Metallica - St. Anger

I just saw the new video.

Wow, it blows.

They’re my favorite band and all, but wow, that song just blows hard. From the site, they described it as the black album meets Master of Puppets - and if that song is any inclination of the rest of the album, they completly missed the target zone. By like, 9453 feet.

Frantic sounded cool on the Icon, so maybe there’s still hope…but that has to be one of the few Metallica songs I don’t like.

Anybody else seen it? Thoughts? It’s on MTV2 every hour.

I heard it on the radio. I had no idea it was by Metallica until this post. Didn’t sound like them at all.

I have not yet seen the music video, although I heard the song yesterday morning. I thought that it was decent, but nothing like their older material (i.e. up to the black album).

I am not much of a Metallica fan, mind you.

The sound of the drum in that song irritates me. Not much about this song I like…it’s really wacky. I was looking forward to this album until now. I guess I’ll get some of the tracks of the net to see if it’s really worth it, because Frantic is keeping my hopes alive.

And as Gila pointed out to me… they are trying WAY too hard marketing this thing.

Observe:

http://www.metallica.com/stanger/stanger.asp

Yea…my expectations for this album have dropped considerably :\

Originally posted by Sorcerer
The sound of the drum in that song irritates me. Not much about this song I like…it’s really wacky.

I noticed that as well. I was expecting the more thundrous drumrolls common in the band’s older material.

Yea, instead of a deep bass drum sound, we’ve got this poppy little sound.

The song has grown on my a little bit. It starts out good, but then they screw it up towards the middle with an irritating line about dark sets or something. Then Hetfield starts screaming at the end. Completly un-metallica :\

Metallica let me down. There’s no guitar solos, the lyrics are bland and repetative… well, the song is decent, atleast. It isn’t the worst song in the world, but it isn’t what I expected, and I know Metallica could do better.
I WAS going to get the album the day it came out, but now I want to hear a few more songs on the album, to make sure the whole thing doesn’t sound like this… And Frantic did sound alright, so maybe there’s still hope.

Man, Metallica+no solos=lica. Yep. I don’t know what that means, but it sums it up pretty much.

Metallica without any solos simply isn’t Metallica. Especially after this album has been hyped as Master of Puppets, the king of guitar solos, meets the Black Album.

The drums are almost pure noise, it blasts me from having any hope of liking the song. Honestly the band is just too old, and james doesnt have the voice to do the true vocals required, hence he sounds real annoying a lot of the time. But heres a wise quote a listener on the radio said.
‘St. Anger is a bass and vocals song, metallica isnt a bass and vocal band’

I think it’s a really good song…
You… oooh, hey, St. Anger screen saver.

Originally posted by azgard
The drums are almost pure noise, it blasts me from having any hope of liking the song. Honestly the band is just too old, and james doesnt have the voice to do the true vocals required, hence he sounds real annoying a lot of the time. But heres a wise quote a listener on the radio said.
‘St. Anger is a bass and vocals song, metallica isnt a bass and vocal band’

A friend of mine said he downloaded the album and that it was really good - and he’s a hardcore metal fan.

Anyway, if thats anything to go on, I’m still excited about the release, I just won’t be here for it >.<

I like the song, personally. I don’t think it’s better than the old metallica stuff, but by god it’s better than some of the stuff I listen to now :stuck_out_tongue:

Eh…lately I’ve been looking at some harder bands…Pantera and Suicidal Tendencies (Rob Trujillo’s band before Ozzy Osbourne). Some good stuff.

A new metallica album eh? Since I lack radio, does anybody know where I can perhaps find clips of it online? I’m a huge metallica fan (only 102 mp3s though… don’t have S&M or Binge & Purge ;_:wink: I’ll have to hear it before I make any judgements, but I really hope they didn’t take a turn for the worse.

Oh, Sorc! If you like harder stuff you might check out Slipknot. You’ve probably already heard them, but hey I’m just makin a suggestion :slight_smile:

I don’t really like Slipknot. If you took away the lyrics, which really is what pulls me away from them, then I’d listen, but constant screaming about suicide just doesn’t do it for me.

Anyway, you can get the full St. Anger song off kazaa, and Im sure they have some clips on their website, www.metallica.com .

That’s not what SlipKnot sings about…

That’s all I’ve ever heard from slipknot. But this is about Metallica, not Slipknot.

Metallica>Slipknot. And I’m counting all of Metallica’s shitty stuff when I say that.