My mom fell for an old trick

She bought some frozen shrimp to cook at home. They looked humongous when she first saw them, but after being cooked, they shrank (I’d say they got 3 times smaller).

The trick goes like this: you get some small shrimp, put it into water, and then take it out and quickly put in a freezer. Water “grows” when it turns to ice, and so the thingies will swell due to the water inside them. When the fool who’s bought such shrimo cooks it, the ice inside the little animals melts and they revert to real size.

Being tricked is not fun, but by that time I’d give anything for a camera just to take a pic of her face :slight_smile: :slight_smile: It went kinda like this:

curses himself for not thinking of this first

What else is new? People are fooled by cruel merchants every day.

That’s…erm…interesting.

Must… resist…

YOUR MOM!!!111111111111111oneoneoneoneone

Were they Nigerian Shrimp? Bada-bum ching

Oh, man! But seriously folks, you hear the one about the Nigerian Scam artist and Don King? Well, neither did the audience! bu dum bum

Caveat Emptor.

(Caveat emptor = Let the buyer beware)

We should all carry cameras at all times. Yes.

Originally posted by Jing
We should all carry cameras at all times. Yes.

“The camera hound of the future wears on his forehead a lump a little larger than a walnut.” - Vannevar Bush, 1945

I never eat shrimp, I usually get an allergic reaction to it (not serious, but my throat starts feeling as if its on fire). That’s kind of amusing, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t really care for shrimp, but I’ll keep that trick in mind the next time we go shopping.

I doubt it is intentional scamming, you have to keep sea food on ice to keep it from spoiling. The swelling is most likely a side effect. I like medium sized shrimp the most, and don’t get large ones often.