Making My Job Easier:

Okay. I work at Price Chopper (a grocery store chain in the Northeaster United States) in the seafood section. My job during the day is to wrap people’s fish for them, and (if they ask before a certain time) to fry or steam fish for them.

This man wants a pound and a half of cod fried- I weigh it for him IN FRONT OF HIM- and it comes to just about the weight he wanted (its not very probable for it to way exactly- anyway). I cook it for him, and then I give it back to him. This lady comes up five minutes later with his cod (apparently his wife or girlfriend or friend, or whatever), “Price check!” She looks really pissed.

Me: “Does there seem to be a problem.”
Her: “Cod is $6.99 a pound.”
Me: “Yes it is, ma’am.”
Her: “This was supposed to be a pound and a half! You ate some!”
Me: “No, ma’am- food loses weight when its fried.”
Her:" Price check!"
Me: “I told you ma’am, food loses weight when it cooks.”
She storms off, like I said the most insulting thing in the world.

So you know this later- when you fucking DEEP FRY something- the weight of the food you are deep frying LOSES WEIGHT! I thought that this was common knowledge, but I guess that people just aren’t very fucking bright.

Originally posted by Cybercompost
people just aren’t very fucking bright.

“Price check!”

Some people are stupid, and some people think if they compain enough they can get whatever they want. I would assume it’s common knoweldge too, but for people who only buy precooked food, well, why would they need to know (even though at fast food places the menu will say quarter-pounder* weight before cooking).

You guys should have a notice that all prices are pre-cooked prices

Eh I’de tell her to go fuck herself, then again that’s me…

CC you’re such a nice guy :slight_smile:

And you’d get fired.

And this is exactly why the job I’ll be looking for won’t involve dealing with people.

You mean “And that’s precisely why jobs where you see people are off limits” ?

What is it people do at school in the USA? Say the Pledge of Alligiance and then go home to watch crummy soaps?

Originally posted by Sinistral
You mean “And that’s precisely why jobs where you see people are off limits” ?

• Tenchimaru_Draconis sets mode: +b *!Sinistral@dork-51771.oc.oc.cox.net

Yes, Nulani. And then the majority scrapes their way through their first semester in college and take about 80percent ‘roughly’ of that and then drop them.

Stars and Snipes forev0r…

Hard to find a job that isn’t dealing with people in some form or another… Right now I just deal with them on the phone (I work at a law office.) The nice thing about working at a grocery store, retail store, etc. is that more than likely you’ll never see the cranky person who comes in and harasses you again… I need to keep dealing with them over and over again, since they’re clients. :stuck_out_tongue:

… I’d do something painful to you in a furious rage, Sin, but since I’d die halfway there and considering my Rendezvous chapter I will ignore it… curls up in a corner, mumbling incohorently

And CC; Sorry to hear that :confused: As my good ol’ arts teacher said when he was telling us about warning signs:
“Assume that people are idiots!”

Whine loud enough and ye shall be rewarded.

That’s the American Way. Believe me, I get that ALL the time at [SHINRA].

Kaiser speaks truth. I have gotten freebies thanks to that mouahaha.

beats Sin over the head with a mallet until he loses 83% of non-critical brain function

Originally posted by Sinistral
You guys should have a notice that all prices are pre-cooked prices

Why? We weigh it beforehand- print the tag out IN FRONT OF THEM- and then cook it. It SHOULD be obvious that its the pre-cooked price.

They may still say that you weigh before you cook to cheat them.

IDIOTS!

Originally posted by Ren
They may still say that you weigh before you cook to cheat them.

That does not make sense, though. They are PAYING for the meat that I weigh, rather than for the weight of the cooked weight. If we weighed after we cooked, we would be selling fish at a loss.