Looking at guitars

or do what the person I mentioned above does and borrow Brian May’s Gutair.

Big Nutter

Actually, my friend has got a bunch of stuff (including a 5 string bass) off of Musician’s Friend, it’s a really good site, and the bass sounds just fine.

Musician’s Friend is a great place to buy instruments and equipment off of.

I’d say Steve’s choice of the ESP, while I think the guitar is as ugly as a piece of dog shit, ESP instruments are fairly good quality instruments for an inexpensive price. Personally if I were Steve I’d get the Epiphones, but thats just because I already own an Epiphone and I can vouch for their high-quality build and sound. I’ve got a http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=24&CollectionID=3, which is an Epiphone-Gibson G-400 based off the SG '73 special. And, although I can no longer record with it because I’ve had mine hotrodded it makes killer sound. I still think Steve should buy this: http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=208&CollectionID=3 :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m gonna buy this when I have the cash

http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=238&CollectionID=16

I’ll eventually get the Trailer Park Troubadour :stuck_out_tongue:
I just wanna get something that sounds better and looks better than my current guitar.
I can always borrow someone’s half-stack at a show ;D

I’ve got no clue about guitars, but my younger brother has a few and has been playing for a few years, and from what I’ve heard him say, I’m not sure that the sound difference between Les Pauls and Fenders are that big (though, as I said, I’ve got no clue about guitars myself, so I could be wrong). He’s got an Ibanez, his first guitar, and then he got a Fender Stratocaster, American Series (I think; he sold it though), and then he got a Fender Highwayman, I believe, then lastly a Les Paul of some sort (a gold top Les Paul, I think. Some remake or reissue or something of an old guitar). What I’ve heard him say before is that he really does like the Les Paul (partially, I think, because Slash, his favorite guitarist, plays one), but he’s not really sure if it was worth all the money to get. He likes his cheaper guitars nearly as much, and they cost something like 1/5th of what the Les Paul cost him. So it was probably a good idea to go with the ESP. But, as I said, I’m really speaking out of ignorance, and only assuming from what I’ve heard my brother say.

Fenders never get as much credit as they deserve.

And no Jango, that ESP does not “look like dog shit.” It’s one of the few attractive electrics I’ve seen. For some reason, most musicians have a hopelessly shitty sense of beauty. Good thing it’s their job to make music, and not visually appealing art.

The Flying V on the other hand… I don’t care how good it sounds. It makes me bleed from my pupils.

I wanted to get a $600+ ESP Explorer. It’s the exact model that James hetfield custom ordered once. (Diamond Plated)
Edit: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040618113828024209075207509479/g=guitar/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/516667/

I can have my opinion, fuck the bloody hell off. And you’re no prize when it comes to having a sense of beauty either.

I asked my brother and he said it depends on what kind of music is to be played. He said that the ESP is more of a metal guitar, for which reason he would go for an epiphone over an ESP (he likes the older style Rock and Guns’n’Roses…that sort of thing).

That’s why I’m getting ESP.

Let’s make baseless assumptions :smiley: I actually do have a better understanding of beauty than the common man. I’m obliged to because I’m an artist. But you wouldn’t know that, because you’re, well… stupid :smiley:

Seriously, grow up. That ESP is fuckin’ AWESOME and I don’t want a fool like you discouraging him from buying it because it apparently “looks like shit” according to someone who is full of said shit.

If I ever see your mother I’m gonna slap her for having you.

Hades, thinking you have a better sense of art and aesthetics cos you participate in any sort of fine arts is just simply false. When you make ‘art’, which you can really call anything art nowadays, you’re trying to please an audience. So, just as well, it’s really just as much their obligation to understand and appreciate ‘beauty’ than you do, because, as an audience, you have to understand many different types and perspectives. Where as, in a piece or art, you only present one perspective at a time. It’s silly to assume that one person has more of a reason to understand or appreciate art. Anyone can make anythign and call it art, and anyone can percieve any piece of work in any way they want.

Calling something art doesn’t make it art. I create it SG. If you don’t create real art, then you’re only understanding one side of beauty. You don’t create, so you have no conception of the effort it’d take to create that guitar, or how visually appealing it’d be if you color coordinated your wardrobe and the set with it at a performance.

I don’t know what Jango considers beautiful as a guitar, but if it’s anything like that flying V, which is pretty much the most aesthetically inflexible piece of crap you could ever have, then I’ve already proven him wrong.

Believe it or not, art isn’t some mysterious force that awakens spiritual fulfillment or some shit like that. It’s entirely controllable and technical, and neither you nor Jango know the first thing about controlling it, so like, stop talking.

Nutter is caught practicing Chocobo solo on his brother’s Flying V (… Screw you!)

I like My brothers old one, it was better, but he sold it and … he does tunes it more often.

Big Nutter
(Now where was i?) starts playing Flying V (Final Fantasy is an RPG, …)

Oooohh ho ho ho, NOW who’s making baseless assumptions? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve created a lot of things, and sorry, it doesn’t make you any more enlightened than the next guy. I used create food all the time when I worked in cafeterias and other restaurants, and to me, that’s about the same thing, but I also don’t think I have a better sense of art cos I can create amazing dishes, or make food ornaments or something. How many guitars have you made? I don’t doubt you’ve never made some, cos appearantly there’s a reason you’re calling me out on this, but just how many? And, I’d really enjoy seeing some screenshots of them too.

Now, if you’re talking performance art, you’re right and wrong about it being technical and controllable. Certain sounds and certain visions evoke certain feelings from people. This is controllable in a way, because you will shape visual and or performance art in a way that evokes those feelings for either you, or someone you know, or something. But, the problem is, the same thing doesn’t work for the same people. That’s why certain people like certain types of music, and that’s why certain people like certain types of artwork. That’s also why people like certain drumsets, guitars, basses, keyboards, etc. As controllable as it might be, everyone differs in their opinions. One thing might remind another of something competely different, and THAT aspect, you cannot control, no matter how hard you try. So, while it may be technical and controllable in some ways, it IS INDEED very romantic and spiritual in other ways. And if you can’t understand THAT, well, I know someone who should stop talking, buck-o. :stuck_out_tongue:

So do I. His name’s SG, that guy who based his entire argument off something taken out of it’s context. You knew when I was talking about creating that I wasn’t talking about fuckin’ FOOD :stuck_out_tongue:

Taste and Sight are two different senses, and have to be approached differently. Ok, you might be good at making food, and I KNOW you’re awesome at composing music, but you still don’t know the first thing about art.

This is why you’d be far better than me at making a totally awesome sounding guitar. It’s also why I’d be miles ahead of you at making a totally awesome LOOKING guitar. Let’s combine our skills some day and see what monstrosity we spawn.

And preferences in art come solely from associations. I associate dark red/crimson with the far east, so I do inherently like that guitar better. Maybe Jango associates it with something negative, and that’s why he hates it. At it’s most basic level though, it’s still far more visually flexible than nearly every other electric guitar I’ve ever seen in my life, and that’s why at it’s most basic level it’s a more visually appealing guitar. Do we have an understanding or are you still CLUELESS!? :stuck_out_tongue:

I am mostly appeased by your comments, except let’s get a thing or two straight:

1. Art is art. Performance Art, Culinary Art, Visual Art, it’s all Art. And it’s all art for the same reason. Whether it’s food or guitars, taste or sight, or WHATEVER, it’s supposed to please the senses. That’s what makes it art. And yes, that is why i say that almost ANYTHING can be art, no matter how ridiculous it is.

2. All I’m saying concerning Orian, is, you didn’t have to say such a mean thing to him. :stuck_out_tongue: He also didn’t tell Steven not to buy the guitar, or even try to discourage him from buying the guitar. To put it succinctly, he said “Even though I don’t like the look of the ESP, they are instruments of good quality, though they have a low price.” I think Steven cares more about the aural qualities of the guitar than the visual ones, so, I doubt that his comment will discourage Steven from buying the guitar, if he really wants to buy it.

That’s all. :smiley:

Works for me :smiley:

Heheh, you called him steven >>;

And I’m sorry Jango ;; You know how emotional I get ;; Maybe >>;

Oh, but just one thing. All of what you said IS art, I agree, and you probably realized that whenever I say art I mean visuals, but I still stand by what I said about having to approach different arts in different ways.