Let's talk about Evangelion

I think it more to do with how Eva has been viewed over time and the reputation is has built over time within a certain group of people. Its like how people say “FF6 is the best RPG ever”. I don’t think that’s accurate, although the comparison isn’t that hot since FF6 was fairly decent to begin with. I think it has to do with not necessarily nostalgia, but the image which Eva has acquired. It has less to do with Eva than how Eva is perceived and what is popular to think about Eva. These kinds of things become reinforced with time and its hard to debunk them.

My comparison was objective in terms of how a show can present themes, develop characters and present an interesting setting and generate thought, irregardless of reputation. There are some shitty gundams, but there’s good stuff.

I always compared final fantasy to gundam

FF8 = Turn a Gundam cause they’re both revolutionary
FF9 = Gundam seed because they’re back to the roots stuff

And angst

You can’t say that about Turn A Gundam >_>

Tomino and the Mech designers (one of them being Syd Mead of Blade Runner fame) purposely made the mecha “unique” in design so it wouldn’t sell as much.

IMO, I like alot of the Gundam titles better than NGE. NGE was great though and quite deep. But Gundam is just more fun to watch for me. NGE the first time through, made me angry. Especially the last two eps. It’s cool to try interpreting it, but the series sometimes gives me a headache.

Gundam is simpler and more enjoyable to me. Zeta and Turn A are one of the best shows I watched.

(Let’s not mention Wing and Destiny, ok? Those shows just suck major ass)

It’s good some people here say nice things about gundam

I’ll have to disagree with that. I saw Eva more or less recently (Two years ago) without knowing almost anything about the hype and I share Pierson’s opinion.

Also, let me add another thing to his argument: Gundam tries to present a “realistic” vision of war, so when the characters do completely random bullshit it shows a lot. In Eva, the battle against the Angels is never the central point, it’s just an excuse to dissect the characters’ minds. Since the whole thing is a metaphor, I am much more inclined to let nonsensical situations slide.

/e me refers to the “making the point and integrating it are not mutually exclusive” comment to reply to Seraphim.

That’s just Wing, Seed, and Seed Destiny from what I saw. The universal century series most of the time has very realistic characters.

What?

Also, let me add another thing to his argument: Gundam tries to present a “realistic” vision of war, so when the characters do completely random bullshit it shows a lot.

Like blowing up colonies?

In Eva, the battle against the Angels is never the central point, it’s just an excuse to dissect the characters’ minds.

Yeah but the first 13 episodes are all about how they’re fighting the angels. At episode 13, like all the other anime, it’s like “OMG plotwist”

That’s just Wing, Seed, and Seed Destiny from what I saw. The universal century series most of the time has very realistic characters.

The Universal Century is also has a tightly woven plot, unlike Eva

I never said that was excusable, I was just explaining why we are more prone to blast Gundam than Eva.

Yeah I know, I was replying to Sin’s comment.

She’s a pretty flashy girl. Ops, you mean THAT Evangelion?

The only thing I have to add to this thread is that I wish those girls in bikini would really be in a remake instead of those old angels. But that won’t come true.

They’re fighting the physical manifestations of collective consciousnesses, and you think it’s ridiculous that they introduce a German exchange student? You watched the entire series, correct? They explained that NERV was gathering all potential Eva pilots into one place. Shinji’s entire class could have been drafted. Asuka was already in the Eva program, but in a different country. To simplify things, she was transfered to Japan.
And Rei doesn’t “somehow find her way” into school with Shinji, she’s placed there by Gendou and/or other NERV personnel.

And Evangelion is just centered on Shinji’s problems. In other words, it’s kiddy-centric. And shinji grows out of his problems at the end and it’s all solved for him. They say congrutations. In the real world, when you have deep psychological problems, they keep coming back

Just because Shinji is a kid doesn’t make the show kiddy-centric. Shinji hasn’t grown out of his problems at the end, not entirely. How many kids understand what an Oedipus Complex is? And “they” don’t say congratulations, unless by “they” you mean the “they” in Shinji’s mind.

You say you cant compare the two, but you’re saying Eva is more mature, and is thus better, in your opinion. Oh what irony

They did make Evangelion to sell toys. They sell a lot of Evangelion toys. And a lot of little kids do like evangelion

Stop confusing cause and effect, dammit.

Finally, I couldn’t care less about Gundam. I don’t like it, I don’t hate it.

You dont have to like Gundam, just don’t act like Eva is so much more godly

And some people think macross is better than everything. There’s good grounds to that

Most people that gave gundam a chance beleive it’s better than Evangelion

Speaking of Irony, Basara, weren’t you the one who was just saying somethign about Freedom of opinion? Like, you know, the opinion that Eva is much more godly than Gundam?

Anyway, Macross is superior to both Gundam and Eva in many ways, and inferior to them in others, in my opinion. So yes, I’d say there’s good grounds for it, but I wouldn’t say it had much of anything to do with this topic.

You are making the third thing up. It may be true, but you have no proof of back up of it at all. You are just making shit up.

Anyway, I thought Evangelion was a mess of plotholes and characterization that just went bizarre to avoid showing how poor it was, underneath a thin layer of psychosis that plagued the director, that layer masquerading beneath a thicker layer of religious imagery and metaphors leading to nowhere.
So, basically, Eva’s like a Dostoyefski novel with big robots.

Don’t bother replying to him, he’s banned already. :slight_smile:

Man I liked that.

Demigod’s right on the points he brought up.

Why did you ban him. He didn’t do anything wrong. :frowning:

Sure he didn’t, apart from spam most threads he entered, act like a total retard and generally be the biggest annoying dick on the forums.

Yay!
I mean, it’s sad that it had to come to this.

Sin, I didn’t mind it at all, and I always kinda liked Eva. I just eventually got tired to the sheet amount of bullshit that got injected into the writing sometimes.

This has been my greatest birthday in a long, long while :slight_smile:

I dont really see why he was banned, but whatever…