Microsoft using Lunix to protect its own site

Microsoft itself is using Linux to help protect its servers against denial-of-service attacks…

Microsoft is using Akamai’s extensive worldwide network to distrubte the massive traffic that is illegally being directed at Microsoft by hackers (Blaster worm)…

Microsoft using a Linux service is ironic, given that Microsoft has identified Linux as its biggest competitor. In a conference call with analysts last month, company CFO John Connors ranked Linux as the #2 risk faced by the company.

LUNIX TRULY IS A SUPERIOR OPERATING SYSTEM!!!

http://www.somethingawful.com/features/usarfreindley/

Hasn’t been microsoft been using linux to run hotmail servers (or been rumored to) for over 5 years?

[nelson]HA-ha![/nelson]

Microsoft markets Windows as a consumer product (primarily), and not as an industrial-strength OS. Unix-derived OSes are much more heavy-duty and suited for server purposes. I don’t see this as being really hypocritical.

Except for the fact that MS is trying to break into the server market now, but that’s another story. :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Kero Hazel
[b]Microsoft markets Windows as a consumer product (primarily), and not as an industrial-strength OS. Unix-derived OSes are much more heavy-duty and suited for server purposes. I don’t see this as being really hypocritical.

Except for the fact that MS is trying to break into the server market now, but that’s another story. :stuck_out_tongue: [/b]

Yea…their ads “escape from UNIX” seem somewhat stupid to me…

M$ is also trying to get into the APPLE market (nothing new, been doing it for years)…

Sparkles no like windows!

It’s like the tale of the cook who worked in a restaurant and had his lunch on the competitor’s restaurant.

That just proves how Windows is not good enough for servers and all that.

Hey, just now I remembered those guys who wanted to sue Linux users and all that. Wasn’t that company about to be bought by MS? And now MS is using the very OS those guys were fighting against. This is just beautiful.

I think it’s mainly because of the fact that the virus is targeting Microsoft system, so if they use Linux for the defenses the hackers will have to change tactics in order to get through. Thus giving Microsoft some time to build up more defences.

Ah yes, the SCO circus…

Here is Darl McBride’s (SCO’s CEO) latest accusations:

McBride:
[b]“We have absolute direct knowledge of this. If you go behind the scenes, the attacks that we get that don’t have IBM’s name on them, underneath the covers, are sponsored by IBM.”

http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/0825scoatta.html[/b]

here is Eric S. Raymond’s (the Hacker community’s unofficial spokesman) response:

ESR:
[b]“Mr. McBride: Late yesterday I learned that you have charged that your company is the victim of an insidious conspiracy masterminded by IBM. You have urged the press and public to believe that the Open Source Initiative and the Free Software Foundation and Red Hat and Novell and various Linux enthusiasts are up in arms not because of beliefs or interests of their own, but because little gray men from Armonk have put them up to it. <em>Bwahahaha! Fire up the orbital mind-control lasers!</em>”

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/08/22/1746248.shtml?tid=19[/b]

Microsoft has used and will probably continue to use Linux/Unix, it depends on what they are trying to get done.

Both Windows and Linux/Unix have advantages and disadvantages, no one earns anything on being studdborn and sticking to only one.

Originally posted by Nulani
[b]Microsoft has used and will probably continue to use Linux/Unix, it depends on what they are trying to get done.

Both Windows and Linux/Unix have advantages and disadvantages, no one earns anything on being studdborn and sticking to only one. [/b]

Except Linux or Microsoft…d`oh