Microsoft Word and HTML

Or you could get OpenOffice.org - Nice office suite which saves it’s files in XML format. Best of all, it’s 100% free. :slight_smile:

101034761451934591234579796 times better than Word. Trust me on that.

You’re just asking for trouble if you use word to write html, the problem isn’t really that word is bad for html editing, the problem is that’s too helpful, it automatically does a bunch of wonderfully helpful things like filling out meta tags and applying styles for you. The in and of itself isn’t really the problem, its how it does it, word, like most microsoft programs, tries too hard to recreate exactly what you see on screen in your html and in does this in the fastest and easiest way for itself; instead of using cascading style sheets (css) to create a unified class for the appearance of a specific section word will simply inset a copy of the style code into every tag in the section, this will cause a dramatic increase in the size of a given page and will also make your code very hard to modify later on.

HTML really should be written using a plain ASCII text program like notepad, you’ll get a far better end product with that than you’d get using word or even front page, of course this requires you to know more about what you’re doing. However you have indicated that you don’t want to do this, so I’ll give you some advice that might be a little more helpful in your case: Anything is better than word for writting html, hell you’re better off using FrontPage express than using word, but word has an excellent (or at least decent) spell checker so you’ll want to use it sometimes. The trick to using word for html is to make sure none of the extra style tags get carried along to mess up your html, one of the best ways to strip this extra information is to simple copy your corrected text into notepad and then recopy the text from notepad and then paste this back into html; since notepad has no layout or style options you’ve effectivaly reset the your selection back to plain text. You can then paste your text in between your tags and keep your layout exactly the same as before.

Again I strongly suggest you don’t use word for anything except spellchecking, its a terrible html editor and its got to be one of the worst choices you can make, not only won’t you learn how to write html using it, but chances are if you learn anything it’ll be how to write very bad html.

Originally posted by Dark Sand
Again I strongly suggest you don’t use word for anything except spellchecking, its a terrible html editor and its got to be one of the worst choices you can make, not only won’t you learn how to write html using it, but chances are if you learn anything it’ll be how to write very bad html.
We all know that too well from Seph252’s page.

GM, I don’t see your hangup. It’s a joke virus, really, and harmless. It’s been adressed. Just run a virus scanner and nail it.

I find 1st page too useful to care about “disrespect” from a harmless virus. IT’s good and it’s free. That’s enough for me.