Learning to Drive

Yes, I’m 16.
Yes, I’m just now getting my learners permit.
Yes, I’m learning how to drive.

And never before have I ever witnessed anything so funny. I first get behind the wheel of my moms 2001 Nissan Maxima, and spend 15 minutes trying to figure out how to get the gear shift to, well, shift. Then I realize that I wasn’t pushing down the break - there we go, and we’re off to a grand start…

…right into a curb.

So now, my mother is cussing like a sailor inbetween breath sucking laughs.

Anyway, its pretty funny. I have got to be one of the worst drivers ever. I have no sense of speed at all, I can hardly tell when Im going just a bit too fast to turn, but after an hour or so I got the hang of that.

It’s interesting, because I’ve been in a car with a stoned driver, and it wasn’t until last week that I really broke down and started to get my permit and stuff. While I was doing so, I realized that there are always other people on the road that drive high, drunk, on cell phones, fucking with the cd player etc… and as I left the building with my shiny new card, and even moreso once I got behind the wheel, that I was in (partial) control of something very dangerous, and once I started moving around, I realized that it didn’t take very much to fuck up, and would probably only take a little bit more of a fuck up to kill somebody.

So to all you out there who haven’t started driving yet, dont fret it too much, but just take heed that driving isn’t all fun and giggles. It isn’t complicated, but it sure isn’t easy the first few months, and it’s sure as shit dangerous.

Just figured I’d throw that in there.

You just mentioned the reason why I haven’t started working on my getting my lisence, even though I could’ve done so more than a year ago.
I’ll stick to busses, taxis and trains a bit longer. The drivers of those hopefully know what they’re doing, moreso than me anyway.

My parents have been promising for months to take me to get my permit, but they have yet to do so. I’m 17, and I still can’t drive. I envy you.

Heh, my sister’s 18, and afraid to get her license. I’ll probably be getting mine before her.

If you think that’s bad, I’m 20, and haven’t even started learning yet :S I don’t really need to, though, unlike some people who find walking a mile too tiring for them :wink: Plus, the fact that some driving instructors over here (even the cheap ones) charge up to £15 per hour for lessons… I can’t afford that. No way. :frowning:

I love driving. I think it takes everyone some time to get the hang of it, but it takes some people longer than others.

I think it’s pretty (non)funny how in the US almost any yahoo can get a driver’s license. It’s important for drivers to do as many things as possible to decrease their chances of doing something careless/stupid/foolish that could hurt themselves or someone else, especially new drivers. They still need the time to get their skills honed in the first place.

Congrats Sorc - hopefully you won’t win this year’s curb-jumping award like my friend at work did. :stuck_out_tongue:

It takes a while to get used to. The thing is, for so long you’ve been watching your parents and other people drive and they make it seem so easy, so it really seems hard at first. However, after the third or fourth time behind the wheel, it just comes naturally. Oh, and rent a few racings games to get the hang of speed, much better than going down the freeway trying to fool around.

I just remembered the first time I rode in a car my brother was driving, for some reason he didn’t find my wearing a bike helmet funny like my parents did.

Originally posted by Sapphire Falcon
I just remembered the first time I rode in a car my brother was driving, for some reason he didn’t find my wearing a bike helmet funny like my parents did.

If your brother was already an experienced driver, then that was somewhat mean. If he was just in the process of learning, then I’d have to say what you did was cruel beyond words. Learning to drive is not easy, and there’s nothing worse than someone doing something to make you feel even more uncomfortable.

Sorc, you may want to think about taking Driver’s Training. While learning to drive with a professional isn’t that crucial for the actual driving part, it is very useful when it comes time to get your license.

I’m 17 and I just got my Learners license this February. Sorc if I were you I’d start by learning how to drive an automatic if you have one. It’s easier to start with then an standard. My N test is on teh 24th of June…gotta keep practicing.

Yo. 23 and still at permit stage. [Though I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Final-fucking-ly.]

Yeah, that was the philosophy I got from my dad early on: Driving isn’t fun. It’s WORK. It’s like a job.

There is a LOT OF SHIT to keep track of, and you can be a menace if you aren’t paying attention and/or you don’t know what you’re doing. So yeah, you do have to ease into it and learn bit by bit, gradually, in stages, and build on previous knowledge. Especially if you’re learning on a stick shift.

[It’s kinda like learning to play drums; gotta get use to having all four limbs doing different stuff at the same time.]

Although you probably don’t need 5 years and 5 renewed permits like I’ve taken. :wink:

Xelo mentioned getting used to speed and stopping distance by playing driving video games. You know, the funny thing is, I handle cars in reverse better after extensive playing of GTA3 and GTA Vice City. So there is something to that…although it’s obviously not the same.

But yeah, you’ve got a good sense of what it’s really like (dangerous and serious, not fun and games) so I think you’ll be all right. My only tip is to make sure you get all the practice time behind the wheel that you can. And don’t procrastinate. :wink:

Yeah, driving is a lot of fun, but it can be somewhat daunting in the beginning to think of all the “yahoos” on the road.

Originally posted by Kero Hazel
If your brother was already an experienced driver, then that was somewhat mean. If he was just in the process of learning, then I’d have to say what you did was cruel beyond words. Learning to drive is not easy, and there’s nothing worse than someone doing something to make you feel even more uncomfortable.

He still had his permit and it was just between the just learning phase and experianced phase, after he thought about it for a while, he found it funny.

i’m also somewhat scared about learning to drive, but i’m also willing to take the time and patience it requires.

I agree, once you’re in there for a while, you quickly develop a style and you’ve pretty much got an idea of what your doing. There is a lot of stuff to keep track of, but there isn’t a lot of new stuff to keep track, just a lot of the same old stuff.

Originally posted by Zombie_Ori
I’m 17 and I just got my Learners license this February. Sorc if I were you I’d start by learning how to drive an automatic if you have one. It’s easier to start with then an standard. My N test is on teh 24th of June…gotta keep practicing.

Now I’m not sure if the following applies in just the UK and not anywhere else, or even if this is correct, but if you take an automatic test, you aren’t really allowed to drive a manual. Whereas if you take the manual test, you are allowed to drive both manuals and automatics. I’d suggest taking the manual, it may be harder, but that should help you a little more when you get onto the road.

I dunno what you’re talkin about Urkani, so I guess it’s not the same :d

Meh, guessed not.

Originally posted by Sapphire Falcon
He still had his permit and it was just between the just learning phase and experianced phase, after he thought about it for a while, he found it funny.

Ah ok, if he took it as a joke, it’s all good. My dad used to (and still sometimes) does this thing where he’ll hold those handles at the top of the car door whenever I’m driving. I’m a very careful driver… and though I might be biased, I’ve asked other people I’ve driven around and everyone but my dad says I give a smooth ride. It REALLY pisses me off when he does that. It makes me nervous too, realizing how little faith he has in my abilities. p:unch::

Neb and Kaiser: Oh good, I thought I was the only one who’s this late. 20 and just started to learn. It’s going okay, even if I’m so scared of the speed that I don’t touch the limits ^^;; Mum’s teaching me and she’s a little too easily panicked, too.