Morality

A fun read, albeit fucking long.

I was actually quite aware of Gates’ charity work - he was Times’ “Person of the Year” a few years back, or one of them. And Christopher Hitchens has actually excoriated Mother Teresa, though he doesn’t have a lot of support for that.

But anyway… yeah, this was a very intriguing article, touching on some very thought-provoking issues. And the author is scrupulous at not taking sides or indicating any sort of bias. Quite nice.

As an aside, I very much like this line:
“In many arenas of life, two parties are objectively better off if they both act in a nonselfish way than if each of them acts selfishly.”

If enough people saw this as fact, the world would be so much of a better place. -_-

And the idea of interchangability of perspectives - in other words, treat others as you wish to be treated - is also the basis for pretty much every social society, and where jerks are created. Basically, jerks, idiots, dictators and megalomaniacs are simply people who ignore that one basic rule and think they’re different from anyone else.

What I find most interesting is that the basis of all these traits are universal, regardless of how they end up being applied (though there are a lot of taboos shared from 1 society to the next independently).

Yeah… I didn’t follow everything entirely, and some of it seemed to weave back and forth between morality being “built in” and being a product of culture, but it is interesting that to some extent we’re “hard-wired” to at least general aspects of morality.

That was quite interesting. I’m a bit amused that these trolley dilemmas are presented in such a deterministic way.

edit: bugmenot.com to bypass the login

I’m sort of worried by not getting bothered by some of those “EVERYONE GETS OUTRAGED” scenarios. Pretty cool read, though. I rather enjoyed the five spheres approach to moral issues.

That’s because you live in the Netherlands. You probably already fucked your little sister and told all your friends about it.

I would so push you in front of that trolley.