Light Sabre - Possible or Not?

Is it possible to make a light sabre?

A friend claims if energy could be concentrated into a single beam, and stop at a certain point, it wouldnt stop, it would keep going.

RPGC Chat say that someone tried to make one and the handle melted.

I say, its possible, but you would need something strong enough to withstand pure energy, and have something to just concentrate it into a beam that doesnt extend forever.

What are your opinions? :yipee:

Could make a beam. Though you’re right about the handle melting, and I don’t think the beam would round off at the top and you’d probably go blind looking at it.

Well, It could be rounded, like if you had like a glass covering over the beam part, but the handle would prolly melt… just a question, is the Light Sabre a “Beam” Sabre, or a “Plasma” Sabre?

Question: What prevents lightsabers from going through each other?

Heh, could be the glass casing I was talking about.

Not with present day technology.
And not very likely in the future. How would they limit the lenght of the beam? If they could make a beam like that, why on earth would they limit the lenght of the beam?

If there was a glass casing, how would you use it as a weapon without breaking it? How would it cut through things?

Either yes, when technology gets far enough (remember, 1000 years ago no one ever dreamed a car would happen either) or no, because you can’t really stop light without having a mirror or even just something at the tip to stop it. (If the light is REALLY focused, it would cut anything EXCEPT a mirror at the end of the sabre.)

That’s all I’ve ever been able to come up with, and I’ve looked up this sort of thing before with the idea of getting one. Sorry, but odds are you won’t see a real light-saber in this life, if ever.

The closest Star Wars thing you could have would probably be a laser gun… a beam of energy fired in a straight line is much easier to make than a segment of concentrated energy fixed about a solid handle.

Cless speaks truth.

I think its possible to get a lightsabre… has anyone tried? besides the morons who made the handle melt?

Go search on Google. Thousands of people have done it without melting the handle. I once even found a company that sold such stuff, but it was imorally expensive.

I accidently downloaded a document off Kazaa once that was a report on why it might be possible one day to build a lightsaber. Maybe you could try searching for it on Kazaa.

Originally posted by Ren
Go search on Google. Thousands of people have done it without melting the handle. I once even found a company that sold such stuff, but it was imorally expensive.
I don’t believe it. Link please.

I think they mean light saber as in one that glows and lights up, not one that cuts through matter as a energy weapon :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Cless Alvein
I think they mean light saber as in one that glows and lights up, not one that cuts through matter as a energy weapon :stuck_out_tongue:

Exactly.

Originally posted by Bing
I don’t believe it. Link please.

This is just one among hundreds. There are also people who do it for a hobby, and they come up with lots of different schemes to get the blade shining.

It’s physically impossible to stop light without using some sort of casing.

The closest thing that is possible now is using a glass tube and (I think) Xenon gas to produce a blue glowing effect, but that would create very high temperatures.

The blade only has to emit light, it doesn’t need to be made of light

If you want a light sabre, get a blowtorch.

Too bad it won’t CLANG against another blowtorch. Heh heh

Personally, I think they’re more like ‘force blades.’ Not really ‘laser-swords’ but a colorful and projected electron field with a sharpness factor close to infinity… or something.

What if you took a sword of somesorts, strong enough to with stand the energy without melting but the energy sort of encases the swords blade. Would that be possible?