Marvel: Civil War

I think the fact that there was a television crew there to begin with was something of a problem. A bunch of teenagers turned saving lives into a spectator sport to get rich/famous, basically. When something goes very wrong as a result of even slight negligence, to people who are hurt and afraid, that looks pretty irresponsible. However much of it was the producers fault, the heroes should never have agreed to let television producers manage and control the means in which they did their jobs.

Again, the general public was on the pro side. A few pockets probably weren’t, but the early protests against Bush’s actions were small, few, and got little media attention compared to all of the people rallying behind him. The number of people/characters arguing for each side isn’t what balances it, it’s the actual argument, and I’d contend that the actual arguments were fairly skewed in against registration. As you said, there were some grievous moral errors on the pro-registration side, and the anti-registration heroes had arguments a lot more convincing, in many ways, than “it’s dangerous not to.” There were both philosophical and practical problems with registration that I feel were addressed far more heavily than anything other than the practical advantages of registration, which seemed to be the only major talking point anyone on that side had. I agree that the debate part could have been handled a lot better, but I really don’t think showing faceless, nameless throwaway characters (or introducing characters entirely to make arguments within a specific storyline) spouting off rants about it would be the best way to fix it.

I think that does come out, several times, in the repeated offers to surrender and ask them to register before actual arrests. Otherwise, if they had reservations about arresting people who violated a law, they probably wouldn’t support that law.

They storyline is fundamentally about an ideological conflict within the superhero community, a climactic event other than a battle between themwouldn’t have made sense. Are you arguing for a more amicable ending, like in the “X vs. Y” comics of old, where the two heroes fought to a standstill until a new threat arrived for them to team up against? I feel like that’s been played out, for one thing, and it wouldn’t really be a workable solution, either; once Doctor Doom or whoever was defeated, the story would be right back where it started, with the heroes in conflict. I’m not saying the battle was well-executed (I wasn’t happy with the way Civil War turned out, either), but I think it was one of the few workable endings.

I think the fact that there was a television crew there to begin with was something of a problem. A bunch of teenagers turned saving lives into a spectator sport to get rich/famous, basically. When something goes very wrong as a result of even slight negligence, to people who are hurt and afraid, that looks pretty irresponsible. However much of it was the producers fault, the heroes should never have agreed to let television producers manage and control the means in which they did their jobs.

The “Reality Show” thing comes from the previous (failed) attempt to revive the New Warriors series; apparently someone thought that exploiting that fad would help sales. (Within the comics, it was explained that the Warriors had lost their funding, and were reduced to having their adventures taped for TV to make ends meet- however, they were genuinely trying to help, they weren’t in it for the money. It does look bad, though.)

…And that’s pretty much all I have to say. The rest is mostly your disagreeing with me more on details than facts. Eye of the Beholder and all that.

I think I’ll leave things there. I’ve already spent more time on this thread than I intended to… I’ve other stuff to work on, I need to focus on it. So, until my next thread, I’ll leave you guys with a scene from Civil War: Disney! :hahaha;

Are you suggesting they aren’t/werent meant for entertaining purposes?

Charle: You asked me to stop posting in your threads, and I did.

So please, don’t post in mine, OK?

Let this be a lesson, Wil. Never try to apply comic book reality to the real world, especially with regards to crap like Civil War. It never ends well.

I don’t know where Charl requested that, but you have no right to say that, Wilf. It’s a subset of trolling. Don’t do it again.

>:\

Let this be a lesson, Wil. Never try to apply comic book reality to the real world, especially with regards to crap like Civil War. It never ends well.
I think you got it backwards: it’s applying too much reality to comic books that doesn’t work.

He requested in one of his threads a few months ago. And it was only a petition, not a demand (otherwise I would’ve brought it to a mod’s attention.) And I hope you’re also directing the criticism at him here. Pay better attention next time.

(No more comments from me on this matter.)

Pay better attention? You could also have PMed a mod or admin when it happened. We don’t see everything. You can stop trying telling me how to do my job. Petition or demand, it doesn’t matter. Telling/asking/requesting that someone not post in your threads any more is a subset of trolling.

Sorry 984, but I didn’t read the above post. I’ve though a lot about it and decided that ignoring you is the best thing to do. I tried to block you but I can’t since you’re a moderator, but nothing forces me to read your postings. If you need to contact me, do it by PM. But do it only for official business.

I should’ve done this sooner, it would’ve saved us a bit of grief. I admit that was my fault. I have a hard time giving up on people, I guess…

Save us all a bit of grief and just drop off the forums; ignoring mods is a bannable offence dude.

… and wtf: ‘have a hard time giving up on people’?! Seriously?! What are you the POPE?

:kissy:

Wil, speaking as a friend and as a Mod: you are seriously taking this a little too far. I get it, you don;t like Charle or 984. I’m pretty sure nobody’s going to entirely fault you for that - well, okay, some will, but whatever. The point is, Wil, you can’t ignore 984’s posts, or tell people not to post in your threads. While you might not appreciate what they bring to your threads, it’s still their right to post what they think.

Also, yeah, whether you think you are or not, you’re kinda patronizing when you talk like that.

I remember seeing those panels and laughing because his ‘calculations’ was just the quadratic equation written over and over again on the walls.

I guess you can say he

puts on sunglasses

found the root of the problem.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Look, 984, wilf, when you two girls are done playing dollies, I would like to get back to talking about civilwar.

We never got back to talking about civilwar.

War were declaired.