Math, oh boy... ^^;;; ><

Okay, it’s a math topic, groan.

INTERGERS! I have amath assignment about intergers. I know how to do the work but I foregot how the interger thingy works.

Negative+negative=______
Positive+Negative=_____
Negative+Positive=______

NegativeXNegative=______
PositiveXNegative=_____
NegativeXPositive=____
NegativeXNegative=_____

Negative-Negative=____
Negative-Positive=_____
Positive-Negative=______

How would you slove these problems? But in the _____ spots, tell me if Negative or Positive would go in that spot if it were a problem.

Basically, in the addition ones, it all depends on which number is larger. The bigger number’s sign is the product’s sign.

And multiplying is basically this:
Positive x negative= negative product.
Negative x Positive= negative product.
Negative x negative= Positive product.

Subtracting works different, though. If you subtract a negative from either positive or negative, you ADD the numbers. Subtract positive from negative, and just make it go further down the negative scale.

You need more clarification?

Okay, subtracting can be a little bit tricky. For example…….

-2 – -2= -4

on the other hand……

-2 – (-2)= 0

(When the second negative number is behind ( ) the “ – (-2)” part switches itself and becomes “ + 2”. Remember: Negative - (Negative)= Positive.

Subtracting anything from a Negative number will make it go down.

-2 – "Negative"2= "Negative"4

-4 – "Positive"36= "Negative"40

Subtracting a number is the same as negating that number and then adding it.

so
positive - positive
is the same as
positive + negative

Originally posted by Seraphim Ephyon
[b]Okay, subtracting can be a little bit tricky. For example…….

-2 – -2= -4

on the other hand……

-2 – (-2)= 0

(When the second negative number is behind ( ) the “ – (-2)” part switches itself and becomes “ + 2”. Remember: Negative - (Negative)= Positive.[/b]

Um, Seraphim? The parentheses don’t matter, subtracting a negative from a negative will always end in adding instead.

just stares
Errgh, I remember when I sat there glaring at the explanation page and tried to memorize the rules… still gives me a bad taste in the mouth. I hope you’ll manage better than I did, Chris :slight_smile:

The dreaded math class all over again…I cant even understand half of this post.I can see why I just barely managed to pass math this semester.

curls into a lil ball Maths…oh my…

I’m taking Math right now as well, heh. If you have any other questions about it, feel free to ask. Heck, it would make me more confident in my abilities if I could help someone out. 8)

memorizing rules? this negative+negative, negative-negative stuff is easy. If you add a positive number to a positive number, of course it will be positive. It’s like, if I have some apples, and I get some more applies, do I have more than 0 apples?

For some reason, Val made prefect sense. Thank Val. Also, wow, what a nice little trick SE.Thankies! Everyone else helped clear up the problem too! Thank you everyone! :smiley:

Originally posted by Valkyrie Esker
Um, Seraphim? The parentheses don’t matter, subtracting a negative from a negative will always end in adding instead.

I’m sorry, I phrased that uncorrectly. I’d explain what I meant but I’m too tired to think about math:P

Originally posted by Seraphim Ephyon
I’m sorry, I phrased that uncorrectly. I’d explain what I meant but I’m too tired to think about math:P

Also too tired to think about grammar, it’s INcorrectly.

It was 3:30 AM and I got up at 5:00 am. Trust me, I can’t even speak my language correctly when I’m like that -_-

Just a heads up, when people talk about integers being the absolute basis for anything you do in math from this point on - they ain’t lying. Integers are a very important aspect of all higher level math, and it’s imperative you learn them well.

Yes Sir! Sir Sorcerer!:wave:

Actually integers aren’t that important to math, symbols are. Higher level math is based completely on symbol manipulation, which is all numbers are. And calculus and such deals with more continuous numbers, like real and complex numbers. Integers are just important in number theory.

If anyone says integers are an absolute basis for anything you do in math, they are lying. Symbols are the absolute basis for everything in math. Integers are just some conveniently defined symbols.

Vorpy’s gotcha there.

Yea, this has probably been answered, but I think I can do this cleanly and more efficiently. And it nets me a post. :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Chris-chris
[b]Okay, it’s a math topic, groan.

INTERGERS! I have amath assignment about intergers. I know how to do the work but I foregot how the interger thingy works.

Negative+negative=______
Positive+Negative=_____
Negative+Positive=______

NegativeXNegative=______
PositiveXNegative=_____
NegativeXPositive=____
NegativeXNegative=_____

Negative-Negative=____
Negative-Positive=_____
Positive-Negative=______

How would you slove these problems? But in the _____ spots, tell me if Negative or Positive would go in that spot if it were a problem. [/b]

Neg stands for negative, Pos for positive.

Neg + Neg = Neg
Pos + Neg = if Pos is bigger, it’s Pos; if Neg is bigger, it’s Neg
Neg + Pos = Pos or Neg; when adding, order doesn’t really matter

Neg * Neg = Pos
Pos * Neg = Neg
Neg * Pos = Neg; again, order doesn’t matter in multiplication
Neg * Neg = Pos

Neg - Neg = If 1st is larger (number wise 3 > 2), Neg; if 2nd is larger, Pos
Neg - Pos = Neg
Pos - Neg = if Pos is bigger # than Neg, Pos; if Neg bigger, Neg

That help?

Yuahh… now you two confussed me…:hmm: :noway:

Thanks Cala! that also cleared some things up! I have to get ready for my end of the year exams.:frowning: