NetHack thread.

As you can no doubt tell from the avvy, Nethack has twisted me into a bitter, cynical and paranoid soul who doesn’t dare move a sodding inch lest his kittem turn into a mondflayer or his sword disintegrate in his hand.

Anyway, this isn’t a ‘bitch about NetHack’ thread. There’s precious little advice out there for the new guy. So any of the Ascended have some tips for people who’ve just wandered into the first floor and wondering why the hell they keep falling asleep andjackels are eating them and OH GOD I CAN’T GET THIS RING OFF AND GOBLINS ARE EATING MY FAAAAAAAaaaceeee…

One of us, one of us, one of us.

And it’s kinda hard to give non specific tips just because there are so many of them, the difference between someone who has ascended and someone who has just started it out is that one of them knows the 8,000 little tricks and tips in Nethack. If you’re still around the first floor I would reccomend checking the guidebook every once in a while to learn a few new keystroke commands, and try playing a monk. Monks tend to crush everything in their path early on.

What? 1st floor? Oh hell no. I’ve been playing for the last 5 month on and off. I can deal with the interface, but it’s the little touches that serve to SLAUGHTER ME HORRIBLY. Farthest I ever got was Floor 17, and then some goddamn traps broke all my shit and then turned me into a fox. Bastards.

Yeah, I was stuck not being able to get past around floor 17 for a long ass time. I finally managed to bust past that as a Valk. Try them, they’re one of the easiest classes. You can get Excalibur by dipping your longsword into a fountain once you’re at least level 6, and their first gift is always Mojo. If you can get one of those, and maybe some DSM from a fountain wish then there’s no reason why you can’t make the castle.

Oh, and what’s the significance of the Full Moon message? It says I’m lucky, but how?

It means…DEATH

I never, ever get tired of that picture. :smiley:

Oh, and how do I check how much damage a weapon does or compare weapons? Usually I stick to the basic sword until I find something with better bonuses or that sounds impressive. And what’s DSM?

And so nethack returns to it’s undisputed throne on the fourms of our world. What next will be instore for those who, hiding away from nethack, stalk within the shadows the true meaning of life. Only time shall tell.

:kissy:

Game’s great, though I suck at it personally ;_;

a DSM is a “Dragon Scalemail” of undefined color, they are generally the best armors in the game. The only way to compare weapon damage is through the use of spoilers, as the game doesn’t tell you anything about your damage. also, I fear listing “get the amulet of yendor” as something to do “in the foreseeable future” is bad for one’s sanity.

Damnit. I got to floor 17 and then died of starvation again. Is there any way to check what I eat will kill/poison/whatever me, 'cause it’s very annoying.

EDIT: Yaaaaay, DSM! Thank you random water demon trapped in a fountain!

For the record, gray dragon scalemail and silver dragon scalemail tend to be the most useful ones. Gray give magic resistance, while silver gives magic reflection.

As for eating: never eat anything you didn’t kill. You’ll just have to keep a list of things that do bad things when you eat them; for instance kobolds, most insects, homonculi, most snakes, and many other monsters have poisonous corpses.

[QUOTE=deathstryke]For the record, gray dragon scalemail and silver dragon scalemail tend to be the most useful ones. Gray give magic resistance, while silver gives magic reflection.

I got red. I didn’t mind much, what with having -6 AC on Dlvl 7.

As for eating: never eat anything you didn’t kill. You’ll just have to keep a list of things that do bad things when you eat them; for instance kobolds, most insects, homonculi, most snakes, and many other monsters have poisonous corpses.

What about tinned stuff? I bought some of that when I was hungry, pried it open and are it, and summarily died of food poisoning.

I think you’re mixing up food poisoning and poison corpses. Food poisoning is from old corpses (which is why you shouldnt eat corpses unless they were just killed (Also don’t eat zombies or mummies since they’ve obviously been dead a long time)), poison corpses come from poisonous animals like killer bees, snakes, kobolds, things like that. I’ve never ever run into food poisoning from a tin, you might have eaten a poison animal, which usually takes off a few HP, that might have just knocked you over the edge.

as a side note: this thread is about to kill my GPA…

He could have eaten some tripe rations or something bad like that.

Grah. I know there’s always supposed to be a way down to the next floor, but I’ve been wandering Dlvl 11 for ten minutes now and I don’t see an exit. >:(

I hate the big room, really, never been past it.

Also, what’s royal jelly (I think it’s called that) do? I find it in rooms full of bees.

Tripe can’t directly kill you, it can make you confused, stunned, or make you vomit but that’s about it. Actually, I’ve heard tripe can cure food poisoning if you’re really desperate, since if it makes you vomit that should fix your sickness.
By the way, if you have food poisoning you can fix it by: #praying, eating a non cursed eucalyptus leaf, casting cure sickness, drinking holy water (Not sure about this one) or applying a non cursed unicorn horn.
It shouldn’t even be called food poisoning, that confuses things, call it being deathly ill.

Head to the gnome mines, find yourself a pickaxe and make your own damn exit!