Gamenow, even EGM have all commented about how, while Sony shows amazing attention to quality in their TVs, computers, and cell phones, they can’t seem to make a game system than doesn’t fall apart.

Want proof? Go into any local gamestore, and mention something about how your PS2 isn’t playing blue-backed discs anymore. They’ll know exactly what you’re talking about, and suggest a way to fix it.

MS was planning on losing money.
The whole point of the Xbox was to gain a fanbase, which it certainly suceeded at.

And if E3 is any example the PS2 and the X-Box are fodder for Nintendo’s insanely stacked line up for the next year or so.

That’s all on basis of opinon.
I find the Xbox’s line-up way more impressive.

I wouldn’t go that far… :smiley:

Honestly, aside from Sudeki and Fable, I’m not really interested in anything upcoming on the Xbox. But I’m not their primary market. Their primary market are the people excited about Halo 2 and EA Sports both being released for Xbox Live this year.

Well I’m a big FPS and Online gaming fan, so you can understand why my feelings are that way.
Paper Mario 2 looks awesome though. :cool:

And it’s “Xbox,” not “X-Box,” “X Box,” or “X-box.”
X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box X-Box

Actually, if you went by what’s written on the console’s package, it’d be XBOX. XBOX. Not Xbox or XBox or XBoX or xBOX. I just spell it the way most others do. I just did an image search on google and every single filename was X-Box. Not Xbox.

I chose this point to refute because it was the one you emphasized most. Trying to compensate for your poor argument in the rest of your post? In the end it really comes down to what I’ve heard vs what you’ve heard, and I’ve heard next to nothing about the PS2 malfunctioning. Of course you’re gonna use your status as an ex-eb-manager to put your knowledge on a pedestal above mine, but I think I’ll choose not to care because I’ve never seen anyone in EB who knows what he’s talking about. Except that one guy who said Xenosaga was cool. He was a cool guy.

$10 says the new console bombs out.

“He said the gaming industry is reaching a dead end as its past formula for success – dazzling consumers with more sophisticated imagery – no longer works.”

I think Sony would argue the coined “standard console formula” is working like a charm, it just needs to evolve. Iwata is speaking for Nintendo, and the failures known as N64 and Gamecube. Failures brought about almost completely by their arrogant and stupid business practices (shutting out Sony and Square, cart loyalty, etc.). (Failure = lost market share)

What is a console? It’s a medium to play games on. As PC’s become lower in price and more widespread, the reasons for a console become negated. Consoles continue to go up in price with each new release, and have almost completely evolved into a stand alone PC. Any processing power that can be mass produced for a console can just as easily be put in a PC. When you buy the next gen console, if things continue as they are, you will essentially be buying a second PC. More and more consumers will be playing games online, so they’ll be forced to buy additional hardware to connect the device to the Internet, alongside their PC. It just doesn’t make sense.

As we know, game companies make their money off software and licensing, not hardware sales…which it seems they take losses on. No profits are made when a console is sold.

The final “standalone” console showdown is already over. The only way consoles will survive is if they evolve to do things PC’s aren’t doing. And they’re already heading down that path. PS3 is going to be some kind of appliance with access hubs for other things. Nintendo is talking about changing the face of entertainment.

So what is Nintendo up to? It’s hard to even guess with such a bold statement. What fundamental aspect of gaming can they change with this next release? They’ve already ruled out graphics and processing power. That only leaves what type of games you play, how you play them, and who you play with. Maybe the games will be geared towards Internet play using some new type of “controller”? Nothing revolutionary about that, unless it’s mind control. For shits and giggles, I just did a search on “mind control” on google news, and someone has already suggested the idea:

jttp://www.totalvideogames.com/pages/articles/index.php?article_id=5863

Anyhow, the truth is Nintendo is grasping for straws in the console business, and will do just about anything to generate interest in their next product. I’m prepared to be disappointed. Remember, Virtual Boy was going to change everything. Regardless, E3 2005 is going to be one hell of a show!

And I still want a gamecube! ;_;

Well, I don’t think I will be. I’ll be satisfied as long as there’s good games to play, which I’m certain there will be.

Then again, I’ve been a Nintendo-fan ever since my parents got us the SNES. So, maybe I’m biased. But still, I’m looking forward to Nintendo’s next console.

I was a Nintendo fan until I bought the N64, played OOT, and then waited for another RPG / Action-RPG to come out that I would enjoy. That never happened, and I was very disappointed with the system. Never bought a Gamecube, because all the RPG franchises I enjoyed were with Sony. Zelda and Mario games don’t interest me any more.

I got my money’s worth out of the N64 from the THQ/AKI wrestling games. Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 is still my favorite wrestling game (partly because I was an AJPW mark before the exodus). The gameplay hasn’t been matched, IMO. Apologies to any Fire Pro fans.

And if you went by the instruction manual, or xbox.com, it’s Xbox. Also, all Microsoft or Microsoft Xbox press releases refer to the system as Xbox. You’re not spelling it the way “most others do,” you’re spelling it the way you want to see others spelling it, because that’d prove you right. However, it’s hardly worth arguing. Constant intentional misspellings are simply a pet peeve of mine, such as when people write “alot” instead of “a lot.” It’s hardly worth arguing over, though, so let’s move on:

I didn’t emphasize it at all. I said it as a foot note. Not only that, but I quoted sources. Sources that collect data. And actually working in the industry does give one more know how. I saw it happen. Before I worked in a game store, I didn’t know that 40% of all Dreamcasts released on the market were defective, and an additional 20% of the remainder became defective within 2 years of purchase. I didn’t know that the problems I had with my Playstation (the spindle that holds the disk breaking out, the system occasionally not reading games, and the AV port slowly giving out) were not isolated incidents, but rather common on the long run. And I certainly didn’t know that a new system which I had just bought, which, at the time, was my favorite amongst the three consoles (the PS2, for those keeping track), was most prone to breaking.

Most importantly, though, is the part that you’re missing. I LIKE PS2. I’m not bashing your favorite system, and I’m not trying to wound your pride. I’m stating facts. Based on arguments that you and I have had in the past, I should be aware that you’re far more interested in your own opinion rather than facts, but I continue to state them. Just because you don’t like Xbox or Gamecube doesn’t mean that they aren’t technologically superior, both in stats and in quality.

Ditto!

Final Fantasy (CC) is a multilplayer RPG,
It’s the only one for me.

Big Nutter
Somebody stop me!

Yes! Somebody stop him from ever posting again! :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s also Four Swords Adventures, which rocks.

I’m still pissed at Microsoft and the other responsible parties for canceling True Fantasy Live Online.