Looks like I'm finnally gettin' a computer...

Well, since you have a friend that builds it for you, may I suggest some components?

(And note that these are like, minimum specs, if you can get better for a reasonable price, do so. And by reasonable I mean anything at $1000 or below)

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Harddrive: Seagate 120 GB
Memory: 512 MB DDR
MotherBoard: Uh… Anything that supports Athlon XP and DDR memory. I have an nForce myself.
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Audigy
Graphics card: Either a GeForce Whatever-number-they’re-on or an Ati Radeon 9700.
Operating System: XP. Definitely XP. If you want Linux though, I’d say get Mandrake Gaming Edition.
Network card: Whatever, as long as it’s Fast Ethernet
Monitor: Get a TFT (flat) screen if you can, else get a large regular one (17" or better)

That’s about it I think.

Originally posted by Wertigon
[b]Well, since you have a friend that builds it for you, may I suggest some components?

(And note that these are like, minimum specs, if you can get better for a reasonable price, do so. And by reasonable I mean anything at $1000 or below)

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Harddrive: Seagate 120 GB
Memory: 512 MB DDR
MotherBoard: Uh… Anything that supports Athlon XP and DDR memory. I have an nForce myself.
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Audigy
Graphics card: Either a GeForce Whatever-number-they’re-on or an Ati Radeon 9700.
Operating System: XP. Definitely XP. If you want Linux though, I’d say get Mandrake Gaming Edition.
Network card: Whatever, as long as it’s Fast Ethernet
Monitor: Get a TFT (flat) screen if you can, else get a large regular one (17" or better)

That’s about it I think. [/b]

Aye, as Wert suggested most of that would work. However, if you intend to play older games, 98 is better than XP for them.