Learning's for terr'ists!

Source Quote: (Source)

[b]TALLAHASSEE — Republicans on the House Choice and Innovation Committee voted along party lines Tuesday to pass a bill that aims to stamp out “leftist totalitarianism” by “dictator professors” in the classrooms of Florida’s universities.

The Academic Freedom Bill of Rights, sponsored by Rep. Dennis Baxley, R-Ocala, passed 8-to-2 despite strenuous objections from the only two Democrats on the committee.

“Some professors say, ‘Evolution is a fact. I don’t want to hear about Intelligent Design (a creationist theory), and if you don’t like it, there’s the door,’” Baxley said, citing one example when he thought a student should sue.[/b]

This is the most retarded thing I’ve ever heard of. I really hope that it doesn’t get passed, and the idea of students being able to sue over a lesson genuinely disturbs me.

Welcome to Florida, where all progress is in the wrong direction. Everyone say “Thank you Jeb!”

i love it

Oooo. A chance to get rich!

AMERICA DON’T NEED NO STINKIN EVIL-LOUTION!

Haha. Tennessee sucks. That’s what you get, you stupid Vols.

Happy happy joy joy.

Remind me to go berserk if I ever go to the US again.

Besides, the whole creationist argument has absolutely no place in ordinary education regardless, unless we decide to teach the origin stories of every single religion that has ever existed on earth, since they’re as valid as any other religious theory. Even then, it should be tought as a religious study, not as factual education. Maybe science is wrong, maybe the earth was created when God waved his magic wand, maybe gravity is just magic, and maybe the sun is just Apollo riding his chariot across the sky. Either way, believe whatever you want, and schools might be teaching wrong information, but we can only really teach those things that we have good solid proof of.

The Norse thought that we all came out of a giant’s armpit.

That blows ALL those theories away.

You know what? If they want to teach Creationism in schools, I think to be truly fair to everyone they should teach ALL creation stories, not just the Judeo-Christian ones. :stuck_out_tongue:

This bolsters the already vast gratitude I have for living in the Northeast.

Ok sometimes I say fuck Florida. A lot of it is nice…but it’s still the South and it essentially God’s waiting room. That whole trying to ban evolution spiel has been a failed Southern crusade for ages. They just don’t know when to quit.

For a nice rant about the thorn in any liberals side, check out this

Its kind of old news now, but its still funny…

I like that, even still today.

Devillion had that linked in his sig a while ago.

That link had a lot of bullshit in it. Some truth, but some bullshit too.

Like what? Care to elaborate?

I thought it was a pretty solid rant, and he linked his sources. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think southern people are bad, I think they are just mislead, and end up voting not in the best interest of their own economic future.

well, i dont wanna get drawed into another big long debate, so i’ll stick to the part that comes to mind first.

What he said about the second ammendment and not reading the first part. A militia is an armed citizenship. If you disarm citizens, then you no longer have a militia. A militia is an armed force of citizens and civilians who bring their own weapons. While i can agree these arent exactly colonial times, there are still reasons a person should have the right to bear arms.

Don’t worry man, I wasn’t you to eat you :stuck_out_tongue: I just wanted to know what you didn’t agree with.

As for gun control, that is a whole seperate thread entirely

shore is. It’s a bit of a crossroads in schools though. Can a teacher flunk a person who believes in creation and wont write down evolution as fact ? Can that work vice-versa, could a religous teacher flunk a student for not willing to take part in a lesson of creationism ? To some extent, either with evolution or creation, no one can ever say how the original materials to make life got there. Where did the water come from that made the amino acids that spawned single celled organisms which eventually evolved into people who create atom bombs to destroy the planet which birthed them ? “It had always been there” it what the answer comes down to. But ig a public school wants to tell my kid they are going to hell for not believing in jesus, i’ll just pull my kid out and pay tuition to send them to another school.

As a southerner, and a southerner who lives a stones throw away from the really big evolution vs creationism debate that made national headlines - I’ve argued about this enough around here.

All I’m gonna say is that evolution has way more evidence to it than creationism does, but it’s still just a theory. Just because it’s a theory doesn’t mean we shouldn’t teach it. Intelligent Design isn’t even a theory, it’s just an idea. It’s not recognized by any credible scientific foundation. The idea should be proposed as an alternative, and evolution should be taught as a theory - neither should be accepted as fact until one is deemed correct and the other is proven wrong.