New York news

Why the hell does NYC need another stadium? I don’t get how they need another one, why the state would waste millions upon millions of dollars to further pamper all of the damn sports teams. I mean christ, can’t this money go to better objectives? Can someone explain the idiotic obsession?

Games! 150 days of games!

<b>He’s cleverer than I thought.</b>

Clever? The whole of Rome would be laughing at him if they weren’t so afraid of his Praetorian.

<b>Fear and wonder. A powerful combination.</b>

Do you really think the people are going to be seduced by that?

<b>I think he knows what Rome is. Rome is the mob. He will conjure magic for them and they will be distracted. He will take away their freedom, and still they will roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the Senate, it is the sand of the Colosseum. He will bring them death, and they will love him for it.</b>
<!-- -->

Link? And what kind of stadium? Which sport?

both the Mets and Yankees are due to get new stadiums within the next 5 years or so, it’s been announced.

For the record, the Yankees are paying for the entire stadium out of their own pocket. The city is picking up 50-70 million in infrastructure costs associated with the stadium. This includes expanding parking availability, building a new subway station, and maybe altering the freeway routes or something. I don’t know anything about the Mets’ deal, but I presume it’s something similar. The recent trend in sports has actually been for teams to have to build their own stadiums these days, cities have been less and less inclined to foot significant portions of the bill (SF Giants, NE Patriots, Red Sox improvements, Mets, Yankees, etc.)

I think its because they want to host the olympics, but everytime they make a bid, the Olympic Comitee says “you’ll need a ton of stadiums, and considering your city is already maxxed out, where the hell will you put them?” So they try every few years to build new stadiums to show that they can have space for the games, and so they can say “oh look! we already have [x] number of stadiums anyway!”

Of course…they don’t say this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But i think thats the reasoning behind it.

Though i think NY shouldn’t get the games for a long time. They already had it in '88 at Lake Placid.

oh yeah, in the Mets case it’s associated with the Olympics coming to NYC. So maybe the city is paying more of that.

That’s probably partly due to franchises up and leaving cities sometimes. New York Dodgers, NY Giants (baseball), Boston Braves (both of them) anyone? Or even the recent Expos move. I’d be pissed to pay for a new stadium if the team may just up and leave in 10/15 years or so.

I dunno about that, I think most baseball franchises are secure enough that they won’t be moving. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are the Washington Nationals and the Florida Marlins. The Marlins of course may be moving due to the unavailability of funds for a new, private stadium and the Nationals just moved there and there’s still some doubt about how secure they are there. But I think the Nats are fine though given their success and the number of season ticket sales they drew in DC. The Marlins however, will probably be the last team to move around for a while.

But then again, who knows?

all of those teams moved a long time ago. Usually what precipitates a move is if the owner doesn’t feel he’s making enough money there, which the stadium is a big factor of. For example, the reason why there was discussion to contract the Twins was because the city continuously refused the owner’s strongarming “build me a new stadium” demands. A lot of NHL squads have moved around over the last ten years or so, mostly because of the depressed Canadian dollar.

The new stadium deal is apparently in bad shape, but with or without a stadium, Paris is beating all other Olympic candidates by a large margin.

And what happened to the Minnesota Twins and relocation? They were on the chopping block, but now very few people would consider contracting them.

The Expos happened in 2004. >.>

But still, there is some fear of “Why should we pay all this money on a ballpark? Then, if you’re in a slump and we don’t attend it, you blame it on the park and threaten to leave unless you get a state of the art stadium.”

Now if it’s being built in part for something like the Olympics, that’s different. But I guess I can say that since Turner Stadium used to be Olympic Stadium. >.>