News and celebrities

I have CNN set as my homepage, because otherwise this forum would be my only contact with the current events. Today, front page was a picture of Kobe Bryant with the headline proclaiming that he would go to trial. I understand that it’s big because people want to know about these sordid affairs, but when stuff like this is front page and I have to dig to find something intelligent, it drives me nuts.

So my question is this: why do people care so much about things so trivial? In the grand scheme of the world, one basketball player doesn’t amount to beans.

Also, where can I find a quality, relatively unbiased news source? I rather don’t like CNN’s slant on news, but they have a better depth of it than what else I’ve seen.

I visit The Guardian (www.guardian.co.uk) and Reuters (www.reuters.co.uk) for news.

People care about trivial things for a variety of idiotic psychological reasons having to do with identity and the positive perception of self.

“Sordid affairs” make for great distractions and smokescreens to keep issues of real import from being intelligently discussed.

This is what happens when your “objective” news sources have to operate as a for-profit business. What’s important is subjugated for the sake of what will sell. Exposes that might paint a major sponsor/advertiser in a bad light ain’t gettin’ in, lest that vital ad spot be withdrawn.

Originally posted by Sinistral
[b]I visit The Guardian (www.guardian.co.uk) and Reuters (www.reuters.co.uk) for news.

People care about trivial things for a variety of idiotic psychological reasons having to do with identity and the positive perception of self. [/b]

Good, you use the same news sources as me.

And sadly, there are a lot of people who take more interest in trivial things than in important things. News stories about all the hungry people in Africa doesn’t sell, a news story about some famous person going through a surgical operation does.

points at quote in sig

I’ve always done just fine by reading the BBC news page: www.bbc.co.uk/news

If you’re looking for more specific areas of interest, like science or something, just say so.