MTV Metallica Icon Tonight!

Rawr, I am teh pumped!

What time?

9:00 PM EST =D

I can’t wait at all, time is going soooooooooo slooooooooooooooooooooooow…

MUST… SEE… IT…

Watched it.
Loved it.

I learned a few things about the band in general, however I was interested in how they steered away from the death of Clifford Barker, their first main bassist, and I didn’t know that Dave Mustaine, of later Megadeth fame, was their original original bassist, that probably explains his obsession with catching up to Metallica through megadeth.

As far as the performances go, I thought Sum 41 did a good job, I was impressed. Their singer just couldn’t quite hit the notes right, which wasn’t a problem, they guitar work they pulled was awfully spiffy. Avril Lavigne sucked it up though, I thought she really stunk. The guitar work was pretty good, but it was negated by her shittastic singing. Korn did a great job, and so did Staind, but the cake goes to Limp Bizkit for Sanitarium. Not only is Sanitarium my favorite Metallica song, or at least one of them, but I really liked how they made that work. I was mightily impressed. Worst performance of the night goes to Snoop Dog with SadButTrue…no comment. It was just terrible.

Overall, I thought the show on a whole was great. I was hyped, and now, I simply can’t wait at all for Summer Sanitarium.

I heard it sucked. Sum-41 playing parts of “For Whom The Bell Tolls” “Master of Puppets” and another song, Avril Lavinge playing “Fuel”, Korn playing “One”(and I heard they screwed this up alot, which is hilarious cause they play this at almost all of their concerts, minus the solo of course… stupid nu-metal), Snoop Dog rapping “Nothing Else Matters” (I heard that was fairly decent, and atleast the highlight of the show, cause it was funny), and then Limp Bizkit and “Sanitarium”. I personally think all of those bands are horrible, with the exception of Sum-41 being relatively decent, and I heard their performances weren’t too great either, with all the solos out and all, except for Sum-41.
Also I heard Metallica came on after, and played one of their new songs “Frantic”, which i’m very curious in hearing.

*edit: Whoa, Sorc posted before me, while I was typing all this up. Seems I made a few mistakes, but that’s cause I was just remembering all this from an article I read yesterday.

*edit: “I learned a few things about the band in general, however I was interested in how they steered away from the death of Clifford Barker, their first main bassist, and I didn’t know that Dave Mustaine, of later Megadeth fame, was their original original bassist, that probably explains his obsession with catching up to Metallica through megadeth.”
Many people say that if Metallica’s bassist, CLIFF BURTON (I have no idea who Clifford Barker is, lol), didn’t die, then they might of continued producing thrash albums.
And Dave Mustaine wasn’t their bassist, he was their guitarist. He doesn’t even play the bass.
And he did a damn good job in catching up with Metallica. I think he did a better job than them in the long run, in my personal opinion.

Here’s the actual lineup:

Sum 41 Opened with bits from “For Whome the Bells Toll”, “Master of Puppets” and “Enter Sandman”.
Next up was Staind with “Nothing Else Matters”.
Next, came Avril Lavigne with “Fuel”.
Next, came Snoop Dog with “SadButTrue”
Next, Korn with “one”
Next, Limp Bizkit with “Sanatarium”.
And Finally, Metallica played a lot of stuff. “Enter Sandman”,“Blackened”, “Frantic” and I think a bit from a new song called “Turn out the lights” (Quick Kazaa search), and some other stuff that I dont recall.

I thought Staind, KorN, Limp Bizkit, and Sum 41 were all good.

Originally posted by Sorcerer
[b]Here’s the actual lineup:

Sum 41 Opened with bits from “For Whome the Bells Toll”, “Master of Puppets” and “Enter Sandman”.
Next up was Staind with “Nothing Else Matters”.
Next, came Avril Lavigne with “Fuel”.
Next, came Snoop Dog with “SadButTrue”
Next, Korn with “one”
Next, Limp Bizkit with “Sanatarium”.[/b]

“For Whom The Bell Tolls”, “Sanitarium”(Or “Welcome Home (Sanitarium)” If you want the full name). Sorry, but me being a metal fan and all, I had to correct those, cause they’re damn good songs. :stuck_out_tongue:

And Finally, Metallica played a lot of stuff. “Enter Sandman”,“Blackened”, “Frantic” and I think a bit from a new song called “Turn out the lights” (Quick Kazaa search), and some other stuff that I dont recall.

Lol. That’s kinda funny, actually. Have you ever listened to Metallica’s first album, Kill 'em All? Hit The Lights is track number 1 on that.

I’m on PST, so it’s still on out here.

Pretty cool so far, actually.

I was hoping Snoop would do more than just the first verse of Sad But True, and he went for more singing than rapping.

Avril and her backup band sounded better than I expected. My expectations were rather low…and I wouldn’t say she was GREAT, but she didn’t mess it up, either.

I missed it, forgot it was on and I feel pretty lame for missing it now. Oh well from the mixed responses, it doesn’t sound like I missed a lot, although I would’ve liked to have heard Limp do Sanitarium.

Originally posted by Darkil
although I would’ve liked to have heard Limp do Sanitarium.

I’ve never heard a crazier thing in my life.

I lost my Kill Em All CD. I dont really remeber some of the titles of songs :stuck_out_tongue:

And Cliff Burton, close e-fuckin-nough :stuck_out_tongue: And Mustaine CAN play bass. If you can play regular, you can play bass.

Sanitarium was excellent, and I was surprised. Fred Durst, even though he’s a douche, he did a great job with the song.

You all left out Jim Brewer doing If You’re Happy And you Know It.

Anyway, here is the line up by my favorites:

Metallica- Who else would be the top?
Limp Bizkit- they almost stole the show with Sanatarium and having not lisend to too much of them I may listen to them or at least give them a chance.
Korn- Was great, they got the feeling of the song down and I thought they were good.
Stained- not good, not horrible, almost forgot about them playing
Jim Brewer- just great, he can’t sing well, but I was laughing.
Avril Lavigne- Was decent, didn’t love it didn’t hate it.
Sum 41- Singer just couldn’t sing, the music was good, but he almost ruined it for me.
Snoop Dogg- Need I say more? It just suked, rappers shouldn’t try to rock, they’re RAPPERS!

Oh, and about Frantic: Metallica was in the MIDDLE of playing frantic when MTV cut to a commercial.

I heard on a local radio station that it was because the band still wanted to build more hype for the song and the new album, so they told MTV to cut midway through so that a majority of the people wouldn’t hear the whole thing.

Okay, Metallica did Hit the Lights, followed by Enter sandman, then Creeping Death, then Blackened. After his little shpiel, they played St. Anger, from the new album.

No, they played Frantic. The new albums name is St. Anger, there is a title track too, but they played Frantic.

Oh yeh… i misunderstood my friend. He said something about song and St. Anger :stuck_out_tongue:

I dont think they played creeping death. I thought I heard it, but I don’t think that was it. Ah well, who cares :stuck_out_tongue:

A Metallica thread with an Eminem avvy…thats just wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Crotanks
A Metallica thread with an Eminem avvy…thats just wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

Who says that someone can’t be a fan of both? I don’t like Eminem; just asking.