NFL playoffs

I’m glad Seattle was able to win without Sean Alexander, but I’m worried for them when they play Carolina. The Panthers, offensively and defensively, have been beasts, the way they shut out the Giants, then carved up the Bears’ defense.

I’m also glad that I’ll never have to hear “undefeated”, “Tom Brady” and “playoffs” in the same sentence ever again.

Whoo Carolina! (probably the only contribution I’ll make here, haha)

The weekend of upsets? More or less I guess. But Steelers vs. Colts, what a wild game thanks to the ref. Bill Cowher had a nice game plan though - the passing really surprised the Colts.

As for Chicago’s loss, very disappointing – I saw them going all the way. They need to clone “The Refrigerator” Perry to get back to their glory days. Or rehire Ditka…

Well, since the Colts lost, I’m going with the Broncos to face the Panthers in the Superbowl.

That’s seriously a hard choice for me to make, since I love both teams, but since I picked the Panthers at the beginning of the year, I’m sticking with them.

Well, the Steelers become the first #6 seed to make it to the Super Bowl. Here’s hoping they win it all. Hell, if Seattle wins and the Steelers beat them, that’s probably the most impressive stretch ever in the post season.

Seattle vs Pittsburgh, Super Bowl 40.

Even numbered super bowl means the AFC team wears the “home” team colors, which is good, as it means Seattle won’t be allowed to wear their craptastic bush league looking all darkgreen atrocity showcased today.

(The Reebok control of NFL clothing/uniform and merchandise design has made most teams in the league look retarded and only the old fogey tradition teams who never change uniforms still look like NFL teams.)

Anyway, this could be a really fun game.

I’m thinking Seattle will win their first ever championship. They’re my pick to win, though I certainly will not be surprised if Pittsburgh wins. I’ll be really safe, conservative, and unimaginative and say the final score will be relatively close, Seattle 23-17 over Pittsburgh [40 pts. in superbowl 40, har har har… :D]

lamest super bowl ever.

That’s what they said about Super Bowl 38, and that one turned out all right. :smiley:

only because the first half was so crappy. But the pregame hype wasn’t to that effect. This bowl features the two biggest pretenders in the playoffs (except, apparently, for Denver after their 2 crapfests). It’s basically Shaun Alexander v. the chasm of player mortality.

The Steelers can hardly be considered pretenders. Pretenders don’t go through 3, 1, 2 seeds. Pretenders don’t win three games on the road to get to the Super Bowl. Pitt would hardly be considered a “pretender” had Big Ben not gotten hurt earlier in the season.

Merlin, you’re just saying that because your enormously over-rated Patriots got beat by a much better Denver team. And Denver got beat by a much better Pittsburgh team. And honestly, what team in the NFC has been better than Seattle?

Speaking of Seattle, now they’re the team that’s getting no respect, despite being a #1 seed, despite going undefeated at home (10-0), despite having the best quarterback in the NFC (admittedly, there are a handful of better QBs in the AFC, but still), despite having the best running back in the NFL (who also happened to be the NFL MVP this year), despite having the most sacks in the league, and despite being a legitmate threat on defense, as well as passing and running the football. Now the Steelers, who nobody thought would do ANYTHING at the beginning of the playoffs (many people didn’t even think they’d make the playoffs) are 4 point favorites to win in Vegas (which is understandable considering the way they’ve trounced past everybody they’ve played).

Now, the Steelers have been an absolute juggernaut since they’ve been healthy, and Roethlisberger has proven to be an elite quarterback (their 6th seed is largely because of Big Ben being injured earlier in the season). And Seattle is an extremely under-rated 1 seed (I blame the east-coast bias in the national media).

But this is what’s going to be interesting. The Seahawks have THRIVED on being at home, and Pittsburgh has relished playing on the road. Now the Super Bowl is going to be in Detroit, which isn’t that far from Pittsburgh, in Jerome Bettis’ hometown. The Steeler fans are famous for traveling all over America to go to Steeler road games. Make no mistake about it, the crowd is going to be rooting for Pittsburgh, making this a Steeler home game for all intents and purposes. It’ll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Also, call me crazy, but Kaiser, I absolutely love the Seahawks colors. Much better than their hideous uniforms when they had their ugly-ass old logo.

The Seahawks’ main uniform faux pas is the same color jersey/pants combo. That’s just too much… whatever the hell their green is called.

Well, whatever, I love that shade of green. =D

Steelers went as favorites vs. Bengals (by 2), then as underdogs against Colts (9) and Broncos (3).
I was surprised at first seeing the current odds, but they’ll be playing allmost at home. And it seems like the odds makers think that NFC teams are inferior to AFC. Does it make any sense to you?

My wild guess: Seahawks win by a touchdown.

wah wah wahhhhhh

Gotta love the coverage of this year’s Super Bowl. >.> <.<

And, I’m sure to the delight of Patriots fans (and disdain to everyone else), Bill Belichick gets to do pre-game coverage and the Golden Boy Tom Brady gets to do the ceremonial coin toss. Unless of course he has to pull out due to a sports hernia. It’s not like they couldn’t get a famous Detroit sports personality like Barry Sanders. Or Kevin Nash (who would then tear his quad on the pending coin toss). No, we get Tom Brady and Bill Belichick; nope, no secret NFL desire to keep the Pats in the Super Bowl. None at all.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I was planning to contribute a part of my winnings to this
charitable organization. :wink:

Well, maybe next year.

A couple days after the Super Bowl, on ESPN, they’re still babbling about the referees. Guh, this is the 2002 NBA Western Conference Finals all over again. (Ironically, the Kings are my favorite NBA team… it seems that the big referee controversies always happen to teams I really like…-_-)

Another thing that’s odd (no pun intended) is that Vegas released its odds for the teams to win NEXT year’s Super Bowl, and the Colts are 4-1 favorites, while the Seahawks (and Patriots) have 5-1 odds. And Pittsburgh’s odds are 6-1 (as are Carolina’s). I just found it strange that Vegas would make Pittsburgh the favorite in the Super Bowl, and then, after they WIN the Super Bowl, the team they beat would have higher odds to win next year’s Super Bowl. Is it because Bettis retired? He wasn’t even their number 1 running back. And Seattle might not even have Sean Alexander next year (he’s an unrestricted free agent).

It’s probably due to the fact that Big Ben played like shit, while Hasselbeck actually looked competent. Although, the Alexander issue should keep the Seahawks and Steelers even in the odds.