New Mario Bros, yo

I got a bit of a windfall last week, so I decided to treat myself to a new game. So I picked up the New Mario Bros.

So far, I am not dissapointed. Anyone else got a copy yet?

I don’t have a copy yet but my sister got it and she can’t stop playing.

I’ve been pretty damn well satisfied so far.

You know, this game seemed to have come out of nowhere, I didn’t hear anything about it before it was released.

Nintendo did seem to keep the game under the radar, mostly. I only found out about it a few weeks before it came out.

I picked it up last Thursday, and I’ve enjoyed it a lot. I ‘finished’ the game around Sunday, but I’ve spent the time since finding all the secret exits and getting all the star coins in the levels. Now I only have world 8 left to totally complete.

The game plays a lot like Super Mario 3 or Super Mario World, there’s a bit of both in there, and a lot of themes from the original SMB game as well. Plus some of his moves from Mario 64, ie: Wall jumping and ground stomping. The three new power-ups are pretty cool as well. The Mega Mushroom is more like another invincibility star, though, since it’s on a timer and doesn’t pop up very often (you CAN get one ‘stored’ at big Mushroom houses though). The blue shell is pretty innovative, but you really have to be careful when using it, or you could find yourself uncontrollably falling down a pit. The mini-mushroom is also neat, though it makes you REALLY vulnerable. Aside from allowing you to enter small passageways and pipes it also gives Mario a bit of a boost to his jump, and greater distance and flexibility.

My only real beef is that the two ‘hidden’ worlds weren’t all that hidden. I was expecting Nintendo to cleverly hide the entrances to the worlds, and instead you’re plainly presented with what to do when you beat the bosses of Worlds 2 and 5. You’ll see what I mean.

There’s also a plethora of mini-games available that use the touch screen, some of em quite fun, and a multiplayer mode if you’re lucky enough to have some friends nearby with a DS (I don’t).

So all 'n all it’s well worth the purchase price.

Most of the minigames ar e recycled from Super Mario 64 DS, though.

I’ve heard several people say that they hadn’t heard about the game until the last couple of weeks, but I’ve been intently following it for about a year now.

Since I don’t have Mario 64 DS, that’s cool with me.

Also, Mario vs Luigi mode is a hoot and a half. :smiley: