Let it be known! The Revolution is NAMED!

For some reason my gut tells me the wee is going to flop

…and the fact that I giggled like an immature 10 year old while typing that is further proof that the name sucks

I’m sure he did. Posting the same thing I did with the letters changed and an ugly font tag is pretty spammy.

MINE WAS RELEVANT

WREEE DOESNT SOUND LIKE WIIII AT ALL.

Seriously, I can’t say ‘Weee’ with a straight face. >_>

No. I didn’t miss it. deathstryke, though, doesn’t have a history of posting solely to up his post count and being banned for spamming; he’s allowed a senseless post every now and then. You do have a history of being banned for spamming, so you don’t have that priviledge.

If I cared about posting for the sole purpose of raising my postcount, I’d have about a million posts by now.

Considering the fact that you have close to 3k posts, after we’ve reset your postcount numerous times… >_>

Anyway, shut up.

Atwood: I think the first time you hear any name, it sounds odd. I think one of the reasons is that it’s totally different and unexpected as you said.

No, it’s because it sucks. We get your whole breaking the standards theme, the Revolution name and controller kinda let us on to that, but there’s a difference between “new and unexpected” and “random weird ass shit”. When you make a symbolic name, it’s supposed to make sense when you think it through; no one can tell what the heck “Wii” is unless you explain it. And your reply to that isn’t satisfactory at all.

But yes, it’ll inevitably become common in our vocabulary soon enough.

I didn’t think it was possible to pick a worse name for your videogame system than “The Dolphin”.

I was wrong.

Anyway, at least we know how they’re going to be marketing the system…as a casual multiplayer machine (at least, that’s what i got out of Mr. Atwood’s comments). This whole thing gives even more credence to <a href=“http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/games/fanboy.html”>A Fanboy’s Intervention</a>(specifically points 6 and 7).

Sorry, but I can’t help but lawl :frowning:

I knew it’d be good as soon as I saw it was the same guy from “A Gamer’s Manifesto”. Both are excellent points.

Point 6 is especially interesting, and while I am still holding myself from going too heavy on the controller, the more I hear about it, the more 7 makes sense. It just doesn’t work in my head.

Heh, that was really neat. And it actually makes sense, too. O_o

deathstryke, you’re also warned. Even if Setz is in trouble more.

Nintendo’s never shown a console before while still using their code name. We didn’t know what “Project Reality” would look like until it was called “Ultra 64” (and later “Nintendo 64”). We didn’t know what “Dolphin” would look like until it was called “Gamecube.” But we <I>knew</I> what Revolution was going to look like. We had a face to attach to the name. Thus, this seems a little more painful to suddenly call the NRev the “Wii,” just because we had more time to associate the face to the name.

Of course, we’ll get used to the Wii name in time. I think it will boost sales, though. The same kind of people who spend a ridiculous amount of money on Apple products due to their appearance rather than their functionality will embrace the Wii name, while the rest of us are set on buying the console for its features anyway.

(also, as a side note, I don’t see why DS or Setz’ posts (up until Setz started arguing with 984, anyway) are considered anymore spamming than anyone else who posted general WTF messages. I think they would have been pretty much ignored and chalked with the rest if no one had made a big deal)

I’d say the worst thing I’ve heard was the guy presenting the “Phantom” in an E3 interview by some people from a swedish gaming magazine. (Some DVD that came with a magazine while the Phantom was still something.)
He called it his “little stormtrooper”. ^^

I imagine that Nintendo was attempting to reach out to encompass a broader audience than flat-out hardcore gamers by naming this the Wii. However, I read that Nintendo chose to name it the Wii because people would always be going into stores looking for games for the “Playstation 360” or the “Gamebox.” Nintendo believes that this will eliminate any confusion with their system.

The name definitely sticks out, I wonder when we’ll get a release date for it though.

I mean I doubt the name will have much of an impact beyond the various jokes nerds will make up … but why not just leave it at Revolution? Wii seems kind of flaky.

But I really want to see what this game can do beyond tech demos. Stop telling me how lifelike fishing is and show an innovative gaming concept in action!!!

yeah I agree, but once Setz was warned I wasn’t going to fight over a warning with a mod, nor do I think one’s comment was any different than the other, so the warnings had to be equalized.

It currently makes me think of the Kamikaze Watermelon’s exclamation. Apart from penis jokes, anyway. That said, I’m with Penny Arcade on this one. What did they reject that would make “Wii” sound good?

I refuse to pass judgement on any game or game sytem until I have had an interactive experience with it. That being said, I have mixed feelings about the Wii. On the plus side, the backwords emulation-like gaming has me on a non-stop nostalgic high, and the idea of online Smash tournaments make my mouth water. On the downside, I’m not too excited about these attatchments like guns, swords, etc., interacting with the TV. Then again, I have to see a game first.