Lufia and Breath of Fire: Yes or No?

I can’t even imagine anything up there in Sydney. If you can’t find it in Halifax, you can’t find it anywhere -_-;;

Well, that settles it. Tomorrow, I’ll go get them. If I don’t like them, I can just trade them for some other games. 8)

Or mail them away…to Ashy…

You’ll like them for sure. Both series are great! If you can, get BoF2 as well. :enguard:

If you don’t like them, I’ll buy them off you Dalton. I’m trying to expand my SNES collection a bit… I still need Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI, Lufia 2 and the two aforementioned games. I’d buy them off Ebay myself, but SNES cartridges have pretty ridiculous prices nowadays.

Lufia 1 was fun, BUT, big BUT, the encounter rate in the final dungeon is ‘stupidly high’. I’m talking fight every 2-3 steps here, you will buy 99 sweet waters just to lessen that rate and not go insane because those fights force you to burn supplies up like crazy.

They did, however, make me be like lv60ish by the endgame, so they had a purpose: The final bosses would have whupped me otherwise if it wasn’t for my level and the Ultimate Defense method.

One thing… DITTO!

Ninten:cool:

Actually, Lufia’s encounter rate was excruciating everywhere; add the long dungeons with confusing layouts and the continuous back and forth travel and you got yourself some good clean fun for the whole family. If your family is into mass suicide, that’s it.

As long as we are on it, BoF 1 introduces a new fun feature that thankfully never again appeared in any other game, not even in it’s own series: The Second Wave. You see, after you slowly chip away at a Boss’ HP (Which is a slow process, even with Ryu’s Dragon Morph), said Boss enters it’s Second Wave mode, which is sort of like gritting your teeth and keeping on fighting even after your power is exhausted, except for some interesting points:

[ul]
[li]Their power is not diminished in the least.
[/li][li]You can not see how much HP they have left.
[/li][li]For some odd, ungodly reason, the amount of HP for the Second Wave is even bigger than the regular amount, sometimes double and even triple.
[/li][/ul]
These characteristics make for a very interesting and long combat in which you’ll spend about ten minutes hacking away and watching anxiously how your MP meters dangerously near depletion while begging to whatever deity you believe in to letting it fucking end already. Add to that the fact that you’ll most likely be fighting some battles without the appropriate Dragon Morph because NOBODY IN THE GAME EVER TELLS YOU HOW GODDAMNED VITAL THEY ARE OR HOW TO GET THEM and you’ll be up for some serious party time.

Are you sure you wouldn’t rather have Super Metroid, SMRPG, or Final Fantasy Mystic Quest?

Nobody wants the games I’m trying to get rid of. =(

Figures.

Contrary to popular belief, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is really a fun game. And I only want to get rid of it because I have two copies.

I’m not one of the people who spouts out that it’s a horrible game because it’s not blisteringly hard or complicated, or that it’s not a “real” Final Fantasy game. I like it for what it is, which is a nice, simple, fun little RPG.

It was a nice game, but that’s all. American companies should never, ever try to copy their Japanese cousins while trying to cash on a series’ hype. Slash the “Final Fantasy” off the title and I’m good.

Hell, I’ll take those games too. If you’re serious about selling them send me a PM.

Except the game wasn’t designed by an American company as a quick attempt to cash-in on the Final Fantasy name by copying “their Japanese cousins”.

It was designed by Square FOR an American audience in an attempt to popularize the RPG genre in America so they could profit from RPGs later on. It was all a plan that ended up sort of backfiring on them.

The game you just described sounds more like Secret of Evermore which WAS designed by Americans and WAS trying to capitalize on the popularity of Secret of Mana.

The plan was to ignite a liking amongst Americans, but they aimed it towards their apparent idea of the general American consumer: People with the mentality of a six-year-old. I realize I just got my facts wrong, but my point stands: It was a lame commercial move that should have never happened in the first place.

And before someone jumps me for being a fanboy, have this in mind: If you attach a name to a product, you create expectations that you must maintain in order to satisfy the buyers. MQ might be an acceptable game by itself but it still has the “FF” attached to it, and acceptable doesn’t cut it in the major leagues.

If anything, you should be upset with the SaGa games (“Final Fantasy Legend”). They were the most blatent example of attaching the Final Fantasy name to generate profits, since they had NOTHING to do with Final Fantasy. Even Final Fantasy Adventure was considered a “gaiden” to the Final Fantasy series. And Final Fantasy Mystic Quest had some things in common with the main Final Fantasy series (Magic, Crystals, chocobo weather vanes…)

It’s almost kind of in the same position as Final Fantasy Tactics, as a game that’s kind of FF, but not really. The major difference is that FFT is generally considered “good” and FFMQ is generally considered “bad”. But I like FFMQ better than FFT (and FF8, for that matter…).

I probably would, if I had ever played SaGa that is. I have no idea why anybody considers FFA as a gaiden though.

Obviously this is up to each individual’s taste, but you have to admit something: If you look at both games’ characteristics on paper without regarding personal preferences, even if you liked MQ better, FFT was a much better game overall. And that superiority makes a whole world of difference, since people are more likely to overlook the minor issues with a title if it’s really good.

Plus, it has the best FF soundtrack ever.

The part about more hp is not true (except for the true form of the final boss). I think the second wave was cool. Most of the bosses got a new attack that made the game more challenging. I’m sure everyone remembers fighting the Gremlin and it going pretty well until the second wave and him using that hit all attack.

I have gone through the game a couple of times with only the Whelp forms until getting the great bird and the battles weren’t that much harder. The only complaint I have is that you have to get the Dragon equipment by fishing. Rod 5 isn’t too hard to get, but the game is a bit unclear about fishing in those wells.

Because that was it’s original name. Final Fantasy Gaiden: Seiken Densetsu.

Umm… yes they did get more HP. Way more HP. You could usually remove the HP bar in a round or three, but then spend dozens of subsequent rounds trying to kill the damn monsters.

I think the reason the game did this was for the same reason FF games don’t let you see a boss’s HP with Scan, but it was implemented in a wonky way. I vastly prefer how BoF2 and BoF3 handle it. And I don’t know about BoF4 or 5, because I haven’t played them.

:bowser: