New Bliz game to be announced on May 19th

Yep but only on fixed levels (hm, elevated siege tanks). Wasn’t Myth the first RTS to do something like that in 3d?

The diversity of the units of SC makes it feel like your use of them matters. In WC3 they seem to be overshadowed by the heroes, not to mention that I’m not really for level grinding in strategies. I have RPGs for that. Fun fact:You can beat the last stage of the Humans’ campaign using only Arthas.

Anyway, Starcraft II please.

metagame sounds like a vaguely insubstantial buzzword.

Good job on describing absolutely everything which involves strategy. I guess if you cut out the “metagame” there pretty much are no longer any strategic endeavours left in the world.

Broadening the rpg-ish definition, as you know more things than the character(s) you control in a game you always “metagame”. But if this is the default condition, why make a fuss out of it?

Mind, one can discard all games for not being deep because they are simply games . Kasparov went into politics even though he was world champion in one of the “deep” games. On the other hand even in life, which I suppose is the deepest game we have, you can have a pretty shallow play-through. Deep is in the eye of the beholder, what do you consider to be deep? I’m a pretty shallow guy.

Starcraft II an MMO?

Now, I’m dubious of the credibility of the source (‘well placed’ US souces?), so take it as nothing more than a rumor. Rumors sometimes prove to be true, though…

Still, if it IS going to be an MMO (MMORTS?), it’d have to be different enough from WoW as to not compete with it, or perhaps be free to play.

I told you they’d fuck up.

If this is even half right in either way, it’s gonna suck :frowning:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=163207

edit: I do hope it’s completely wrong though.

So, how is this automatically going to suck?

I completely missed a lot of shit when i saw the MMO stuff an posted it, so here goes.

Metagame is a very real concept. It’s stuff like psyching out your opponent with unorthodox tactics or just trying to make it last as long as possible because you know you can’t win, and that they’ll quit before you will. Shit that’s outside the game but you can still exploit it to make it work for you. Hell, even unplugging your opponent’s computer or using a tactic you know will cause them extreme lag (smoke grenade spamming in CS 1.6 comes to mind, as well as massing graphically taxing units in Rise of Legends or something similar) so they leave or crash. You could loosely describe some other things such as exploiting bugs as metagame but there are gray areas all over.

The strategy in most RTS games is next to non-existent if you really look at it. The only strategy you can get out of most are on a professional level, because then it’s just whoever has the most APM and the tightest build order. To casual gamers, a superficial unit type system and/or a hero system is no substitute for strategic situations in games such as rise of nations or, hell, even age of fucking empires. Me and my friends, casual/lazy gamers through and through, enjoy rise of nations more than any other games because of the strategy that’s just there. Each game is completely different even if we start and try to go the same way. Starcraft and warcraft were insanely fun games, but casual players don’t get much strategy aside from “mass this unit and hope they don’t have this one.” The games are just mindless fun.

Yar, it’s gonna suck because most of the people around when SC and all the good blizzard games were made are gone. I don’t really see how they could make any great games, or why they’d want to, now that they have WoW. It’s insanely popular and pulling people away to develop anything else will, potentially, detract from what they’re doing. The longest running MMO, to my knowledge, will have been running for about 10 years this september. That’s a decade of pretty much a license to print money, why risk screwing it up to put people who didn’t work on the originals on a sequel.
Besides, we all know we’re gonna buy whatever it is either way. I just hope it doesn’t suck, and I don’t want to get my hopes up.

And yeah, I see where you’re coming from with the whole metagame shit now, but just dismissing all that stuff as not counting as strategy just is being dumb. Just because it’s not handed on a silver platter and immediately obvious in the game doesn’t mean it’s not there. But jesus, I don’t even like RTS games, moving on.

So is this MMO Everquest, or what? You’re not making any sense there.

It’s gonna be MMO something supposedly. Hopefully something like shattered galaxy or Planetside. MMOFPS or MMORTS would be all that would have a chance. MMORPG starcraft is just dumb.

I wouldn’t believe a damned thing anyone says for the next couple weeks. It tends to not be a good idea to trust anyone but Blizzard for info on their projects.

I meant the 10 year old one, not the very obvious attempt at generating traffic.

Wait a minute… May 19th? Never say that date!
(I’m sure no one but 984 knows what I’m getting at.)

Well, we’ll see what it’ll be.

DON’T EVER SAY THAT DATE! RAGH! chokeslams Flint

The game I’m talking about, TD, is ultima online. I know 20 or so people who still play it. It’s pretty sad, but the game was good for its time.
It’s pretty much a given that the lifespan of good MMOs are 10-15 years, or whenever ultima dies.

Wait, I thought they killed off all the official UO shards 3 years ago? Man, I remember that game. Just jerking around, summoning blade spirits on top of everyone. So excellent.

Killed off? EA’s releasing a new expansion with a graphics and UI update this year.

I think what Steve described is called “being an asshole” by most players :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, those are the asshole examples of metagaming. They’re the most common ones as well.

You can find other examples :wink: