Nightwish-Once. Appreciate it

There’s a difference between mentioning rock and mentioning “operatic metal” which god knows the only difference between it and standard metal is the addition of a kazoo or some subtle shit no one cares about. There’s probably a genre for every single combination of instruments out there. It’s like having an entire forum just to hold one thread.

I attack you because I’m tired of hearing about genres (mainly you basing a band’s merits on them) and because you think you’re some highly educated musicamagician when really you’re just, well, stupid. >>;

They’re OK.

They’re the band Wertigon was always quoting. Of course you hate them.

Yeah!

I love Nightwish. Although Wishmaster remains my favourite album; Nemo didn’t quite catch me as much…

Well I’ve been looking for more music, I’ll check them out.

Hades, if you’ve actually listened to Nightwish, you’d realize that “operatic metal” sounds about right. Because that’s what it sounds like, a metal opera, with the singers excellent vocals and the addition of many symphonic instruments in the music, it sounds like something out of an opera sometimes. Hades, you’re knowledge of music is limited by what you like and don’t like, what you don’t like you have no appreciation for regardless of how good it may actually be, and what you do like you praise as if the greatest thing to ever exist. Furthermore, I don’t even think CC called operatic metal a genre in the first place, I think he just used the term to describe the sound of Nightwish. Get off your fucking psuedo superior intelligence high horse, because you are seriously one dumb mother fucker.

And Nightwish is great.

The over-categorization of the different <i>styles</i> (not “genres”) of metal and rock really does look kind of silly, though. The “operatic” label is doubly so, to me, after I listened to some real opera. Opera takes a special sort of vocal talent; so-called “progressive metal” bands fall short in that area, though they generally try to emulate the dramatic style of opera.

Have you heard Nightwish? She’s a pretty talented singer. Certainly not the special kind of soprano that opera requires, but I think it’s an acurate description.

It does look silly, but so what? That’s the way it is.

Yeah, I think she even has some classical training. You can be talented and have training and still not be suited to opera, though. Opera singers are able to sing (in large, crowded concert halls) without microphones or amplifiers, for instance. That’s what distinguishes them from singers who might have very melodious or pleasant sounding voices, but lack that kind of vocal power. That doesn’t mean that those other singers aren’t good, it just means that they aren’t “operatic.”

I don’t think that the point was the compare the music to opera specifically, but rather just convey thats what the music sounds like - it sounds “operatic”. Not really opera, just “operatic”.

To completely derail the thread, SK, do you have the new Cure cd? If so, is it any good?

I know you weren’t addressing me, Sorc, but I’ve heard excessively bad and ecstatically good things about that CD. It’s interesting that they have a self titled after so many albums.

And Hades, whether you think it’s dumb or not, you fucking attacked me. All I did was say the words “operatic metal” and you jumped at your throat. The least you can do is sound intelligent like SK is doing.

Well, most of the reviews have actually been pretty positive, for what that’s worth. I don’t have it yet, but I’ve listened to most of it once. What I heard was all right, with some pretty good parts, but nothing that was immediately gripping. In contrast with their last album, the songs are a lot shorter (with one exception) and faster. But the album’s not really in the style of their previous upbeat albums, either, because it has a much more muddy, prominent and aggressive guitar sound. There’s a raw, ramshackle, energetic feel to it, even on the slower numbers, and there aren’t any stately, quiet, subdued songs. I guess you could compare it to their 1992 album Wish, except this new album, though it’s more aggressive, doesn’t really have any striking guitar solos, and the lyrics seem to be a lot less inspired. It might grow on one after multiple listens, though. If you want to buy a Cure album, I’d strongly recommend Disintegration.

CC, the difference between me and SK is that I consider it too much effort to sift through all the bullshit I write simply to cater to your sensitive emotional state.

I wasn’t attacking Nightwish. I was attacking the habit of overcategorizing music that CC just can’t seem to (or want to) break, even though it’s ridiculously silly. You sure have a hard time properly interpreting the posts of “one dumb motherfucker” who baited you like he was teasing a crack addict with his cocaine.

You wanna know who really dumb motherfuckers are? People who concern themselves with the proper technical categorization of musical genres, and then say stupid shit like “There is no technical side to music! It’s just something you FEEL with your SOULLL, man.” I’m not mentioning any names, but it’s certainly not someone who’s ever played an instrument with tone or knows any theory whatsoever.

You baited me? Don’t make me laugh. Furthermore, since Crack and Cocaine are different (while both are from the coca plant, Crack has a different chemical make up, which effectivly gives it the rock form it takes), I don’t quite see how you could have baited me like a “crack addict with his cocaine”. Nice try, but use terminolgy you understand - like “dog” and “bone”.

And I interpreted your post just fine, perhaps it is you who can’t read. I never said you “attacked” nightwish, merely that you misinterpreted what CC said as a categorization, when it was really just an attempt to describe the sound of the music, rather than label it.

Love Nightwish, love Once, best album imho is and stays Century child. Although my favorite song has recently changed to Nemo. <_< Creek Mary’s blood is cool also, but the ending is a little annoying; nice turn though.

Oh, and my two cents about comparing Nightwish to Evanescence here:

They’re not impossible to compare, but it wouldn’t be easy. Actually, comparing gothic bands in general would be kind of hard, simply because they rely on… yeah, different styles.
Evanescence is rather based on the whole electrical stuff and thusly reminds of pop, as Loki said; Nightwish sounds a lot like opera because of Tara’s stunning voice and the rather exuberant use of orchestras and keys and whatnot.
Then we have bands like Within Temptation who sound rather celtic (pipes, harp, extremely high pitched voice which takes a while to get used to and lyrics which evolve around mother nature most of the time), Lacrimosa (the stereotypical goth band. classical music most of the time. violin, clarinet, all that kinda stuff), Umbra et Imago (switch it on and you think your house is a church where the priest is rocking the night away), Muse (I have no idea how the hell I should describe them. thrash meets gothic?), theatre of tragedy (was rather metal-ish a long time ago, now they go more into pop direction. Their singer has the voice of an angel, but not in a Tarja Turunen way, rather soothing, quiet and lullaby-like), BlutEngel (toly gothic, but techno/trance) or HIM (well, you all know these guys :P).
Now, have fun comparing classical music to techno here. :stuck_out_tongue: The only things these bands have in common are their sad tunes, their angsty lyrics and their image. And probably their attitude. Keep on gothin’.

EDIT: You know what, I’m not even going to begin to correct because Hades will whine his ass off. Fuckit.

Oh, they certainly fall into the gothic directory alright :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, I can almost see it and definately see it for most of them, but Muse is pop all the way- REALLY GOOD pop, but pop.

Pop? You call Hysteria pop? o_o

Yes. Muse sounds a lot like Radiohead for fuck’s sake… Radiohead. =p