Manatees make me sad

But people make me sadder. :slight_smile:

Manatees are the best. Anyone who’s been to Sea World and seen up the manatees they keep for injury treatment knows how serious this is.

Mermaids ^^

Poor manatees. Stupid careless boaters ;_;

I never would have thought of Sin as in support of keeping things alive ;o

I’m all for saving the manatees and stuff, but $5000? In all honesty, I’d rather see that money go into resuscitating our passed out economy.

Manatees need to lose some fucking weight. Just because they’re animals, doesn’t give them an excuse to get fat. It’s disgusting!

Meh, they are also called sea cows for a reason. I don’t think they do much else besides just eat and swim.

and be really damn cute.

I don’t think $5000 will do much for the economy, Sorc, but it could do a decent amount for at least one manatee. Besides, by the time I have that kind of money, either the economy will have righted itself, or we’ll all be at the bottom of the ocean. :stuck_out_tongue:

manatee falls from the sky and crushes Charl Oops. <.<

Sea cows make good sea burgers. But is there a Sea Mad Cow Disease?

YES so don’t eat them.

Originally posted by Charlemagne
bBut is there a Sea Mad Cow Disease?[/b]

There is. They used to make sailors think they (the manatees) were mermaids. I supppose they attracted the sailors to the underwaters and got laid with them.

Anyway, I would like to adopt a manatee. I would take it for a walk, feed it, give it a weekly shower, take it to pet beauty contests…

Originally posted by Sinistral
YES so don’t eat them.
Sin, have I ever not eatin somthing you told me not to eat?

Alabama Sturgeons make me sad.

Really, they do! ;; People fished them so uncaringly and indecently that now there aren’t enough of them left for a stable population. they’re just going to try to reproduce until they die ;;

//

Whooping cranes make me sad.

No, really. ;_; It’s fucking horrible what humans have done, destroying pretty much all of their swampland habitats to build farms and other arable land, and shit. “Oh, swamps are good for fucking NOTHING, let’s destroy it and whoops I’m sorry did I just destroy the home of a whooping crane? OH NO.” Makes me sick…

//

The plight of the Houston toad makes me sad.

It really does… I mean, before the europeans came here, they were all over the woodland areas of what is now southern Texas, but then before you know it, that entire area was fucking urbanized, razed, and turned into one huge goddamn oilfield. As a result the toads are probably going to go extinct, because nobody gives a flying FUCK about toads or whatever. Just another species of toad. Just another species of fish. Just another fucking insect we don’t need in the world. Just another type of crab.

Modern civilization turns people into shitholes. Humanity rules the planet, and the rest of you can go fuck off, or if you’re cute, maybe people will support you. Did you know that in the past five hundred years alone, more than 800 animal species have died out? And now the SPECIES extinction rate is fucking enormous, an estimated three to four species of animals, entire SPECIES, are wiped out every year.

And that’s not even COUNTING population extinction. That is, when an entire population of animals go extinct, causing the biodiversity of an area to suffer. That’s probably MORE damaging than species extinction, because it’s just as bad on a smaller scale, BUT, there’s so much more of it. <a href=“http://www.stanford.edu/dept/news/report/news/october29/population.html”>1800 unique species populations go extinct EVERY HOUR.</a> Think about that. What we’re doing to the world is fucking depressing.

I mean…it’s awesome, it’s really cool that you’re going to donate $5000 to save the manatees; every little bit helps when it comes to helping this earth. But…it’s important, I think, to know that saving this world’s going to involve a hell of a lot more than donating money to cute, gentle animals. And I guess it’s a bit of a personal peeve, that only certain animals on the brink of extinction get national support, but hey, whatcha gonna do. shrug

…sorry for making depressing posts.

-Mazrim Taim

I’m very aware of the plight of a great deal of animals, thanks, Mazrim. However, the manatees touch me… and rather than thinking “oh my god, there are so many to save! what am I gonna do?!?” and throw myself off a cliff, I choose to concentrate on one species that deserves attention as much as any other.

If you think there are certain animals which aren’t getting enough support, why don’t you organize some type of grassroots movement and start getting some damn support for them. Unfortunately, I don’t have money to throw around to every animal which is on the endangered species list, if I did (or if I ever do) I would be more than happy to donate time and/or money to any other creature I could help.

But anyway, sorry for sounding annoyed- oh wait, I AM annoyed, so scratch the sorries.

Sad but true, Marzim is way right.

Maz, you don’t need to remind me of the extinction issues humans are causing (in fact , what humans are doing is comparable to the mass extinctions like the one that knocked out the dinosaurs). Mazrim is not way right , esp considering Mazrim takes no account of the context of what he’s saying. He’s spewing generalized statistics about shit, taking it as fact that nothing can or should be done about the idiocy of people who fuck up the world uselessly.

Nothing you say invalidates supporting a cause with simple goals. Your cynicism shows you really don’t get how simple what it is that needs to get done to actually help Manatees.

Seriously, wtf, since when do you post this kind of shit?

Originally posted by Mazrim Taim
And I guess it’s a bit of a personal peeve, that only certain animals on the brink of extinction get national support, but hey, whatcha gonna do. shrug

As Drew Carey used to say in his stand up act:

"So they have Dolphin-safe tuna now. That’s the big victory. Dolphin-Safe Tuna. Yeah, that’s great … for the Dolphin. What about the damn Tuna? See, these people only wanna save the cute animals. Somewhere there’s a tuna flopping around on the deck of a boat going “Hey, what about me, you bastard?”

:get it?:

But Astral is right too. Doing something is always better than doing nothing. Nobody’s gonna be able to take on every noble cause by themselves; ain’t gonna get anywhere. It’s overwhelming if you look at the big picture, but if you narrow your focus you can start chipping away.

Mazrim, considering you mocked my efforts for half a page, I should probably be really pissed at you, but instead I’ll ask you this: what have you done for any animals on the brink of extinction lately?

If the answer involves hours of volunteering and sweat, or alternatively, monetary donations, I’ll say fine, good for you, and that’s that. Otherwise… you can kiss my butt. :stuck_out_tongue:

Context, right?

Well, manatees are disappearing because we’re taking their habitats for us to use it the way we want. They used to live in peace in good waters, but now we’re using those waters that belonged to them in some recent past. We throw polluents, cross them with noisy boats, cause unstabillity on the fauna & flora by fishing too much & via greenhouse effect… To make it short, we are treating their habitat as if it was our private propety.

Unfair? Yes. But as the song goes, “it’s evolution babe”. We need to ravage every square inch of land & sea for the sake of our develpmnet. And the development of the human species pleases me more than the conservation of the unfit ones. If they can’t stand against us in the competition, then they’re out of the game. edit: I’ll use my energy and resources for the sake of my own population.

more edit:

Originally posted by KaiserVonAlmasy
[b]As Drew Carey used to say in his stand up act:

"So they have Dolphin-safe tuna now. That’s the big victory. Dolphin-Safe Tuna. Yeah, that’s great … for the Dolphin. What about the damn Tuna? See, these people only wanna save the cute animals. Somewhere there’s a tuna flopping around on the deck of a boat going “Hey, what about me, you bastard?”

:get it?:
[/b]

Right on. I think the same way.

Heh , no. Evolution is differential reproductive success. You do not want to go into an evolutionary debate with someone who’s had to fucking teach college evolutionary patterns. This is useless human carelessness and arrogance at work. I did statistical work on Manatees and proved a pattern relating to speed boat liscenses in Florida and Manatee death count. If over a hundred manatees die each year because of idiots using speedboats in places they don’t have to use their speedboats in, then action can be taken to save a lot of fucking manatees, esp over time.

In no way or form does human success have anything to do with the elimination of a lot of species throughout the world. What happens is that conveniently, people decide to do things which could be done a variety of ways which don’t affect the environment in ways which do, neglecting the harm which is done to the world.

The only thing you’re doing with your argument is providing arguments which don’t relate to the issue at hand and over-generalize the problems which humans are causing world wide.