Legend of Dragoon, Dragoon or Dung?

I thought the game was good even though it took me awhile to get into it. I have to agree with like everybody though the dialog was bad.

And if you would’ve been able to pick a timed hit thingy IN COMBAT from a list instead of having to set a single one outside combat, fights would’ve been much, much more interesting. (Seeing your only real changes in physical attacks come from timed hits…)

I thought the bad dialogue was one of the funniest quirks of that game. I mean:

King Albert is sitting half-naked and back bound on a pile of human skulls with a psychotic warden gleefully informing him about the current status.
Warden: “Muhahaha! This is rich! Ohh, I can’t wait to kill you!”
Albert: “…”
Warden: “Say something! At sunrise, I’ll kill you. Aren’t I such a nice guy, letting you see the sun before you die? And at that time, your country will be sized!”
Albert: “Wh-what? But the enemy promised that they would spare my country since I gave myself up!”
Warden: “Looser!”
Albert: “Argh! I am vexed!”

All except the final sentence was not an exact quote. Yes… yes, “vexed” is a great word in such a situation, sonny.

The loooong time it took before battles even got STARTED irritated me, but I thought it was an okay game. I don’t mind clichés, even if the character models were pretty much all snagged from FF7, or FF6 in Albert’s case. That’s even humorous. People make such funny faces when I describe the game as:
“A blond, spiky-haired swordsman with a lost past and his weirdly assembled group of warriors chase after a silver-haired guy in black armor, who weilds a huge sword which he uses to kill one of the heroes during the first disc!”

Those plot twists are funny too. When I played it just so Jing would get to see, she went:
“Wha-? Wait, so he… and she… and he… goddammit!” about that plot twist that Jango mentioned.

Can someone explain to me this terrible plot twist you all speak of?

I enjoyed the game, I’m not sure what it was about the game, but there wasnt much of an after taste when I finished it though. It was like, I loved it, and I kept playing it, and I beat it… But after it was done, that was it. Not like there werent fond memories, but I’m not really all swooney over it or anything. It was just good. And I think thats good, we need “good” games. Ive seen too much of a “Godly or SHITTY” style of comparison with games lately. The game is worth playing in my opinion though. Chances are, you’ll like it more than you dislike it.

Personally, I thought the game was pretty good. It had it’s flaws, but then so do most games.

The transformation sequences were what did it for me, really. It just made it so different, from all the other RPGs I had played at that time.

Eh, why not? You can never have too many internet marriages at one time.

Adn honestly, none of the plot twists were THAT surprising. I think that the only one that actually left me kinda surrpised was the one at the end of disc three.

And as a side note, about the Dragoon armors: For the most part, i thougth they were well-designed, but could somneone PLEASE tlel me who thought it was a good idea to give Shana a two-piece armor set? Call me crazy, but I always thought that the midriff was a very vulnerable part of the body in battle, so why would you leave that AND your legs completely exposed?

It turned out that the villain, who had claimed to be the good human emperor of 10000 years ago, was really the leading character Dart’s father (Kodac and Star Wars moment), hero of 10000 years ago and thought to be eternally turned to stone. He was also Rose’s, another one of the heroes and another warrior of 10000 years ago, lover. And then it all boiled down to that he was in fact possessed by the bald villain of 10000 years ago, who got stoned together with him back in the good old days.

Val: Cuz it’s SEXY!! 8P That and, if things like BRACELETS can increase your defense (in other games) then a two-piece armor should, too. Maybe it projects an invisible force field over the uncovered areas? :hahaha;

Iga: Um, wanting to kill one of my PCs is NOT my idea of “caring” about a character. Not to mention that the very fact the heroes manage to save the day WITHOUT doing what she did makes a mockery of her actions. Even her “redemption” at the end didn’t satisfy me. But as I said: personal taste.

As for the dialog, it never bothered me much. Mainly because the story was easy to follow. I hate it much more when you have an interesting, complex story (as in Wild Arms 2) and the details are obscured by the clumsy dialog. > <

Weiila: it was actually 11,000 years ago. Don’t ask me why. Maybe the writer liked the number 11. ^^

Oh god, Quest64! I loved that!

And as for LoD, i didn’t <i>like</i> it, but i didn’t dislike it. It was good filler between the big PSX RPG releases. Its certainly not one of the best, but a fun play. The combat almost reminds me of the Super Mario RPG franchise, because the “Additional System” feature of LoD is the exact same thing, ie: tap the button as your character is attacking at the right time to do bonus damage. The Dragoon combat also seems like it was just ripped from another game, this time FF8. You have to tap a bunch of buttons in sequence to do a Dragoon Additional, and charge up a meter. Its the same exact thing as “Charging” a GF in FF8. The only other gameplay aspect i can remember, is that Blocking was an intergral part of the game. Which i guess is innovative, as i dont remember any other RPG that relied so heavily on it.

I never said they were surprising. I said some of them were handled better than a certain game I will not mention.

Iga: Um, wanting to kill one of my PCs is NOT my idea of “caring” about a character. Not to mention that the very fact the heroes manage to save the day WITHOUT doing what she did makes a mockery of her actions. Even her “redemption” at the end didn’t satisfy me. But as I said: personal taste.

They made you care about her actions. Ergo, you cared. You wanted to kill her because of what she did. Others understood that it was necessary, but she failed. Others, well, they just like wanton carnage. However, that’s a plot twist that doesn’t leave you indifferent.

Plus, the heroes manage to save the day using something they didn’t even KNOW existed, There was NO Divine Dragoon back then, and as such, I suspect they didn’t know about its’ existance. How is using something like that a “mockery” of her actions?

XXX=$$$

Every little bit of skin counts :slight_smile:

Well, I LOVED LoD. I thought the battle system was so fun. I thought the way they did attacks was really cool. This is kind of making me want to play again… >.>;;