Midgar Zolom

i was wondering how many of you can defeated that snake the first time you encounter it. so, can you?

The FIRST time I encountered it? Hell no! Although my sister was crazy enough to level up until she could fight her way through the marsh to the cave on the other side.

Yeah… albeit it was partly due to my incredible luck with Cloud’s limits (I had Climhazzard by then + Hardedge from SOLDIER 3rds = über damage by that point of game), and the fact I got Beta. He stood no chance.

I’m not 100% sure, but couldn’t you STOP him with Choco/Mog?

It never worked for me. And how did you get new Limit Breaks, I never understood that.

The first time I met him he killed two party members in two hits (maybe one and a half). I didn’t wait for “game over”, I reset immediately, I just understood I had to visit that farm-looking thingy a bit back. I don’t think the game is designed for you to beat the zolom at this stage.

Originally posted by zolom
The first time I met him he killed two party members in two hits (maybe one and a half). I didn’t wait for “game over”, I reset immediately, I just understood I had to visit that farm-looking thingy a bit back. I don’t think the game is designed for you to beat the zolom at this stage.

You know, he knocks one of the group out of the fight, so that you survive.

Originally posted by Valkyrie Esker
It never worked for me. And how did you get new Limit Breaks, I never understood that.

Gamefaqs has a nice FAQ explaining how it works.

Originally posted by lord-of-shadow
Gamefaqs has a nice FAQ explaining how it works.

And I have not been to gamefaqs in over a year, so why dont you just explain it to me?

i’ve never been able to defeat that thing on the first try, regardless of how often i level…

…but i always go and defeat it as soon as i have an enemy skill materia. i find beta to be essential.

well, i managed to defeat it at lvl 14. i slamed the whole party in the back row and had barret mindblow it (i thought that it wouldn’t effect it, but instead it took ALL of its mp) then i just slamed the thing with lvl 1 limit. since it couldn’t cast Beta to kill off your party when you get him down to 1k hp, and only did 250 dmg becuse every party member was in the back row, he wasn’t that hard. but now that i think of it, it would have been faster to get the chocobo…
and to answer your limit break question valk, use your limit break 8 times to get the next limit break of that lvl, kill 60 enimes to get the next lvl limit break. but vincet and cat sith had to kill 80 enimes to get there next lvl limit break. and for lvl 4 limits, you needed to find the item that gave the limit break to the charter (ea: cosmo memory for Red XIII)

so THAT’s why i couldn’t get aeris’s final limit breaks…

…before she was killed.

I think we all know what happens to Aeris. It’s not even considered a spoiler, really, anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

still, there may be some newbie what hasn’t gotten to that point yet…

And has probably already heard that little blurb about 50,000 times before coming here.

cannot find a retort to this alright, it don’t need no spoiler tag…

I beat it first try. Of course I was completely overlevelled.

I didn’t beat it, nor did I die to it.

I had hard time getting Beta from that guy… after beating the two Weapons… >_<

Yeah, it’s annoying getting Beta from him because you’re either too weak or too strong to get him at exactly the right time. 8p If you wait too long you have to keep using Morph, guh…

Anyway… Limit Breaks. The first Break on each level has to be obtained by having that character kill 60 (or 80, as has been mentioned) enemies. You can kill them any way at all (magic, summons, skills, attacks) but that character has to deal the finishing blow. To get the second Break on each level, you have to do the first break 6 or 8 times. And for getting the fourth break, you have to a) find the specific Limit Break Manual for that character, and b) have learned the other six (or three, in Vincent’s case) Limit Breaks.

The last time I played FF7 I went through as quickly as possible. I had exactly one person with level 4 limit break (Vincent). I didn’t bother getting Omnislash at all. And point of fact, Safer Sephiroth was HARD this time around. I even had KotR, and the fight lasted a good fifteen minutes AFTER I used it (and that’s with me using DeBarrier to take off his Wall spell). He used Supernova twice. I was down to two Megalixirs at the end. If two of my characters hadn’t been wearing Ribbons there’s no way I would have won. How embarrassing that would have been. 8p

Originally posted by Cidolfas
Anyway… Limit Breaks. The first Break on each level has to be obtained by having that character kill 60 (or 80, as has been mentioned) enemies. You can kill them any way at all (magic, summons, skills, attacks) but that character has to deal the finishing blow. To get the second Break on each level, you have to do the first break 6 or 8 times. And for getting the fourth break, you have to a) find the specific Limit Break Manual for that character, and b) have learned the other six (or three, in Vincent’s case) Limit Breaks.

Use hypers to put your guys to FURY. MAkes you attacks less accurate, a bit stronger… AND makes your limit meter soar. Helps to get the second break in a level, and helps for the kills if you fight strong enemies that make you break the limit often, and that get killed by the said limits. VERY good if you have attacks that hit all enemies! (Cid’s Dy-Nomite got me Hyper Jump before I finished got to the Temple of the Ancients!)