My yearly holiday rant.

I got written up for not wishing someone a Happy Holidays in the old store I worked in. I still don’t. I barely want to wish any of the rotten miserable people I serve to have a nice day. There’s also someone who works there who wishes everyone a Merry Christmas. I always hope that she chokes on her own vomit, anyway.

I can’t wait to graduate from college.

I merely think that there’s a difference between a general holiday theme, greetings, whatnot, and personal holiday wishes towards someone who may not celebrate it. The first is aimed at the majority population who do celebrate the holiday; the latter is aimed at an individual who may or may not celebrate it, and may not be happy that someone automatically assumes that he does.

I’m not going to go nuts about it or call people on it. Nor do I think that anyone means bad by it. I’m just saying that it bothers me, whereas the more public symbols and messages don’t. I don’t want people to be “politically correct” towards me - that would mean “happy holidays”, which I also don’t agree with. I’d rather they just leave out the individual holiday greetings. That’s not PC-ness, that’s sensitivity. The major difference is generally that the former is generally touted by guilty white people, and the latter by people who might actually feel bad about stuff.

If you extend that to other holidays around the year, you’ll end up wanting people to never wish each other a good festivity. Because really, I can’t tell if you’d celebrate Mardis Gras or Thanksgiving, so I wouldn’t wish you a good one. I wouldn’t want to live in a neighborhood where people are afraid of telling me to have a nice time.

Grinch.

If getting wished a merry christmas is the worst thing that happened to you today, then you had a pretty good day.

what

So now you’re just judging people by my their name?

(Have a nice day, Cid)

I’ve kept with a “Merry Christmas” or “Happy Holidays” for the last few years under the assumption that there’s a good chance whoever I’m wishing well will either actually celebrate a holiday or have a few days off from school or work in the coming days.

Too bad that doesn’t sound as good when pronounced.

I think you people are misinterpreting and over-exagerating everything. My interpretation is that Cid just wants to be left the fuck alone because he doesn’t care and that its bad enough we all have to put up with all the awful fucking christmas music.

You don’t know the half of “awful Christmas music.” Price Chopper plays a banjo version of “Jingle Bells.” BANJO.

Ah, well. At least there’s more Christmas music than patriotic music. Come fourth of July we have like… ten songs on rotation.

If you extend that to other holidays around the year, you’ll end up wanting people to never wish each other a good festivity.

When the festivity is religious, then yes, I don’t think people should be doing that. I think it’s plenty enough for them to festoon their stores with decorations, pipe holiday music through the air, have giant “merry Christmas” signs and have a big fat red guy ho-ho-hoing from 11 AM till 1 PM or by appointment.

I also wouldn’t care if I was in someplace like, oh, the Deep South, where the ratio of Christians to non-Christians is about 100:1. However, Toronto is one of the most multicultural cities in the world, and the assumption that the person you’re talking to celebrates Christmas is far more likely to be false.

Well, I’m trying to be more fair (not “PC”) these days by wishing people Happy Holidays instead of “Merry Xmas”- but that’s as far as I go. If other people are annoyed by it, I’ll apologize if they tell me about it, unless they bitch too much. To me, it’s all about wishing goodwill to mankind. If THAT annoys some people, well then I just plain don’t care.

And Xmas music rocks. :biggrin:

So long as my work doesn’t play holiday music, I’m fine. I feel your pain, Roun. I do. :frowning:

But I don’t really wish anyone anything. It just was never something I did. I just said ‘have a nice day.’

Most people who go around saying “Merry Christmas” to strangers aren’t thinking of it in the religious sense, though. People tend to associate Christmas with presents and non-specific goodwill toward man more than the birth of Christ. Hell, I just read an article in the Philly Inquirer today about how Christmas is big in Turkey, where the population is 99% Muslim. The celebration is a little different in that they aren’t celebrating the birth of Jesus at all, they have it on the 31st, and there are bellydancers, but they’ve got Christmas trees and Santa Claus.

I’m sure they aren’t, but nevertheless it is a Christian holiday, at least the way it’s practised in North America. Like I said, I’m sure they don’t mean anything by it, but the automatic assumption that I celebrate it still bugs me. And it’s not so much just the fact that they aren’t bothering to learn the facts about me; Jews in particular don’t have a very nice relationship with Jesus (as opposed to the Muslims, who revere him as a prophet) and there’s a lot of baggage associated with the whole deal.

People still think of Christmas as a religious holiday?

Man. Get with the times, America.

Yes. They killed Kennedy.

I think you people are misinterpreting and over-exagerating everything. My interpretation is that Cid just wants to be left the fuck alone because he doesn’t care and that its bad enough we all have to put up with all the awful fucking christmas music.

I like Christmas music ;_;