Nationalism all aside, now THIS is patriotism.

Yeah, it’s not really about patriotism I don’t think, at least I don’t see it like that. Or rather, maybe it is about patriotism, but regardless, you’ve gotta have a huge amount of respect for anybody willing to risk their lives for, well, anything. Even if you don’t believe in what they’re risking their lives for, just the fact that they’ve consciously decided that they’d rather die than not be faithful to their beliefs is…well, pretty badass.

Though Sorc brings up a good point about how, well, many people join the army not out of some innate patriotism, but rather because they’ve got no options left. Though…it’s different with the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown soldier cause, they’re hand-chosen for their…intensity of belief? However you wanna call it.

Regardless, idealogically I see the Tomb not as a monument to America, but rather as a monument to, well, life itself, and its tragic end in war. Which is something definitely worth respect.

-Mazrim Taim

Originally posted by Igatona
[b]<center>Wait until the war is over
And we’re both a little older
The unknown soldier
Breakfast where the news is read
Television children fed
Unborn living, living, dead
Bullet strikes the helmet’s head
And it’s all over
For the unknown soldier
It’s all over
For the unknown soldier
Hut
Hut
Hut ho hee up
Hut
Hut
Hut ho hee up
Hut
Hut
Hut ho hee up
Comp’nee
Halt
Preeee-zent!
Arms!
Make a grave for the unknown soldier
Nestled in your hollow shoulder
The unknown soldier
Breakfast where the news is read
Television children fed
Bullet strikes the helmet’s head
And, it’s all over
The war is over
It’s all over
The war is over
Well, all over, baby
All over, baby
Oh, over, yeah
All over, baby
Wooooo, hah-hah
All over
All over, baby
Oh, woa-yeah
All over
All over
Heeeeyyyy

The Doors - Unknown Soldier</center> [/b]

I think that’s one of their best songs. Awesome band.

Originally posted by Mazrim Taim
Though Sorc brings up a good point about how, well, many people join the army not out of some innate patriotism, but rather because they’ve got no options left. Though…it’s different with the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown soldier cause, they’re hand-chosen for their…intensity of belief? However you wanna call it.

Still, most people join one fo the services for some sort of blief. You don’t just sign away your life because you want money. A lot of people don’t join because they have no options left. I had many options when I joined the Marines. I could have looked for a job, done ROTC at school and that be it, could have got more financial aid, could have looked for a scholarship, etc. In fact, people tell me it’s bullshit that I joined to help pay for college since the Marines have the worst pay in away. However, I wanted that sort of prestige and wanted to do something big. Some of the guys I’ve met make tons of money, but are still Marines. One makes $100s of thousands of dollars a year, another is an actor, some are lawyers, some have successful careers and still join. Not only that, but at boot camp they say that those that join during the summer (like I did) usually are more motivated since that is their first choice and what they really want to do. Those that join during spring or something usually aren’t as motivated sicne they’ve used up many other options, then there are exceptions to each. However, people don’t just join because they have no other options. Some join just because they want to be in the military. In fact, I was originally thinking of joining after finishing college to get soem real world experiece (I was a computer science major and wanted to join the Navy or Air Force) and thought it would be a great stepping stone. In fact, soem take huge paycuts by joining the military, but do so because they want to. All officers have college degrees, medics could work in hospitals and make more money, but choose not too. Not only that, but usually after going thorugh boot camp everyone develops a good amount of patriotism and keep it instilled by watching motivating movies…such as Black Hawk Down and Full Metal Jacket.Either way, there is some patriotism in everyone prior to joining, despite how little it may be at the time.