M:TG Discussion

Over the current year I have dedicated myself to expanding and organizing my Magic card collection. Since I naver had the chance to play against anyone, because most of the collectors I know have lost all interest in the game, I’ve been thinking about contacting the collectors and players in this community, in order to discuss strategies, deck building and other related issues. Who is willing to participate in this?

Sounds good to me!

Here’s a TOTALLY sweet combo: Illusions of Grandeur + Donate.

EV0L! :o

Urza’s guilt+megrim, kills!

I think that the best way to deal with phantom creatures is immobilizing them with Shackles and hammering them with a cheap reusable spell, like Searing Touch, washing away all the +1/+1 counters.

Also, casting Mythic Proportions on a Horned Cheetah will really give you a life boost every turn!

Thorn Elemental Card = One of my favorites, by far.

Attack/Health: 7/7

It can also attack the player as it it was an air unit…or something similar to that.

By the way Manus Mythic Proportions works on more than the Horned Cheetah to gain boosts, although I’m not sure which cards.

ah, thorn elemental…one of my favorite cards…

Aura Shards can be a surefire way to get rid of heaps of artifacts and enchantments. Just think about it… Every creature you summon counts as a Disenchant!
I also like the Dragon Legends from the Invasion set. Only Akroma and a few other creatures could face them, and their abilities can wipe out a player’s strategy.
And now that the Slivers are back with new abilities, a 5-color deck with them will be nearly unstoppable, specially because of Plated Sliver and Ward Sliver. Toxin Sliver will really turn them into killing machines! The Slivers are strong, because each of them shares its abilities with all the others.
And Coat of Arms is great for any deck that uses a single creature type. Even Goblins and Elves will sweep everything aside!
I also like Mirari’s wake, because of the huge mana boost it provides.
And the Mistforms are a great potential threat, since they can exploit any Tribal card.

Mmmmmmmmmkay. I’m stepping in now…

llusions of Grandeur + Donate

Not a bad idea, but there are so many ways to screw that over (Disenchant being one, True Believer another and the always cursed Counterspell).

Urza’s Guilt + Megrim

A nice combo, 'specially if you can get recursion going on the Guilt. 4 Megrims would also mean haha-j00-ded unless they have serious life gain (Wellwisher) or protection (CoP:B or Story Circle). Or, my favorites, Solitary Confinement and Transedence with a Sulfuric Vortex on the board. :stuck_out_tongue:

Phantoms

Oooooooooh, how I love my Phantoms. Green/white Phantom deck – with the right cards – can be unstoppable. Mirari’s Wake jumps right to mind, as does lots of Enchant Creatures and Nomad Mythmaker (2W,T: Return target enchant creature from a graveyard enchanting a creature you control).

As to killing them… Searing Touch can’t kill the creatures, and I don’t know what you’re talking about removing those counters. Stuff like Engineered Plague or any type of mass removal also works nicely…

Mythic Proportions + Horned Cheetah

I prefer a Cleric deck with Ancestor’s Prophet, Starlight Invoker, Doubtless One, and the enchantment that Soul Link all your creatures. That still works nicely, and going back to the Mythic Proportions idea: Phantom Nishoba. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thorn Elemental

May deal damage to defending player as though Thorn Elemental wasn’t blocked. I prefer Rhox over him (same thing, 5/5, regenerates for 2G (I have a foil of him :D)), though… Regenerating straight damage hurts.

Dragons

Elder Dragons are shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. For the most part, at least. Arcades definitely sucks, though. The new ones (Rith and his kin (and the Scourge Dragons) are better, and now you have an easier time playing them (Dragonspeaker Shaman and/or Krosan Drover). Form of the Dragon isn’t bad, but going down to 5 life means you can die pretty easily (unless you have serious life gain). Day of the Dragons is nice; play a whole lot of cheap 1/1’s and tokens, play Day, Disenchant it in response to the 2nd ability coming into play, and you get a whole lot of 5/5 Dragons.

Slivers

BAH. SUCK. ASS. And not because I lose to them. Because I kick their asses. Sure, they can pump, regenerate, provoke, and do everything else, but playing 5 colors is DAMNED hard to do, especially in T2. The only one I’m interested in is the Sliver Overlord, and that’s only because it combos with Unnatural Selection and Conspiracy (again, I got foil! :D), or, if you prefer to stay in-block, the more expensive Mistform Mutant.

Also, Mistform Mutant can also mess up their team, changing stuff they control to different creatures so they can’t do what they want, or to help them (a guy I was secretly allied with had 3 Rotlung Reanimator on the board, and I Cloned 3 of them (so we each had 3)), and I made his Zombies into Clerics, then he sacced them to Cabal Archon to make more Zombies. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, the problem with multicolored decks is getting the right land type at the right time. This can be a hassle even in mere two-color decks.

The Dragon Legends from the Invasion set would make a five-color deck very powerful, specially with their respective Attendants, which when sacrificed provide the colored part of their summoning cost. Dragonspeaker Shaman, Krosan Drover and Fierce Empath can be very useful, as well as the Dragon enchantments of the new set, which can stay in the graveyard and then be moved to a Dragon when it comes into play.
Eternal Dragon is good because of its ability combination, since you can cycle it to get a Plains, bring it back to your hand, repeat, use it for combat over and over again…

When I start making a Cleric deck, I’ll definitely add Zealous Inquisitors, Doubtless Ones and Battlefield Paramedics, as well as Whipgrass Entanglers and Noble Templars. If I make it black and white, then I may add Edgewalker, Starlit Sanctum, Sigil of the New Dawn and a few other Cleric-powered goodies, following the example of Ivory Doom, but taking the new sets into consideration.

Originally posted by Cala
[b]Thorn Elemental
…(I have a foil of him :D)

Slivers

BAH. SUCK. ASS. And not because I lose to them. Because I kick their asses. Sure, they can pump, regenerate, provoke, and do everything else, but playing 5 colors is DAMNED hard to do, especially in T2. [/b]

Everybody and their mother has a foil of Thorny. It comes in the starter pack. It’s about as rare as a foil basic land. :stuck_out_tongue:
Now foil Goblin Piledriver (have) or Scalpalexis (friend has)? Yeah, those are nice.

And I play prismatic sliver with only swamps. It’s not too hard. If I wanted, I could take out 4 non-sliver cards and my type 1 slivers to make it type 2 and still have it work.

Originally posted by Manus Dei
Yes, the problem with multicolored decks is getting the right land type at the right time. This can be a hassle even in mere two-color decks.

If you have trouble getting the right mana in a dual color, your mana ratios are way off.

And it you want to be able to call it a GOOD clerics deck, it must be white black. You can make decent whites, but it won’t be nearly as good as it can be

I was talking foil Rhox, you dolt. :stuck_out_tongue:

And yea, B/W Cleric is the only way to go. They die way too easy, and black is really the only good source of recursion. White has Sigil of the New Dawn, but Oversold Cemetery pwnz Sigil.

I have a VERY nice Megrim deck, and I use the Urza’s Guilt combo to DEVASTATING effect. :slight_smile:
Some other cards I rely heavaly on is the almighty Hymn to Torroch (sp?) and my uber-powerful Cephalid Brokers.
It’s hardly an invincible deck, but it can usualy kill FAST.
I’m always* ready to accept a challenge via Apprentice.

*“Always” = “If I feel like it”

Get on, then. I wanna test a deck.

And you know I pwn your Megrim deck.

She does, she does…and I pwn her once in awhile as well. :slight_smile:

And BTW, I WOULD get on now, but I’m not at home. If you’re on quasi-late, I’ll play you.

Bah. Apprentice isn’t liking me.

And the only time you beat me is when I got mana-screwed. I beat you with one life. ph33r my creature destruction.

GRARAGGASLDJALKJ!!!
Just as my cable modem went to shit, I remade my Magic decks, and then I fix it to find out YOUR ASS MADE THE THREAD FIRST >.<

Oh well…
I’ve created 2 new decks I think are pretty good, here’re the specs.

Green and Red deck:
<b>Lands</b>
<u>16</u> Forests
<u>16</u> Mountains

<b>Sorceries</b>
<u>1</u> Winter’s Grasp
(Destroy any one land)
<u>1</u> Volcanic Hammer
(Deals 3 damage to any one creature or player)
<u>2</u> Lava Axe
(Deals 5 damage to your opponent)
<u>1</u> Spitting Earth
(Deals damage equal to the number of mountains you control to target creature)
<u>1</u> Implode
(Destroy target land. Draw a card.)
<u>1</u> Assault/Battery [Dual Card]
(Assault: Deal to damage to target creature or player.)
(Battery: Put a 3/3 green Elephant creature token into play.)
<u>1</u> Volcanic wind
(Deal X damage, divided as you choose among any number of target creatures, where X is the number of creatures in play.)

<b>Instants</b>
<u>1</u> Vitalizing Wind
(Creatures you control get +7/+7 until end of turn.)
<u>1</u> Shatter
(Destroy target artifact.)
<u>1</u> Lightning Dart
(Deal 1 damage to target creature, if target creature is white or blue, deal 4 damage instead.)
<u>1</u> Magma Burst [Kicker—Sacrifice two lands.]
(Deal 3 damage to target creature or player, if the kicker was paid, deal another 3 to target creature or player.)
<u>1</u> Scorching Lava [Kicker—1 red mana.]
(Deal 2 damage to target creature or player. If kicker’s paid, that creature cannot be regenerated this turn, and if put into the graveyard, remove it from the game.)
<u>1</u> Stun
(Target creature can’t block this turn. Draw a card.)
<u>1</u> Simoon [Bicolor]
(Deal 1 damage to each creature target opponent controls.)

<b>Creatures</b>
<u>1</u> Gang of Elk [5/4]
(Whenever a creature blocks it, it gets +2/+2 til end of turn.)
<u>1</u> Darigaaz, the Igniter [6/6 Tricolor, flying]
(Whenever Darigaaz, the Igniter deals combat damage to a player, you may pay 2 uncolored and 1 red mana. If you do, choose a color. That player reveals his or her hand and Darigaaz deals X number of damage to him or her, where X is teh number of cards revealed of that color.)
<u>1</u> Rith, the Aakener [6/6 Tricolor, flying]
(Whenever Rith, the Awakener deals combat damage to a play, you may pay 2 uncolored and 1 green mana. If you do, choose a color. Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token into play for each permanent of that color.)
<u>1</u> Darigaaz’s Attendant [3/3 Artifact]
(Pay one mana of any color, Sacrifice Darigaaz’s Attendant: Add 1 black, 1 red, 1 green mana to your mana pool.)
<u>2</u> Glade Gnarr [4/4]
(Whenever a player plays a blue spell, Glade Gnarr gets +2/+2 until end of turn.)
<u>1</u> Barbtooth Wurm [6/4]
<u>1</u> Kavu Chameleon [4/4, cannot be countered]
(Pay 1 green mana: Kavu Chameleone becomes the color of your choice until end of turn.)
<u>1</u> Serpentine Kavu [4/4]
(Pay 1 red mana: Serpentine Kavu gains haste until the end of the turn.)
<u>1</u> Verdeloth the Ancient [4/7 Kicker—X]
(All other Treefolk and all saprolings get +1/+1. When played, if you paid the kicker cost, put X 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens into play.)
<u>1</u> Rooting Kavu [4/3]
(When put into graveyard from play, you may remove Rooting Kavu from the game. If you do, shuffle all creature cards from your graveyard into your library.)
<u>1</u> Kavu Climber [3/3]
(When it comes into play, draw a card.)
<u>1</u> Laccolith Titan [6/6]
(Whenever it’s damaged, you may have it deal damage equal to its power to target creature. If you do, Laccolith Titan deals no combat damage this turn.)
<u>1</u> Shivan Dragon [6/6, flying]
(Pay 1 red mana, Shivan Dragon gets +1/+0 til end of turn.)
<u>1</u> Horned Kavu [3/4, Bicolor]
(When Horned Kavu comes into play, return a red or green creature you control to its owners hand.)
<u>1</u> Sparkcaster [5/3, Bicolor]
(When Sparkcaster comes into play, return a red or green creature you control to its owner’s hand. When Sparkcaster comes into play, it deals 1 damage to target player.)

<b>Enchantments</b>
<u>2</u> Fertile Ground [Enchant Land]
(Whenever enchanted land is tapped for mana, its controller adds one mana of any color to its mana pool.)
<u>1</u> Maniacal Rage [Enchant Creature]
(Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and can’t block.)
<u>2</u> Crown of Flames [Enchant Creature]
(Pay 1 red mana, enchanted creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn. Pay 1 red mana, Return crown of flames to its owner’s hand.)
<u>1</u> Fires of Yavimaya [Enchantment, Bicolor, Creatures you control have haste]
(Sacrifice fires of yavimaya: target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.)

<b>Total Cards</b>
<u>66</u>

Originally posted by Cala
I was talking foil Rhox, you dolt. :P.

I have a Foil and a Normal one:P

About Decks…I Use an Elven One…It Isn’t Good…It isn’t bad…IDon’t believe at all at the OMG POWER THE ELVES ELVISH CHAMPION COAT OF ARMS WTF, i try to put tokens in Play (Verdeloth, Snakes’s Cest…stuff like that), and Use my elves to stop damage…and get mana to put the 1337 tokens in play:P

What the hell…here’s my Megrim deck.

Creatures:
1 Greel, Mind Raker
2 Hypnotic Specter
2 Doomsday Specter
2 Cephalid Broker
2 Stormscape Fammiliar
1 Nightscape Fammiliar
3 Ravinous Rats

Instants/Soceries:
4 Hymn to Tourach
2 Mind Sludge
2 Drain Life
2 Diabolic Tutor
2 Dark Ritual
1 Urza’s Guilt
2 Mind Twist
1 Recoil
2 Probe

Enchantments:
4 Megrim
1 Larceny

Lands:
14 Swamp
6 Island
2 Tainted Isle

I may stick in more Tainted Isles in in the place of Swamps if I get more.

my megrim deck. titled- urza’s gulit trip

Lands
8:swamp

8:island

2:salt marsh

Instants/Sorceries
4:urza’s guilt

3: dark ritual

4: recoil

4:counter spell

4:hymn to tourach

1:mystical tutor

1:black mail

2:chain of smog

4: duress

enchantmets/artifacts
4:the rack

2:bottomless pit

4:megrim

creatures
2:silent specter

4:Hyptotic specter

Ok, I walked in this thread late, so here are my combos…

Words of Worship + Howling Mine

Words of Worship enables you to gain five life instead of draw a card, and Howling Mine lets you draw two cards. :o

Mistform Creatures + Peer Pressure

Yeah, so it’s the theme of the Bait and Switch Deck, it’s my favorite theme. I can’t get enough of those strategic illusion cards!:cool:

As for my deck(s), I have 3. A white-black-blue deck, a red-green deck, and the Bait and Switch (blue-black). Blue is my favorite Magic color type. I cannot pwn anyone, but I try. I have beaten YP, but only because he’s new and only has a pre-made deck. He says it’s because he wasn’t getting enough mana, but that sounds like a deck problem to me.

Well, I’ve rambled enough.