Midwestern American accent...

Where do you live? I never hear Americans pronounce the “t” in “writing” as a “t” (in “write”, yes; in “writing”, no).

I find it ironic that he would tell you to love the Canadian accent when one of the strength of the Canadian accent as an almost total lack of regional quirks. When English teachers are hired abroad, and two candidates have equal qualifications then more often than not they will pick the Canadian candidate over the American one because his English just sounds better.

But it’s true that there isn’t that much different between Canadian English and American English. The most important difference I can think of off the top of my head is the pronunciation of the word “the” most Americans will always say it as “de”, with a D sound. However, while we do use the D sound we also pronounce “the” as “thee”. Both are used commonly and both are considered correct in certain contexts.

You have no idea how much it drives me up the wall to hear “the end” pronounced “de end” and not “thee end.”

How about the way Micheal Dobson talks, Orian? :stuck_out_tongue: Since, he’s been in a lot of anime, they probly like that quality in his voice, so that’s probly it. Try and remember what he sounds like and imitate it :stuck_out_tongue:

Otherwise, try out the OG Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They are all very famous voice actors, and I think a voice like Leonardo is what you could be looking for if you’re in the tenor range. Here are the Turtles, check em out:

Cam Clarke
Townsend Coleman
Barry Hodges
Robert Paulsen

…And wow, just a trivial fact, I just found out that the OG Shredder is Phil from Fresh Prince. That’s…weird! Lol!

And 984 you LIE. I talk all different from y’all bitches :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve almost never heard “de” in standard American English (i.e., not including Ebonics). The rule in America is, “thuh” before consonants, “thee” before vowels.

You Americans all need to stop butchering our language. Don’t make us come over there.

Also Jango, if you want to VA in the type of places that made Armada popular, you desvere your loss of identity. And your heartbeat. :stuck_out_tongue:

Bah, England has been responsible for more linguistic change than America. E.g., Shakespeare said his r’s, and used words like “sick” for “ill” and “candy” for “sweet”. We’re true to the traditional language on this side of the ocean.

Though it is technically two syllables, there is an implied dipthong in a word such as this. When us midwesterners say riding, we don’t say “ride” then “ing”, as if we were pronouncing the two parts of the word separately. If you listen very closely, you’ll hear a very quick dipthong that would sound similar to “rah-ee-ding”. The same goes for words like cat or rat. They are one syllable words, but there is in implied dipthong, and if you listen closely it sounds like “ca-et.” A friend of mine is romanian, and he moved to America (chicago specifically) when he was six. This is a bit beyond the age where one readily picks up on these almost invisible dipthongs. When he says the word “cat”, it sounds kind of strange. That’s because he is inverting the dipthong and saying it like “ce-at.” The dipthong rolls off the tongue so fast that the difference in sound is extremely minor, but one can definitely tell that it doesn’t sound quite “right.” If you want to learn more about accents, I suggest picking up a book designed to teach foreigners how to correctly pronounce words. I realize a Canadian hardly applies to this, but I can’t think of any quicker way to learn accents. There might also be books designed for actors specifically to pick up different accents.

As for the person who said midwesterners pronounce a’s strangely…I know that here in Chicago, we have what is known as the long ‘a’. We pronounce words like “Chi-kah-go” as "chi-keh-go"or “Kahl-or-ah-do” as “Kahl-or-eh-do.” This might be just a chicago thing, and not a midwestern thing. I’m not sure.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I’m probably just gonna watch a buttload of dubbed anime since they should speak with midwestern accents.

You did come over here Pierson. You got your ass handed to you. We fight dirty over here, and you’re just too highbrow to learn to stoop to our level. :smiley:

And I pronounce it “thuh” as well. I have a kinda strange accent (definitely not Bostonian) if you can understand me.

Yeah, but that’s only 'cause we were over there as well, and when it comes to British ass whooping, you don’t get better than the Irish.

I’m going to quote this because it’s true, and this is coming from two people who live in the midwest. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not only the midwest, but the heartland!

ok, i understand the implied dipthongs, but i dont think seperating them with a hyphen is the correct way to go about demonstrating them. also, youre nuts if you think americans anywhere outside of new jersey pronounce “the” with a d sound.

Well I didn’t know any other way of doing so. Saying “cat” is really pronounced like “caet” would be just as misleading, because I think most people would think of “kate” if they saw “caet”, but cat certainly doesn’t sound like “kate.” but the hyphen stresses that in the word “cat,” there are really two different sounds being said, even if they run together so quickly you can hardly detect it. If we still used accent marks in english, we could just say caët to get the point across, but I’m not sure how many people are familiar with the dieresis.

Are you trying to make us sound like complete hicks? :frowning:

You’re American, being a hick is implied.

sniffle

Some of us are.

And you’re in Canada… Where, ''Aye, mate! Lets go down to the biggins to play some Hawkaye, aye!?" is implied! >:O

Bah, every country has their form of rural people. We’re just infamous for our hicks because they’re unusually obnoxious. >.>