More indubitable wisdom from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

Grah. This’ll be the death of home publishing as we know it. <_<

Edit: In other news, does anyone here have a list of cases in which the Digital Millenium Copyright Act has be succesfully (ab)used?

What a horribly uninformative article.

http://www.corante.com/copyfight/archives/2005/09/02/the_latest_ip_crime_boxwrap_patent_infringement.php
Slashdot always works as another redirect.

FUCK.

facepalms

What the hell is this? Like the guy in the link Steve posted said: This could apply to just every single object that uses replacements. And hell, it’s not like printers weren’t a ripoff already, with the prices of getting a refill on some models being about the same as buying a new machine.

This decision lacks some weight since the 9th Circus is the most overturned court.

LMAO. Wow nick. That actually made me laugh out loud. Thats really good :stuck_out_tongue: I’m sure its something everyone has heard before, but its the first time i’ve heard it, and damn, i love it :stuck_out_tongue:

Yet another stupid decision…

I doubt this will hold. Any higher court will look at this, laugh their ass off, then move on to other stuff. Then again, this IS the US…

I’LL SHOOT UP WITH CYMK INK WHEN I DAMN WELL PLEASE!

Yeah, I doubt this’ll hold in court. Ink carts are almost as badly priced as gasoline these days. My schools graphic design department wouldn’t have printers if they couldn’t use off-brand refill kits. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, if there was any possibility of that coming true, people would likely boycott these cartdriges and buy legally refillable ones instead, or ignore it all together. How do they find out who’s replacing ink?

Like ren said, how would they find out?

This is a big waste. I would reward people to refill their own ink cartdriges rather than punish them for trying to save money and resources. The empty ones just will go into a landfill, it’s more moral to refill them.

This wouldnt do anyfucking thing regardless. There are these crazy little contraptions(i really dont know the name) that you hook up to like, buckets of ink and they feed into your printer. It’s pretty cool actually, but you have to set it all up yourself and unless you print aaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllooooottttt then it’s not worth it.

Fun.

The cartridges were actually sold in different boxes with an agreement that users of them would use them once and then return them to the company, and they were being sold at cheaper prices than the ones that didn’t have the agreement. The manufacturer did this to try to get a share of the cartridge recycling market.

The legal basis for being able to restrict the use of the cartridges through the agreement is apparently that the cartridges contain patented technology, and this gives the patent holder the right to put conditions on the use of the product.

Now it can be argued that the patent system really sucks and is being abused. That’s where the real problem is.