Legend of Mana

Just started playing this. Awesome, awesome game, if a little weird. Only problem is, how do I grow this ‘produce’? I’ve been told it’s something to do with a giant tree, but I’ve not been able to figure it out. And GameFAQs doesn’t have any useful info either. Help?

Best. Game. Evar.

To be able to grow vegies and stuff, you’ve got to do a mini-quest first. That doesn’t become available until after you’ve finished a couple other quests first. You need to place the first town, then do either Nicolo’s quest, or what’s his name, that Jumi guy. After that, you can head up to the north end (or is it west end?) of town and defeat the two sorceror kids. After that, I believe when you go to visit the garden at the side of your house, you’ll find 4 of those plant enemies (Lullabud?). Defeat them and Trent will show up. He’ll give you a few seeds to start with, then you can give him two at a time to grow plants. The speed at which they grow depends on how much mana for their type (reflected by color of the seeds/fruit) is available. Later in the game, you can get an item which creates another orchard, which is an exact duplicate of your garden, and that’s all.