Natural Selection... In Action!

I don’t think I’ve ever visited a message forum anywhere where there hasn’t been a creationism-in-school discussion at some point. It’s not the first time we’re seeing it here, either. And this is a calm, civil discussion as opposed to the moron-fests it usually is.

One of the things I personally like about science as opposed to religions is that science has gotten us, ultimately, the computer I’m typing this on. Religions, by and large, encourage neither experimentation nor questioning of established statements.

Neither does philosophy or, for the most part, art. But both are quite valid ways of leading your life.

It should be taught as a philosophy. BUT, philosophy is generally not taught in high school, so neither should creationism.

Originally Posted by Kunaikunoichi09
Wow. This is odd. I can’t believe you guys are fighting over whether creationism should be taught in schools or not. That dispute was settled a long time ago. If you don’t like it, don’t go to public school.

Many of the people who choose to take this route do so because they feel that their child isn’t receiving enough religious education, or they don’t want to risk exposing their precious child’s soul to such blasphemous ideas like evolution.

Sadly, this gives a bad rep to those who choose homeschooling over public schools for more legitimate reasons.

Thou makest a pretty awesome point there, Cid, as usual. :wink:

I feel an instinctive need to still put religion in its own separate category as somehow “negative”. Please wait while I attempt to rationalize this …

Hm. I think it’s because of the problems that fundies cause with the attitude that “My way of thinking is the ONLY way, or else!!” This spreads, and I know this is fallacious, to all religions. I’ll have to think about it further.

Another correction: It spreads to particular practitioners of all religions. As it does practitioners of practically any ideology, including science. For every practitioner who acts like that, there are ten in the silent majority who just get on with things.

Sorry, I phrased that wrong, I meant my perception of it spreads to all religions.

I’d also like to point out that atheists who are all “Anyone who believes in ANY religion AT ALL is a deluded, insane fool!” are no different from fundies.

Are you implying that art and philosophy do not encourage experimentation or question the status quo? I sure hope I’m misinterpreting your post.

I mean that art and philosophy are not going to change people’s lives anytime soon, not in the way that science does.

I have to disagree with you there Cid. A discovery made in science doesn’t take effect over night. In fact there are theories that were conjectured centuries ago that we are still in the process of understanding kinda like Newton’s Law of Gravity. And even in technological advances it takes a while for the cutting edge technology to be made available to the masses.

Plus technology and art do go hand in hand in my opinion. To allow the masses access to new forms and works of art new technology is needed like how the printing press enabled a far more efficient means to reproduce literature. Like how photographs and cameras were made to preserve images which inversely led to the creation of a device that could project images onto a screen which served as the first movie. Music has seen new instruments over the ages from simple drums and horns to complex synthesizers and iPods. And thanks to the computer we have Video Games and the Internet which can be used to view, copy, and share pieces of art from the comfort of your own home or even on the go.